Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi im in a middle of a build and im looking for some good affordable brakes. i have used avid juicy 7 and shimano xt in the past, but want to use something else and something were i can use just 1 finger to brake, i never had brakes powerful like that... i was also looking at hayes stroker trails with some big rotors any experience?

·
Ride Good or Eat Wood
606 Posts
I'm using the Avid Elixir CR's with 8" rotors..... love'em. One finger stopping, adjustable... purrfect!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I run Avid Juicy 5s on my freeride rig, 185mm rotors and one finger stopping is easy! You have to put them far enough in so that your finger is pressing the tip of the lever

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
AlexJK said:
i wouldn't say less maintainance... easier maintainance maybe
Agreed. Unlike hydros, BB7s still require to use to twist the knobs to adjust for pad wear every couple of rides. And cable and housing changes.

'course, that same manual adjustment deal means they can be dialed in to whatever "feel" the user prefers: on/off switches to perfectly modulated to something beyond.

·
Clydesdale 29er
189 Posts
I have an Elixer R 185 on the front and still have the Stock BB7 on the rear. I did upgrade
to a G3 rotor on the back so they look the same. Someday when money is available I will
add the Elixer to the back, but for now I can still lock up the rear wheel if not careful.

·
Making fat cool since '71
1,840 Posts
Juicy 7's, Juicy Ultimates and Stroker Ace currently. I am exclusively a one finger braker with all of them. I prefer the Juicy's for power, but the Strokers are close. I've had BB7's. Didn't fall in love like a lot of folks. My "dream" brakes are Formula's The One...put them on a buddy's bike...love them.

Brock...

·
You wanna go ridin?
297 Posts
1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.