Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
I think we should go back
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

What would I need to do to the fork and how much of it should I do for a person 90 lbs? I have the Iron horse warrior 4.0 and assume the fork is adjusted for someone who weighs about 100-200 lbs. I like more of a soft fork setup just until it bottoms out when hitting a bump going fast which I am sure would not happen. I like the plush feel and not too bouncy... the fork is a MARZOCCHI MZ COMP FORK, 120MM TRAVEL and like I said I prefer a very smooth soft ride. I am wondering what I adjust and what I have to do to make it how I want it.

Also same thing goes for the rear shock. of course you already know I like a really soft feel until it bottoms out but is there anything else I can do other than adjust the spring? When I land about 4-5 foot drops I use my knees a lot so it probably would not bottom out then. In case you do not know what shock it is: FOX VANILLA R COIL, 7.5"X2"

Hope you can help...

·
bonked
2,129 Posts
I don't know what is available for that fork, but softer springs are definitely in order. The fork stock probably came with a medium range spring intended for an average weight rider. So somebody from 140 to 180 lbs maybe. So a softer spring will bring that lower range down to what, like 120 or 100 lbs rider maybe?

I think the same generally would apply for the shock.

You are not an adult, right? Wait a few years, or if you are really young a few months, and you'll weigh a bit more ;)

Or carry some stones in your pocket. for now.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
hopefully you're just mismeasuring your jumps, neither that bike or fork is recommended for anything even close to a 5 foot jump! you'll hurt yourself pretty bad doing things like that with that bike.

im not sure if they offer anything for the mz forks. a quick google search returns nothing. rockshox air forks seem to be a good choice for very light riders.

·
SoCal Rider
266 Posts
I'm running into the same problem, although i'm a bit heavier, at 125 lbs. Been trying to search like crazy for a soft spring for a Marzocchi MX Pro Lo....but no luck. I hear that oil leaks in the Tora's are pretty common, so maybe you might want to go for the Marzocchi, or put in a lil extra cash and get the RS Recon....

From what I read, the MX Pro has a low-end of 140lb, so hopefully it'll be better than my current RS Dart that's set at a min of 160lbs.

Let me know what you end up going with

·
otb club member
3,080 Posts
90 LBS is pretty light as far as coil spring options go. Somebody mentioned RS air forks. To be more specific, Dual Air forks are the best solution for very light riders. Some air forks use a negative coil spring and when a light rider puts the right amount of air for their weight in the air chamber, the "one size fits all" negative coil spring keeps the fork sucked down and they don't get full travel. With Dual Air, a light rider can set the positive pressure for their weight and also custom tune the negative air chamber so that initial "break away" force is low and small bump compliance good. The fork can start out in the fully extended position (unlike with the negative coil spring) and the low weight rider can actually use most of the fork's travel. I don't know of any better solution for a light weight rider. The bad part is that a good dual air RS fork will not be a "budget" fork. As for the rear, you will probably have a hard time getting a coil over shock that has a spring range suitable (although I could be wrong). I suspect you'll need an air shock.

·
I think we should go back
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The back shock really is workin out after I adjusted the preload spring collor to just barely compressing the spring. Later I will go with the double air fork like you said.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.