Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a little help in my search for a new bike. My knowledge of bikes is slim to none so here are my questions.

1. I have found a Kona Cinder Cone (2004) used for about $800 (CAN) Is this bike worth it?

2. Will a 19" be big enough for me? I am 5'10" and 210 lbs?

3. A few friends are all hardcore bikers but are also pretty biased so any other opinions on what to look for would be great.

·
Registered
10,027 Posts
Scottacious said:
I need a little help in my search for a new bike. My knowledge of bikes is slim to none so here are my questions.

1. I have found a Kona Cinder Cone (2004) used for about $800 (CAN) Is this bike worth it?

2. Will a 19" be big enough for me? I am 5'10" and 210 lbs?

3. A few friends are all hardcore bikers but are also pretty biased so any other opinions on what to look for would be great.
We need a little more details out of you.

1. What sort of riding do you intend to do? Downhill? XC? Urban?

2. What sort of budget are we looking at ($800 is that just for the bike, have you considered helmet, gloves, etc.)

3. When you say your friends are pretty biased, what are they saying? Do you intend to ride with them? If so what type of terrain do they ride on?

With that sort of information assisting you will be much easier!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1. XC Urban
2. Around $1000 (CAN) for the bike. I have the rest.
3. They have $2000-$4000 bikes. They are heading to different spots all the time in the Rockies. I weekend warrior with them now and then.

·
Registered
10,027 Posts
Kona cinder cone is not a bad entry level bike. Brand new 04 MSRP was $999CDN, so there is no way I would be paying $800 for a used one. Unless it has some sort of upgrades. MSRP on the 05 cinder is $1099CDN.

Other hardtails that are in your price range would be Giant Ranier or Iguana, maybe the trek 6500. Also check out the specialized lineup.

For $1K CDN there is actually a pretty good selection of rides out there, without having to resort to used. Used typically brings reliability issues, which makes riding less fun. Get something new from you LBS and then you also get their support when/if things do start to go wrong. Plus they can help you get setup/fit onto the bike properly.

Feel free to ask any other questions as well.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Scottacious said:
1. XC Urban
2. Around $1000 (CAN) for the bike. I have the rest.
3. They have $2000-$4000 bikes. They are heading to different spots all the time in the Rockies. I weekend warrior with them now and then.
Try something a little beefier, something like the Santa Cruz Chameleon. Or even a Kona Stuff or Norco Bigfoot.
That way if you do go riding with your mates you will at least have a bike capable of keeping up. And if you really get into it, you won't get sick of your bike too quickly or break it in a hurry.
But it all depends on how you ride i suppose. The Cindercone isn't a bad bike, probably more XC oriented than anything though.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Not much

Scottalicous,

For the money you're spending you can get a great bike new, so approach anything used with caution. I'm 6'0" 215lbs and I ride a 19" bike. Once you get around the 200lb range, it's important to find a fork that can be adjusted to handle your weight. I'd also look to get Deore all around, or at least for the rear deraileur, possibly disc brakes, but definately something you feel comfortable on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.