Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Wanna ride bikes?
12,534 Posts
OP, can you give more details? Why do you need a "stronger" chain? What the application/setup? What chain lube are you using? etc. Are you breaking chains or just looking for something longer lasting?

For what? E-Bike?

The chain that last me the longest are Sram X01 and XX1 chains. I haven't tried them on an eMtb yet. A KMC Turbo e12 is still good after 2000km on my ebike, but I mostly ride in eco mode.
You're describing durability, the OP asked about Strength. Not sure if that's what he meant though.

·
Underskilled
4,932 Posts
I'm a serial chain smasher so have done a lot of work on this problem in the past.

At 9 speed kmc dominated.
I didn't do ten speed.
11 is xtr. I broke a kmc ebike 11 speed 5 times in a month.

For 12 speed I'm with one trust.
Sram use hardened steel pins on x01 and xx1.

I ran one to 27% wear (I just wanted to see how long it'd last) before I started getting shifting issues. Didn't break once.

Serious money, but performance to match.

I've not tried wipperman chains, they may be better or worse.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Agreed on some of the above comments. I've had good luck with KMC 9/10 speed chains. I agree that XTR 11 speed is the strongest, but I've had good luck with XT 11 speed chains. For 12 speed, without question it's the x01 and xx1 sram chains. Those things are nearly indestructible and do not seem to stretch.

·
Registered
14,361 Posts
Pretty amazing how much they've improved the simple chain over the years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bout time & I agree on the newer 12 speed chains with mileage.

For me an XO-1 is a no-brainer. Up until fairly recently I couldn't really say that about a specific chain.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19,326 Posts
This. XO1 is slightly cheaper and wears similarly, though.

Pretty amazing how much they've improved the simple chain over the years. I'd guess I get 3-4x the mileage out of a 12s chain vs a 9 or 10 speed chain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agree but op said strongest and if I remember right XX1 slightly beats X01 for a overall longevity.

·
Registered
227 Posts
As for strength, I'm not too concerned with any chain. I replace my chain when I should and thus, I think I broke one chain in 30 year of riding (xc rider, 125lb, and spinner rather than masher). As far as durability, that's a no brainer for me: KMC X10SL. I used to use Shimano XT chains regularly. I didn't like that even a brand new Shimano chain measured .25 stretch on my Park Tool CC-2 chain checker. After about 2 months of 4-5 times a week riding, the Shimano chain was past .75 stretch and I would replace it. I installed a KMC X10SL on 6/1 of this year and as of today (8/27), the chain checker won't even drop into the chain at the "0" reading. So, it has registered no wear thus far. I have been extremely impressed with this chain. Btw, the standard non SL KMC chain that I've tried wore about the same as Shimano chains. I do not have experience with any 11 or 12 speed chains.

Also, what I've found is that Rock n' Roll gold chain lube, tends to extend chain life. It may not result in the quietest chain, but it is definitely the cleanest lube I've used. I live in dusty Southern California and any lube that attracts dust becomes a gritty paste that hastens wear on my drivetrain.

·
psycho cyclo addict
3,433 Posts
Whipperman White Star 108's were probably my all time pick (for single speed MTB's).

I use a mix of KMC chains for 9/10 and XTR for those sometimes and exclusively for 11-speed.

The KMC's have tighter tolerances out of the box though I get more total miles out of XTR's before they wear enough to swap in a new one to preserve cassette and chain ring life.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
strongest chain… chains are really strong if you load them properly. Like… pick up a car strong. Where chains get nuked is from shifting under power. Lotta ebikes have no clue and I’m surprised the chains last like they do.

only time I ‘broke’ a chain was from a strick that wedged into my chainring and levered the chain sideways, chain broke when I tried to straighten in.

I vote strength is irrelevant, chains should be judged by anticorrosion and durability, and price. I have had no problems with kmc 8 and 10 speed chains, the pins are really hard to push out, I need to use a wrench on the chain tool.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
My apologies I probably should have been a little bit more clear, I know better. It's for a single speed that is being converted to an ebike. It's going to have quite a bit of torque so I just want something that's going to to be strong. Not looking to full throttle and spin tires I just want something that's going to hold up.
I just built a chromag stylus not too long ago which is a lot of fun to ride. My other bike is the redline monocg 29er and I feel at this time the only way it's going to get ridden is if I can put some power to it. I don't like the regular ebikes, or at least the ones that I've checked out in peron. The monocog is comfortable, it's a tank! But it's comfortable. Especially after I put these 80mm handlebars on it!
I know this kind of thing might not be for everybody but sometimes I just need to build something.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Stylus is so sweet, but heavy. Rather than ebiking ithe monocog (the shame!) why not find one of those e cyclocross bikes? Disk brakes, knobby tires and 28lbs? I just dont see the charm of a 50# ht.

If yoir new ebike will be singlespeed then i bet a kmc 8 speed would do fine. Im 185 and can push 1800w for a few seconds and those chains last me years.

·
Registered
78 Posts
How can a chain be strong, but not durable?
If it wears out quickly, or it breaks , than the chain isn't strong at all.
I know it is an old thread. I did not see an answer to this question.

Strength is the ability to withstand the application of force. A Clyde standing on the pedals trying to catch someone while riding up a steep hill in too high of a gear.

Durability is how much/far you can ride a chain before it needs to be replaced due to wear. Every chain will need to be replaced eventually.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.