Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
41 - 60 of 267 Posts

·
Living Ghetto Fabulous!
3,749 Posts
After seeing these pictures and the suspension design, I'm really excited about this bike! I've ridden and sold a few ETSX's and I'm sad to see it go, but I'm 210 in the sun, and I could make that frame flex in a scary manner...

As far as the design; I'm a purist as well, but hydroforming is the wave of the future... Nobody liked full suspension bikes when they came out. Saying that, If I want a traditional looking MTB, I'll have my friend (Wolfhound cycles) whip me up a full rigid fillet-brazed bike. :D

I think this is my next trail / super D bike! Damn Rocky Mountain- quit gutting my wallet! :lol:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Looks like you guys found one of the proto's and yes it will be offered in a 29er the design was finished yesterday. With that said this does use ETS or projected pivot technology. The BB is higher than a element and lower than ETS. A bigger part of the story might be the new geometry. What do I mean by that no need for a talus fork on steep climbs. The front end sticks to the ground in an amazing way on steep climbs. You will start to see this bike in some key events in the next few weeks and we will soon share more info with you now off to garage for a quick ride on one amazing bike.

By the way I don't visit this site often so save the questions.

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,939 Posts
I'll probably order one... it brings back a classic model name and even though I'm sure the frames are welded in taiwan, I don't much care. Hell, offering it in the classic yellow/red of the 1991 Altitude Team model for the special edition would be nice.

·
Ride the dream
1,381 Posts
Lot gone on since I first saw this thread eh?

Looks interesting - on first appearances disappointingly different, and not at all similar... And then on closer inspection, and from analysis from others - it looks rather more interesting. That said, I dont think ill be trading my ETSX in for one.

Also, since noone mentioned it yet. Are they really going to a painted on headtube, instead of the classic and beautiful badge that adorns my etsx and most rockies? Or is this just for the proto (crosses fingers)?

·
Registered
849 Posts
Looks like a sound new frame design that will be a performer. Like the Team road bike this year, there's an impersonal feel to the aesthetic. Could be any brand, but wait - I don't want just any old Trek, I want a Rocky!

Sure, if it was welded here, I'd give it the nod over the Fluid etc. but should they weld it offshore (most likely), I'm left with little motivation to seek it out.

I'm stoked to ride my 2007 Element 70, a 4" trailbike built in BC and distinctly Rocky. I don't want a McBike any more than I want a car made by Kenmore.

Just my 2 cents...

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
Biker from Hell said:
two more clues low leverage ratio and less chain growth than ETS. Geometry will be the new story. This is a epic cross country race bike just like ETS.
The guesstimate results in Linkage2 show chain growth and pedal kickback could be about 1/2 what the current ETSX has. That's impressive as that's what got me to sell a Santa Cruz Blur in favour of my 2004 ETSX, I hated the pedal kickback on the Blur.

It looks like it will have that same general trend to the curve shape of the leverage ratio as the ETSX which makes it feel so responsive and pedal so well.

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
It's not enough that 1/4 of the Test of Metal's 900+ field were riding Rocky Mountain bikes (and it seemed that about half of them were wearing Different Bikes jerseys or Men in Black jerseys), you're sending out the big guns to show the bike off. :thumbsup:

I also heard that the Delta BC office's R&D capabilities are getting a big boost for prototyping and development of new bikes. That's good to hear, it sounds like the next few years could produce a lot of shiny new bikes.

Any chance that there might be Altitude demo bikes at Mont Sainte Anne for Velirium/World Cup?

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,939 Posts
Classic for rockies is actually the decals, not badges... badges in my opinion are a lot of wasted grams for something a sticker has always done better.

·
Living Ghetto Fabulous!
3,749 Posts
DeeEight said:
I'll probably order one... it brings back a classic model name and even though I'm sure the frames are welded in taiwan, I don't much care. Hell, offering it in the classic yellow/red of the 1991 Altitude Team model for the special edition would be nice.
Anyone have a pic of the 91 Altitude?

41 - 60 of 267 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.