Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here goes; I'm new to this site and have since been re-born to ride. I am looking to spend up to about $1200, and will be using the bike as a XC ride. Having been doing some research, I have found quite a few that look to "fit" my needs. Some are online, and others are at my local shops. I'm a bit leary of an online bike because of fitment and service issues. Any advice that you all have would be appreciated. I'm 6' tall and weigh 185. Here is a list of rides that at least seem to be good bikes, in random order.

Ibex Atlas Sport
http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/ATLAS-SPT-Details.html

Ibex Asta Comp X7
http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/ASTA-COMP-X7-Details.html

Trek Fuel EX5
http://www2.trekbikes.com/bikes/bike.php?bikeid=1161600&f=12

Specialized FSR XC
http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=22037

Giant Trance 3
http://finishlinebikes.com/itemdetails.cfm?catalogId=39&id=1223

IronHorse MKIII Comp
http://www.rscycle.com/s.nl/it.A/id.8028/.f?sc=7&category=55

IronHorse Azure Comp
http://www.rscycle.com/s.nl/it.A/id.8093/.f?sc=7&category=55

Motobecane Fantom Comp DS
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/fantom_cds07RRLOCK.htm

The Specialized, Trek, and Giant are local while all the others are online. What if you buy a bike online and end up not liking it? Can you return it? What about servicing? The Trek and Specialized get free tune ups for life, which is damn cool.

I have to say that I'm overwhelmed with what is out there these days. Its been about 12 years or so since I was riding last. PLEASE HELP!!! Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,857 Posts
Most online bikes should have a geometry chart, stating Effective top tube length, standover, and more.
Use
http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=FIT_CALCULATOR_INTRO
This calculator by inputting some measurements to get your recommended lengths. This way you can find out the perfect fit of a bike just by looking at the geometry of bikes.

I know the Ibex and Iron horse show measurements, I don't know where you can find the motobecanes though.

All the Iron Horse/Ibex are all well spec'd and priced.
The Giant is worse spec'd than the Specialiezd FSR XC or Trek Fuel.

The Ibex Atlas, Iron Horse MKIII Comp are all mountain bikes, which are slightly heavier but are made for larger drops.

The Ibex Asta, Trek Fuel, Specialized FSR XC, IH Azure Comp, and Moto FC DS are more xc oriented, which means you would be sticking to the ground more and less jumping.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,878 Posts
all the bikes you listed are good choices. if you buy online you will get better components than what you'll find on a similar priced bike from a bike shop. is saving a few bucks and getting slightly better components worth it if the bike ends up not fitting? thats what you'll have to decide. being 6' you'd probably would fit well on a large sized bike. all the online companies have different return policies, make sure you check them out thoroughly before buying. most companies will exchange bikes for a different size, you will just have to pay for shipping.

i bought an ibex for my first real mtb. i didnt even try any other bikes before buying my ibex, i just figured that for the price i cant pass up on such a deal. being an averaged sized rider (5'10") is wasnt all the concerned about sizing so i went with a medium sized bike and it fits like a glove. buying online was a pretty positive experiance, i definately wouldnt hesitate to buy online again.

most shops should service any bike regardless of brand but there are some anal shops out there that only service bikes that they sell. if you do get free lifetime tune-ups at your lbs thats a pretty compelling reason to buy locally.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
InvictaS1 said:
all the bikes you listed are good choices. if you buy online you will get better components than what you'll find on a similar priced bike from a bike shop. is saving a few bucks and getting slightly better components worth it if the bike ends up not fitting? .
Are the more expensive components really that much better than the middle of the road version? Will they last longer, or hold up better?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,857 Posts
Last longer, hold up better, are lighter, perform better, have more functions, etc.
It's expensive if your components keep breaking and you have to replace them, so it's better just to get the most for your $$.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,878 Posts
BadBoyRipper said:
Are the more expensive components really that much better than the middle of the road version? Will they last longer, or hold up better?
usually the more expensive components are lighter than cheaper components, durability is probably the same. you really want to pay attention the the forks, shocks, and brakes. thats where there might be some big differences between bikes, and those are big $$$ items.
 

·
BrassBalled DropbarNinja
Joined
·
11,813 Posts
For XC riding, the bikes you'd be looking at in your list would be Ibex Asta, Trek Fuel EX5, Specialized FSR XC, Giant Trance 3, IH Azure and the Motobecane Fantomp DS Comp. I cant speak for any of the other bikes as i've not ridden them but i have ridden an 06 Ibex Asta. It was the bike which made me sold to Ibex. XC bike with AM capabilities.

if you're not sure about fit for any of the Ibex bikes... give jack at Ibex a call and he'll fit you up based on your measurements... I've had a very good experience with Ibex and so have many of my other Ibex friends... If you've got a problem, i'm sure they'll make sure you're taken cared off...

Oh, and did i mention that their bikes are awesome???
Me on my Ibex
 

·
Freshly Fujified
Joined
·
8,199 Posts
Check the Ibex Forum

If you want information regarding the Ibex bikes, I'd take a look at the Ibex forum. Ibex does accept returns, but there may be a restocking fee. Warranty service is handled in a number of ways, depending on the circumstance. Buying direct isn't for everyone, but if you do your homework up front and choose wisely, the chances of having a good buying experience and overall satisfaction with your purchase are much higher. I've purchased three bikes online, and am about to buy my fourth (and my second Ibex, btw). All have been very positive experiences.

As for a choice for you from that list, given your description of XC riding and your height and weight, I like the Asta Comp X.7.

Bob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
739 Posts
BadBoyRipper said:
Ok here goes; I'm new to this site and have since been re-born to ride. I am looking to spend up to about $1200, and will be using the bike as a XC ride. Having been doing some research, I have found quite a few that look to "fit" my needs. Some are online, and others are at my local shops. I'm a bit leary of an online bike because of fitment and service issues. Any advice that you all have would be appreciated. I'm 6' tall and weigh 185. Here is a list of rides that at least seem to be good bikes, in random order.

Ibex Atlas Sport
http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/ATLAS-SPT-Details.html

Ibex Asta Comp X7
http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/ASTA-COMP-X7-Details.html

Trek Fuel EX5
http://www2.trekbikes.com/bikes/bike.php?bikeid=1161600&f=12

Specialized FSR XC
http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=22037

Giant Trance 3
http://finishlinebikes.com/itemdetails.cfm?catalogId=39&id=1223

IronHorse MKIII Comp
http://www.rscycle.com/s.nl/it.A/id.8028/.f?sc=7&category=55

IronHorse Azure Comp
http://www.rscycle.com/s.nl/it.A/id.8093/.f?sc=7&category=55

Motobecane Fantom Comp DS
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/fantom_cds07RRLOCK.htm

The Specialized, Trek, and Giant are local while all the others are online. What if you buy a bike online and end up not liking it? Can you return it? What about servicing? The Trek and Specialized get free tune ups for life, which is damn cool.

I have to say that I'm overwhelmed with what is out there these days. Its been about 12 years or so since I was riding last. PLEASE HELP!!! Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:
All pretty nice bikes, I like the looks of the trek the best, it has a similar drive train to the azure comp.

The Iron Horse Azure Comp 2006 (Cross Country) has a nice Reba SL fork which is a great XC fork, but older sram components.

The specialized FSRxc Rim has rim brakes and non disc specific rims, if you are getting a FS get disc specific rims and disc brakes

I personally think IBEX has the better component specs of all the bikes mentioned.

The trance 3 has a pretty low level shock and brakes on it.

I say your best bests are the ibexes, IH and the trek.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, so I've narrowed it down to the Ibex's, the Trek, and the Ironhorse Azure. The Ibex is looking really good, as I'm starting to get over my fear of an online bike purchase. I'm getting closer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,878 Posts
have you checked out that trek at your local shop yet? if so any idea what you can get it for? i'd see if you can get the EX-6 for around $1200. the trek has cheapo platform pedals on it, you'll want to swap those out for something better if you do go with the EX-5.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah the Trek was actually the first bike that I looked at. I think that the EX5 is 1200, and the EX6 is around 1600. I'll have to call tomorrow to find out for sure. I really like the Trek's. I just found out that a girl that my buddy is seeing works there, so maybe I can get some sort of a discount.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,878 Posts
i think it says on the trek site that the ex6 is like a little over $1400 msrp so you should be able to get it for less than msrp. trek does make nice bikes and their warranty policy is one of the best. the ibex bikes still have a lead over even the ex6 when it comes to components.
 

·
Gus, just Gus.
Joined
·
147 Posts
I rode the Trance last year and loved it. One of the best pedaling FS bikes I have had the pleasure of trying.

Have never ridden the other bikes.... so no help there.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top