Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like how their bikes ride, as many variations as there are of the four link suspension design, GG has come up with a lay out that just seems to work really well, plush, supportive, and very usable.

I like all the variability in GG bikes, from the geo adjust headset to the multiple seat stay options. I also like the over and under stroking options.

I like that GG is a domestic frame builder, and the only one who builds with carbon.

I want to wish the GG family a happy holidays and I look forward to what the new year brings; secretly wishing for a high pivot short travel 29er 😊

·
Registered
76 Posts
I like how their bikes ride, how they look, and I like how customizable they are. I really liked how we could pick just about any color scheme back in the day when I built my Pedalhead.

I like that they are handmade in my favorite state, that they are so easily accessible to their customers, and the fact I can ride down to the factory/showroom anytime I want and visit, (in a non Covid world anyway)

I just like GG all around.

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, picking a color or even going raw was a nice option, klinda wish they'd go back to that ...

I've been thinking about getting my link anodized, like Canfield does.

Reactions: stripes

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
11,527 Posts
I have a 2018 aluminum Smash -- one of the final aluminum frames to roll off GG's assembly line. The most refined version of the aluminum frame series that GG produced before going to revved carbon. I still love it.
Besides what's already been said, I'll add:
  • I bought an aluminum frame bike because that's what I wanted*
  • I prefer externally routed cables -- that's what this bike has
  • I prefer threaded BBs -- that's what this bike has
  • I like the Syntace rear axle system
  • I've replaced my frame bearings (tho they didn't require it) -- it's not hard to do
  • Frame design is well thought out & frame construction well executed
  • It didn't take long for this bike to become an extension of my impulses. It fits, it's tight, it's responsive -- a supurb tool for playing Trail Tetris. My Smash is not the first bike I've owned that responds in solidarity to my mind, but over the years I've owned a few bikes that didn't do so -- I can say with certainty that life is much better when a bike serves its master with aplomb, poise, assurance, confidence. This one does.
=sParty

*Aluminum frames are what GG offered at the time. Not to imply that I wouldn't be happy with a GG carbon frame, too. At the time I bought my Smash, no one on the outside knew that GG would switch to revved carbon frames within 6 months. Just a long way of saying I started out happy and remain that way. FWIW I owned a GG Pistola prior to buying the Smash. I loved it just as much, it was simply the wrong frame size.

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
How about something positive and uplifting?
It's all positive and uplifting, except when I'm trying to lift it into the back of my truck. That's when I actually notice the weight.

I'll start with the fact that I'm not made of money and try to buy products that will last a long time. My Megatrail still feels like new at almost four years old and is extremely well made. The geometry was pretty ahead of its time when I bought it and it holds up quite well in comparison to new bikes these days. Except for those tiny wheels.;)

The versatility is pretty amazing. I bought it as a Megatrail SS, aka Shred Dogg, and when found out that I could actually ride some pretty gnarly trails, I extended the fork and shock travel (no cost) to make it a full Megatrail. I'm not going back anytime soon.

The ride feel instills loads of confidence and the fit is perfect. When I put it in gravity mode, I feel like Superman on the trail and will happily send it into stuff that would have terrified me a few years ago.

It's very easy to work on with the exposed cables.

US made. That means something to me.

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's all positive and uplifting, except when I'm trying to lift it into the back of my truck. That's when I actually notice the weight.

I'll start with the fact that I'm not made of money and try to buy products that will last a long time. My Megatrail still feels like new at almost four years old and is extremely well made. The geometry was pretty ahead of its time when I bought it and it holds up quite well in comparison to new bikes these days. Except for those tiny wheels.;)

The versatility is pretty amazing. I bought it as a Megatrail SS, aka Shred Dogg, and when found out that I could actually ride some pretty gnarly trails, I extended the fork and shock travel (no cost) to make it a full Megatrail. I'm not going back anytime soon.

The ride feel instills loads of confidence and the fit is perfect. When I put it in gravity mode, I feel like Superman on the trail and will happily send it into stuff that would have terrified me a few years ago.

It's very easy to work on with the exposed cables.

US made. That means something to me.
I really liked my aluminum Smash, maybe more than my Revved frames, but that could be some reminiscing....

The Revved frames have a stiffer rear triangle and they’re more versatile, but my Smash in raw was a beauty.

I’m seriously contemplating some custom anodizing, the link, maybe the stays. I should have done it when I had multiple frames, dumb 🙄

·
always licking the glass
2,388 Posts
One of the things I've been really happy with is the AL Shred Dogg/Megatrail and Revved Megatrail is that it lets me try things I wouldn't originally try to do on other bikes. I have a lot more confidence to try things than I ordinarily would walk.

I love how "hackable" the bikes are. You can change the shocks, short stroke them, change out chainstays, and replace the lower headset cup. While it can get you a lot of analysis-paralysis as a new person, for me it's enabled me to try a 29er without losing money, and I'll be able to try other bikes in the future this way.

·
Registered
51 Posts
It has taken me some time to write a response to this, simply because it is hard to pinpont one (or a few) particular things I love about my Revved Smash. That said, there are a few things that I have at the top of the list. The Smash is the most versatile bike I've ridden, and can plow through everything I am physically capable of throwing at it without feeling over-matched but also is a blast on long flowy trails and handles steep technical climbs like a much lighter xc bike (even with a coil). It is a rock solid speed demon when needed, but totally flickable when you want it to be. I could take the adjustments infinitely further with all of the built in options (different suspension configurations, headset adjustments or even swapping chainstays for an entirely different bike) but I feel like I have it set up perfectly for my riding whether I'm squeezing in a quick xc ride or spending the day out at Raging River or Tiger.

And it is damn sexy. I know it is subjective, but to me the GG bikes are by far the best looking MTBs on the market right now. I wanted to get one since way back when they were making the beutiful raw aluminum sleds, and now that I have one It is made in America, by an innovative company that seems to have cool people who are doing cool things for biking. I have confidence if I ever had an issue with the bike they'd sort it out.

There's a fantastic community of GG enthusiasts who are passionate about their bikes and they spend time on this forum discussing their different setups, ideas, etc. and provide informative feedback. There's the brand ambassadors who go way above and beyond, connecting fellow GG riders, offering insights, and helping others get in touch with Guerrilla Gravity.

The list could go on and on.

·
Registered
14,358 Posts

I'm riding a 2018 metal Smash. 2021 will be the 4th riding season on that bike. It's such a fun versatile machine. I've got it dialed now and plan to keep it for many more years. Aside from the great bike GG has been really nice to work with when I have needed post-sales support and the two GG Meet Ups I've been to were a lot of fun. (y)

I'm looking forward to see what GG has in store for new product and tweaks in 2021. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts