Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I start an update thread. Yesterday, I did several things to my 1993 Stumpjumper hardtail. First I changed my freehub body from the original 7spd to the wider 8/9/10spd freehub body so I could use a 9spd cassette I have. I also used the axle and right side cones/dust cap/spacers/locknut from the donor hub because the dust cap is a different size. Cleaned and repacked the hub while I was there. I was surprised to only have to add a 1mm spacer to the left side because the freehub is 5mm wider. Then I did a quick wheel re-dish on the bike (though I have a truing stand/dish tool) between the brake pads. Then I put on an XT CS-M770 11-34 9 spd cassette. Lower gears than 26x30, even on a 26" tire, are much needed after riding 1x11 32x46 low gear on my newer (now stolen) bike.

I got the 740mm Salsa Bend bar in the mail yesterday, so I put that on too. The 17deg backsweep is exactly what I've been thinking I've needed for years, as that's the angle my hands want to sit relaxed. The width is a nice improvement on the 700s I've been running the past year (and 720s on the newer bike). I slapped on a 9spd XTR right shifter, but it's sitting at an awkward angle because I'm still using the integrated brake/shift lever with the 7spd shifter removed and the shifter mount blocks the way. I'm going to have to order a right brake lever (short pull/canti). (I have a parts bin lever from the local bike co-op but it's crappier than the one already on the bike, and a rule I have is that it has to be as nice or nicer.)

Then I slapped on a 9spd Connex chain. Both chain and cassette were take off from my newer (now stolen) bike when I had put the 1x11 M8000 parts on. I had to block off the large chainring using the high limit screw because the chain wasn't long enough. Besides not being long enough, the Connex chain shifts like 💩, including on the front chainrings, even with the chain length correct for improvised double, and b-screw adjustment/cable tension done properly. Hanger is straight. Chain seems too flexible. I just ordered a KMC.

Next: new chain, new right brake lever, re-check for friction in rear derailleur cable/housing, which are newish, but suspect at the moment, fork lowers service on the co-op parts bin Judy XC SL I put on a couple years ago when I couldn't rebuild the original forks, rebuild the XT parallel push front V-brake, new brake pad inserts for that brake too.
Future: thinner grips than the ESI Extra Chunky on the bars, 24T chainring to swap for the 26T on the original crank, or get a new 170mm (which I prefer over the original 175s on the bike) crank to run 2x9 (36x22 would be ideal). Or maybe stick with a triple if I can find a decent used 22/32/42 crankset and bottom bracket. Eyeing Manitou Markhor fork, which is 456mm axle to crown for 80mm travel (compared to 63mm travel on the Judy XC at 460mm a-c), much better performance, and can put the ABS+ damper in that. Would also need front disc brakes and wheel. Current front rim is deeply worn in the brake tracks anyway, rim could crack from that at any time.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
My classic Fat, I looked at it and admired the real Syncros and Salsa (not the overseas stuff) bits, Suntour XC Pro bits, Hugi and Mavic 230 bits, and the frame of course. Then hopped on my current Fat cross and went for a ride. I guess it could be retro since it has an Igleheart fork, just like the classic.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts