Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Trek Top Fuel 9.8 GX/X01
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During a race, what gear do you carry with you (assuming there isn't a tech zone)? May be useful to break into races under an hour and races over an hour, as you might carry more on longer races. For example, chain master link, spare tire tube (even if running tubeless), tire repair kit, tools, etc.?

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Under an hour or close to it, nothing but water.

Above 1.5 hours, pretty much everything to make it on my own:

Camelbak or enough water
Multi-tool (with chain breaker)
Spare chain quick link
Mini pump or tank (usually just pump)
Bacon (with tool) or tube

If you are fighting for the 1st place and the course has significant climbing it might be worth it to just risk it and carry nothing, but if you are not is not worth the hassle imo as many times you will encounter some issue that is fixable with the proper tools.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
During a race, what gear do you carry with you (assuming there isn't a tech zone)? May be useful to break into races under an hour and races over an hour, as you might carry more on longer races. For example, chain master link, spare tire tube (even if running tubeless), tire repair kit, tools, etc.?
For most races I carry what I carry on most rides

Multi Tool - SWAT - In holder
IN SWAT Box
Master Link
Tire bacon (plugs)
CO2 & head
Tube (Tubolito)
tire lever
Tire boot

Pump in jersey pocket
and for races only I carry a GUP sealant/Inflator. It adds weight, but will be much fast if I get flat. I don't both for casual rides, but if I can save me 1 minute in race it is worth it.

For really long (5-6+ hr ) backcountry races I carry a camelbak with water and more extensive spares including shift cables. This mostly because if sh!t goes bad I might be 25 miles from rescue.

I did a 24 hour solo race with 1:20 laps and carried my normal sprint race set-up since I was back to my full spares every lap. For Breck epic I put a few more spares in my aid bags (like extra tubes, chain lube, C02) in my aid bags. Plus given how many racers in course I felt I could get by with minimal spares.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I raced a 15 mile course recently, carried my hydration pack with the normal tools but removed a few items to reduce weight on my back (comfort). But wanted to make sure to at least fix the bike and ride out should something happen.

On a short 8 mile loop (duathlon), I got to where I quit carrying anything. The challenge was the water, hard to drink when racing on single track. Riding it is one thing, racing it is another. I raced the duathlon about 6 times, most times with the hydration pack until maybe the final 2 that I raced in. That race has a fire road a couple times so it's easy to take sips from the bottle then.

The 15miler I rode though would have been nearly impossible to snag a drink without sacrificing time, repeatedly. I'm not super fast, the 15 mile was 1:40. That's a long time to go without a drink, or with a splash of water from time to time. I did carry the bottle with Heed but I was only able to grab one or 2 drinks of it on an open straight area of a slight climb.

I did race once last year and don't think I carried anything. Four miles up a fire road and 4 miles down the single track. I was never too far away to walk it back if I had a mechanical...and it was too quick/short to fix anything and still race.

·
Armature speller
Unit, Anthem, Stumpy, Secteur
4,598 Posts
Under an hour, nothing.
Assuming no aid stations...
Up to 1:30, water. Either bottle if the tracks are a little more open and gives you a chance to drink safely, or a small runners hydration pack (1L, half filled).
Around 2hrs, bottle with electrolyte/carbs etc and a gel or 2. Pump, tube, multitool, tyre plugs.
>2hrs, bottle with carbs, gel per hour + 1 spare, runners pack with 1L water, tube, plugs, pump, tool, cellphone.

I've got a small pouch (100x150x30) that takes a pump, plugs, tool, valve cores, core tool, master links, $$$, forest riding permit. Fits in a normal jersey rear pocket.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,216 Posts
Also, depends on how remote the trails are. 15 miles of a 3 mile lap vs 8 miles out n back...then magnify that for longer races.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
As little as possible. Nothing for CX, no bottle cages. Minimal tools for xc laps, a mini-pump just in case, but I've not flatted since going tubeless about 6 years ago (I did get a leak/puncture and finished on a low/flatting tire early this year).
Minimal includes: chain tool and extra link, 2 allen wrenches, tiny slug-plug tubeless hole patcher, and the small pocket pump.

One cool trick I picked up from a racer competitor/friend; tape your two most common size allen wrenches to the sides of your stem (one per side). If you do need one for a quick tighten or adjustment, there's no digging around for it. A teammate needed one during a race a year+ ago, I was able to hand him the right wrench as I passed him, and he was back in the saddle in 30 seconds, plus they're disposably cheap.

Like others have said, more stuff (like a spare tube) if the walk out would be really long.

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
Under an hour...multitool, though I don't recall any recent races that were finished that quickly.

Multi-lap races (where I can get to my car if needed)....nutrition, multitool.

Longer races...above plus seat bag with CO2s, levers, chain tool. Tube(s) in jersey pocket. Some of our races last up to 6 or 7 hours, which fortunately include aid stations.

·
Rides all the bikes!
4,489 Posts
Anything less than two hours is a short race :lol:

Depends on the course. If it is one 20+mile loop with no support...I carry tube, CO2, tools, etc. Stuff for the most common failures.

Multilap XCO format, nothing. I'll probably drop out if I have a mechanical.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.