-Food
-Led light

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
2 Tubes
Space blanket
First aid kit
Tool kit (fairly complete for everything needed for the bike, including spare brake pads, chain pins, chain pieces, cables, patch kit, other useful odds & ends)
Pumps (tire & shock)
Compass
Lighter
Extra clothing in cooler weather
Light(s) in winter
Lube/rag
Food
Water
Camera
Spare contact lenses

Some call my pack the suitcase, but just occasionally it saves someone's ride if not my own, so it's worth it.

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
All in my Camelbak:
-Crank Bros multi tool, best multi tool I've ever used
-2 tubes
-CO2 inflator and 2 cartrdiges
-pump for backup
-shock pump
-SRAM 9 speed power links for broken chains
-tire levers
-derailleur hanger
-wallet, keys, cellphone (turned off to keep the peace)
-camera
-water
-ibuprofen

·
Registered
736 Posts
What do I carry on the Trail?

In my Camelback: spare tube(wrapped inside and old sock to protect it), CO2 filler, 2 cartridges, small mountain pump, park Allens, Blackburn chaintool, short length of chain, 2 Sram chain links, Ibuprophin, dollar bills (to use as a tire boot), 2 GU's, spare allenbolts, rear der hanger, Boy Scout bandana,( to use as bandage, ear cover, sweatband, etc), a couple bandaids, 2 plastic tire tools, presta/schraeder adapter.
On long rides/races i add a seatpack with a 2nd tube, money. Works for me! I've helped "bail out" numerous people especially with the chaintool and Sram links.

·
turtles make me hot
11,753 Posts
willtsmith_nwi said:
Why dollar bills as tire boots. Why not just carry some duck tape. It has more uses.
Carry both. Ever try to tear a dollar bill? They're tough. Also, if you need to buy a tube from someone, you'll do better with cash than duct tape.

·
Registered
57 Posts
In my camelbak:
Small pump
park multi tool
small first aid kit with added stuff;
water purifcation tabs
12x16 piece of tin foil
thread and needle
40 feet of fishing line with hooks.
coffee filters.
small flashlight
magnisium firestarter
weatherproof matches
lighter
large trashbag
ziplock bags
space blanket
550 paracord
chapstick
bandana
4 energy bars
duct tape wrapped around a small pencil
whistle compass combo
In my saddle bag:
spare tube
patch kit
small adjustable wrench
cell phone
In my cargo pockets or belt:
Map of trail or area
leatherman surge
extra snacks
It sounds like a bunch, but it all fits nicely in a smaller cycling camelbak(not the hawg).
It adresses the 10 essentials of wilderness travel + basic bicycle repair needs.This is for summer. My winter outdoor activities I carry different set of gear.

·
mathlete
131 Posts
WOW!

I thought I was the only one to carry all that stuff. I carry most of what Cdale blue has in his list. All of it is my camel back. I've got the camelbak M.U.L.E. My multi tool is a Topeak Alien II 26. I don't carry the small adjustable wrench although I think I may through on in there for my out of town rides. I use CO2 cartridges in lieu of a hand pump. My compass is a Silva (426 guide). A shock pump too is in there for those on the trails suspension adjustments if needed.

What's in your med kit? I've got the essentials-band-aids, gause, latex gloves, tylenol, ibuprofin plus a small squirt bottle of peroxide and Krazy glue.

My riding buddies used to make fun of me for carrying all that stuff until we needed the 1st aid kit or when I've been able to make more on-trail bike repairs than I care to remember. Most of them are broken chains and taco-ed wheels. I'll go ahead and say that riding around my local trails, 90% of my gear is pretty unecessary. The trails around me are in small pockets of green belts so a short walk is only necessary to get back to a road. If i leave town to ride then I feel good I've got extra stuff in the pack plus I'll throw in a topo of our destination riding area.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Cdalebule,

Cdaleblue said:
In my camelbak:
Small pump
park multi tool
small first aid kit with added stuff;
water purifcation tabs
12x16 piece of tin foil
thread and needle
40 feet of fishing line with hooks.
coffee filters.
small flashlight
magnisium firestarter
weatherproof matches
lighter
large trashbag
ziplock bags
space blanket
550 paracord
chapstick
bandana
4 energy bars
duct tape wrapped around a small pencil
whistle compass combo
In my saddle bag:
spare tube
patch kit
small adjustable wrench
cell phone
In my cargo pockets or belt:
Map of trail or area
leatherman surge
extra snacks
It sounds like a bunch, but it all fits nicely in a smaller cycling camelbak(not the hawg).
It adresses the 10 essentials of wilderness travel + basic bicycle repair needs.This is for summer. My winter outdoor activities I carry different set of gear.
I see you and I as well as few others carry alot of stuff. I have a few questions.

1: Coffee Filters are for?
2: 550 paracord?
3: 12x16 piece of tin foil? Is the foil for taking slop out of a pivot?

I would like to add to these to the "got it covered list".

The pulley's and allens for the Rear Der. I have them wrapped in Metal Tape along
with the other goodies in a bag.

A tire gauge.

My never used on the trail,but alway's have,Morningstar "Drumstick" made out
of AL. The end of the handle can be used as a tire lever. It can True you're Rotor
for those who dont know. Very Light. I also have a Quick Stick which I rap the handle
in duct tape.

1 roll of that White Sport's wrap Tape

The cool tool,that first aid kit,the whistle,the blanket{it works},ID is a must.
Money is a must,TP and Zips. I pert near have everything. Yes,they make fun of me.:skep: Peace,I'm out.

MTK

·
All my faucets is Moen.
1,293 Posts
BikeLazer said:
my bike never brakes and i've never flatted.:thumbsup:
I rode for about three years before ever having a flat and never carried anything. One night, just before dark, I was spared a 3 hour walk home my a member of a local club who stopped and gave me a tube. Now I carry all the necessities. Not only for myself but incase I have to pay it forward.

Chaintool
Multitool
Tire Levers
Patch Kit
Tube
Extra Chain Links
Minipump
Rubber Gloves

·
Registered
57 Posts
MTK said:
I see you and I as well as few others carry alot of stuff. I have a few questions.

1: Coffee Filters are for?
2: 550 paracord?
3: 12x16 piece of tin foil? Is the foil for taking slop out of a pivot?

I would like to add to these to the "got it covered list".

The pulley's and allens for the Rear Der. I have them wrapped in Metal Tape along
with the other goodies in a bag.

A tire gauge.

My never used on the trail,but alway's have,Morningstar "Drumstick" made out
of AL. The end of the handle can be used as a tire lever. It can True you're Rotor
for those who dont know. Very Light. I also have a Quick Stick which I rap the handle
in duct tape.

1 roll of that White Sport's wrap Tape

The cool tool,that first aid kit,the whistle,the blanket{it works},ID is a must.
Money is a must,TP and Zips. I pert near have everything. Yes,they make fun of me.:skep: Peace,I'm out.

MTK
1. coffee filtres can be used as tp or tinder, Tissue paper, or make coffee or prefiltrer for removing particles in water.
2. para cord is great for tying anything and can be split for thread or more fishing line.3.Tin foil is very useful, considering how compact it is. Can be used to cook fish, boil water.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.