Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
just installed and weighed a set of Formula R1's (older) and got 165/180 (f/r)
I've had 2 sets of these and love'm you have to deal with calling luigi up in milan to get parts (FYI all the aluminum fasteners/bolts are very soft..be careful and use good tools) but pads are readily available and once you get the bleed procedure down its not that bad. (although i think all brakes are like this...FYI the bleeder attachment for the lever takes a wierd low-profile one that you gotta hunt for a bit)

·
Registered
30 Posts
In a perfect world the formula cura are the lightest per dollar - in the real world where you need replacement parts and service the magura MT5 are the best brakes per dollar.

·
Registered
777 Posts
In a perfect world the formula cura are the lightest per dollar - in the real world where you need replacement parts and service the magura MT5 are the best brakes per dollar.
This is true, i've striped 2 of the tiny bleed screws and had to order them, from a weird site in europe where it takes weeks and a good chunk of change for a tiny bleed screw that costs pennys. The carbon foot print, time and money alone is enough for me to throw 'em out but i'm addicted to the Formula's modulation and weight.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
You can’t give the title of best brakes without taking into account what a HOT Mess Magura brakes can be, cost of pads, ability to service or not to service reliably (seals, stripped plastic screws). Lifetime cost to own those brakes is much higher than out of the box. They do not stand up to wrecks and misuse.

For the price, give me XTRs on sale. Sub 400 grams, will actually stop my bike and hold me up on a super steep rock face.

Modulation is a luxury, stopping is a necessity. While an mt5 may stop, not all others do as well. On the bright side, my first race win ever came when I had zero rear brake on my Magura simply due to an extreme temperature drop. :) not braking = going very fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
I've been on Maguras for years now and haven't experienced those issue.
There was a learning curve to bleed them properly but once I committed to taking my time and doing it right, it was easy.
They have been good brakes.
That said, for my primary bike I've ordered TS brakes.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
viva la v-brakes!
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
UPDATE: corrected some data and sorted by weight (this is the weight weenies forum after-all)

Ok, taking the new forums software for a test-drive...

This is what I have come up with after some research. I won't claim this is all accurate. Most is measured weights but some claimed weights are in there when not available.

I have to say, I'm really leaning towards moving to Magura for my brakes. Good price to weight ratio, especially for the MT4/5/Trail for my secondary bike and well regarded. Cross compatibility of the parts right down to the levers is also appealing. I also like that I could get plastic brake levers for my fat bike. Why aren't these more popular in North America? Just because they aren't OEM on any bikes?

Reactions: localn8ve

·
ACHOO
4,434 Posts

I have to say, I'm really leaning towards moving to Magura for my brakes. Good price to weight ratio, especially for the MT4/5/Trail for my secondary bike and well regarded. ...
I've run XTR, R1R and others over the years. While XTR was the most set-it-and-leave-it over that time, I always felt the power lacking. (I'm 200lbs kitted.) Switched to MT5 a couple of years ago and am very pleased.

Power is overwhelming, so will take some getting used to, but ultimately it means a lighter touch/effort is required which is great for hand fatigue on longer rides. I also like the larger levers, but that's just my personal taste.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Ok, taking the new forums software for a test-drive...

This is what I have come up with after some research. I won't claim this is all accurate. Most is measured weights but some claimed weights are in there when not available.
View attachment 1906652

I have to say, I'm really leaning towards moving to Magura for my brakes. Good price to weight ratio, especially for the MT4/5/Trail for my secondary bike and well regarded. Cross compatibility of the parts right down to the levers is also appealing. I also like that I could get plastic brake levers for my fat bike. Why aren't these more popular in North America? Just because they aren't OEM on any bikes?
Level ultimates are heavy.

478 for a pair with hoses cut!

You are looking at the weight with a single brake and their awful rotor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have some additional details XTR M9000 weights:

Single Lever - no hose: 61.6g
Front caliper + hose: 112.3g
Brake pads: 12.3g

Complete rear lever, hose, caliper, pads: 186.2g
Complete rear lever, hose, caliper, pads: 202.7g

·
Registered
551 Posts
Piccola postmount alu lever version with c21 caliper, uncut lines, oil filled, f+r incl alu backed brakepads, excl caliper fixing bolts, incl handlebar fixings: 349 grams. Excl pads but incl pad fixing: 328 grams.
Lost 6 grams with shortening the brake lines for a size large Pivot frame. Extralite titanium caliper fixing bolts weigh 9 grams for 4 pieces. Thus total weight, all included - but excl disc rotors - can be 352 grams.
Weights verified on scale (brake owned).

21 - 31 of 31 Posts