Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
DFL
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought a new 29er for myself, so I'm going to buy a smaller frame and build up my old 26er for my son. Right now I have a Deore XT 3X8 drive train circa 1996. I want to convert it to 1x9 for him, but I don't know where to start. Obviously I will need a new derailleur, cassette, and chain. Will I need a new free hub body? The wheels were built around 1995 so I'm not sure if it is an 8/9 free hub of just for 8 speed? What parts would I need for the front? Single chainring, and chain guild? Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPad while drinking the kool aid.

·
DFL
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can I get an inexpensive crankset for a square taper BB that has four bolt rings? I can't seem to find a narrow wide ring small enought with 5 bolts. I'm trying to do this on the cheap, like under $400 for everything including the frame.

·
DFL
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Next dumb question. If I'm converting a 3x crank to a 1x do I need a bash guard to replace the big ring?

Sent from my iPad while drinking the kool aid.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I've been running 1x9 just using the factory middle ring and a BBG bashwich for several years, the chain may have come off once on me, but not any more than that. The new narrow/wide chainrings seem to be a better way to go, especially on an XC bike, but if you still need a bash guard anyways I don't see a huge advantage.

·
DFL
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had a little extra time today so I was thinking, my bike is coming with X.7 2x10, why not upgrade my stuff to X.9 1X10 and give the X.7 stuff to my son and set him up with 1x10 too. For what I found on various web pages, I can buy new parts for me, RD, X.9 rear shifter, PG-1071 cassette, PC1071 chain, a new crank set for him, and two NW chain rings for around $300. Am I going to get a noticeable difference for the money spent?

Sent from a telecommunication device with a touch screen keyboard.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I don't think you'll notice a huge difference on your bike but I think your son will and if these are the two primary bikes that will be ridden it will be nice to only have to service 10 speed chains and carry 10 speed quick links with you on rides.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.