Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you've probably noticed its an 04, but theres not much stock left on it...
I ride DH and freeride so thats what I based the bike on.
The first modification was the bars and stem, then new travel plates, followed by a complete re-vamp of the drivechain and finally a fork upgrade.
I was a bit concerned about putting a 200mm triple on the coiler, but I went for it, and thankfully its pretty sweet. :D
I took about a year to finish the bike, but I did it now because Im getting the cash which I probably won't be getting later.
Now all I have to do is wipe the oil off my hands and jump on! :eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice bike!!!

That would be super for FR and 4X, and im loving the 24 rims!
Lots of people seem to be putting pikes onto their coilers - any particular reason? They look pretty sturdy anyway - definately up to the frame's standards :)

How do the 24 rims compare to the standard 26's? is there still plenty of tire clearance?

I'm wondering what the max. tire width i can run on it is - someone said a 2.4in is fine and a 2.5in would have to be perfectly true...

Good job man!

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
grahamjtriggs said:
Nice bike!!!

That would be super for FR and 4X, and im loving the 24 rims!
Lots of people seem to be putting pikes onto their coilers - any particular reason? They look pretty sturdy anyway - definately up to the frame's standards :)

How do the 24 rims compare to the standard 26's? is there still plenty of tire clearance?

I'm wondering what the max. tire width i can run on it is - someone said a 2.4in is fine and a 2.5in would have to be perfectly true...

Good job man!
Pikes are just excellent forks. I wanted to give it a try after blowing up 5 Rockshox forks in the past. I've had good experience with Manitou but I didn't want to wait for the new Travis. And the travel adjust on the Sherman breaks very easily (otherwise they are my favorite forks). And I've busted 3 Marzocchi forks, none of which were warrantied. That really limits my choices for a burly singlecrown fork.

I like the 24s. The bike handles real nice with them. Lowered BB height makes getting over things a tad difficult sometimes (especially with a 36t ring) but I'll deal with it. on 24s, I can easily fit a Nokian Gazzalodi 3.0 in the rear with room left over. I haven't tried cramming a 3.0 in the Pike yet. It will be VERY close. I have wide rims too...

Most problems with running wide tires on Coilers is that the chainline is too close to the frame. If you run too wide a tire, the chain will rub on it. I know that with my Gazzis I can only run on the bottom 3 gears of my cassette.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
that coiler is a monster. those dangerboys look slick. This coilers got aspirations of becoming a stinky

·
Registered
100 Posts
where did you get the travel plates from and how do you like them?

the 24" wheels look good, been thinking about that for urban stuff.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Couple questions....

grahamjtriggs said:
As you've probably noticed its an 04, but theres not much stock left on it...
I ride DH and freeride so thats what I based the bike on.
The first modification was the bars and stem, then new travel plates, followed by a complete re-vamp of the drivechain and finally a fork upgrade.
I was a bit concerned about putting a 200mm triple on the coiler, but I went for it, and thankfully its pretty sweet. :D
I took about a year to finish the bike, but I did it now because Im getting the cash which I probably won't be getting later.
Now all I have to do is wipe the oil off my hands and jump on! :eek:
First of all, sweet bike. Those are BETD plates right? I see you used the inner most setting on the plates. How much travel do you now have in the rear?

The reason I ask is that I just received the same plates myself for my 04 Coiler dee-lux. Now, a rep at BETD told me that the outer most setting will give 5 inches and the inner most will give 6 inches of travel on coilers. That's what confuses me. Since the bike already has 5 inches in the rear from the factory, and the BETD plates are much longer than the original plates, wouldn't one get 6 inches on the outer most and 7 inches on the inner most settings?

Bobby

·
Registered
97 Posts
redstar said:
also how much did the plates cost you and where did you get them?
Those look like BETD plates (https://www.betd.co.uk). I just got the same ones. They cost me about 200 including the shipping. These plates are a nice piece of work. Great customer service over there also. Way better than Kona, who would not even return one of my emails when I was inquiring about longer plates.

Bobby

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yep they are from BETD and they do work a treat!
i thought there would be too much 'uncontrollable' travel, but the shock has rebound adjuster, so my back end stays in controll :D
only thing is, i'm gonna need to get a stiffer spring - i can use up nearly all the shock's travel just by bouncing on flat...and i'm 10stone.
cheers ;)

·
Registered
97 Posts
grahamjtriggs said:
yep they are from BETD and they do work a treat!
i thought there would be too much 'uncontrollable' travel, but the shock has rebound adjuster, so my back end stays in controll :D
only thing is, i'm gonna need to get a stiffer spring - i can use up nearly all the shock's travel just by bouncing on flat...and i'm 10stone.
cheers ;)
Hey Graham. Check out my post (4 before this) and let me know what you think about my questions to you. Thanks.

Bobby

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Bobby,
You are correct - The innermost setting gives me 7in and the outer setting gives me 6in...
I don't understand why the BETD rep said they give 6in and 5 in, maybe he made a mistake. anyway, 7in and 6in is definately what I have, it even says it on the plates.
These are the exact ones I have:

Kona Stab 01 and Stinky 02 to 04

Kona Stab 01 (6" and 7") Stinky 02 Primo and Delux. Stinky 03 and 04 frames, and the 04 Coiler.
Price includes fitting kit and bearings
Price: £100.00

Hope this helps you,
Best ;)

·
Registered
97 Posts
grahamjtriggs said:
Hi Bobby,
You are correct - The innermost setting gives me 7in and the outer setting gives me 6in...
I don't understand why the BETD rep said they give 6in and 5 in, maybe he made a mistake. anyway, 7in and 6in is definately what I have, it even says it on the plates.
These are the exact ones I have:

Kona Stab 01 and Stinky 02 to 04

Kona Stab 01 (6" and 7") Stinky 02 Primo and Delux. Stinky 03 and 04 frames, and the 04 Coiler.
Price includes fitting kit and bearings
Price: £100.00

Hope this helps you,
Best ;)
Thanks man. That helped a lot. I'll post pics of my bike once all the mods are done.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts