Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
I don't climb, I walk
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sooooo.......... I just bought a mint condition 7Point, upgraded with Code 5 Brakes. And I can't say I really need it, but I wanted something long travel for some more aggressive All Mountain/FR play. I've been riding a Mkiii this year and have loved it, just wanted something more durable and more suspended.

How does the 7Point work for aggressive trail riding and rock gardens? Anyone interested in an 08 Comp with less than 50 miles on it, like new, not sure I'll need to have both if I can trail ride the 7Point. I'm not in any shape to climb so that doesn't really matter yet. Time to hit the gym. Joe

·
Registered
516 Posts
I bought a 7point about 6 months after riding my MkIII. I use the 7 point w/ lighter tires for my every day trail machine. The bike is just plain more fun to ride on most the trials I ride. I only use the MkIII for one tight and curvey trail where a lighter bike w/ more acceleration is needed. Plus the 7 point is fun to hit up the dirt jumps with, very neutral in the air.

I have been considering getting a lighter fork up front (totem solo air) and a set of hope 2 hubs w/ mavic 719 rims for trail riding. You could easily get this bike down into the mid 30's for weight and have a stout frame you never really have to worry about.

·
I don't climb, I walk
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The more feedback I get the more comfortable I am with my purchase. So much so that the Mkiii will be up for sale shortly. I was initially turned off by the extra weight. But talking to a lot of people who are riding around here(Northern NJ) where a lot of trails are erroded and rocky, they're fans of extra travel. I'm hoping this helps me out with some of the faster DH rock gardens on the trails. I'll need to work on overall fitness with climbing and endurance, but I had to do that anyway, I barely climb anything without dismounting and walking it. Joe

·
Registered
810 Posts
supposed if you don't do much climbing, than the bike weight doesn't matter.... for me half (and the harder half) of all my rides are about climbing, and I do that to get a workout so shuddling it doesn't make sense (I've done a few) and walking doesn't seem like fun, so that's what the MKiii realy comes in handly as it's good on the way down too. beefier rear triangle, yes, 10-15lbs extra pounds, nope.

mind you I have thought about getting a cheap used 7pt for if I ever shuttle more, or go to chairlifts, but I think I would rather spend the money on a more durable replacement that will be used 99% of the time anyway, like a Mojo. ANd I get more space in the garage for other toys :)

·
I don't climb, I walk
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well its here and its beautiful, but its just way too heavy for my riding. I love the travel and how plush it is, just can't be hiking it up with that weight. So its going up in the classifieds shortly.

Frame & Fork
Frame Construction TIG-welded
Frame Tubing Material 6069 aluminum
Fork Brand & Model Marzocchi 66 RCV, 180mm travel
Fork Material Single
Rear Shock Fox Van R, 7" travel

Components
Component Group Downhill Mix
Brakeset Avid Code 5 w/203mm rotor front/Avid Code 5 w/203mm rotor rear brakes, Red Twenty6 levers
Shift Levers SRAM X.5
Front Derailleur Shimano Saint
Rear Derailleur SRAM X.7 Mid Cage
Crankset FSA Gravity Moto X, 24/36 teeth
Pedals Crank Brothers 5050x
Bottom Bracket FSA Mega EXO
BB Shell Width 83mm
Rear Cogs 9-speed, 11 - 34 teeth
Chain Shimano HG53-9
Seatpost Funn Splined V3, 30.0mm diameter
Saddle WTB Pure V Race
Handlebar Funn 318
Handlebar Extensions Not included
Handlebar Stem FUNN Rippa OS
Headset 1 1/2" FSA Big Fat Pig

Wheels
Hubs Alloy DH Disc, Thru Axle
Rims Sun MTX-S, 32-hole
Tires 26 x 2.50" Maxxis Minion DH
Spoke Brand DT Champion stainless steel, 14ga. (2.0mm)
Spoke Nipples Unspecified

·
Trying to be helpful
2,550 Posts
JTK37 said:
Well its here and its beautiful, but its just way too heavy for my riding. I love the travel and how plush it is, just can't be hiking it up with that weight. So its going up in the classifieds shortly.

Frame & Fork
Frame Construction TIG-welded
Frame Tubing Material 6069 aluminum
Fork Brand & Model Marzocchi 66 RCV, 180mm travel
Fork Material Single
Rear Shock Fox Van R, 7" travel

Components
Component Group Downhill Mix
Brakeset Avid Code 5 w/203mm rotor front/Avid Code 5 w/203mm rotor rear brakes, Red Twenty6 levers
Shift Levers SRAM X.5
Front Derailleur Shimano Saint
Rear Derailleur SRAM X.7 Mid Cage
Crankset FSA Gravity Moto X, 24/36 teeth
Pedals Crank Brothers 5050x
Bottom Bracket FSA Mega EXO
BB Shell Width 83mm
Rear Cogs 9-speed, 11 - 34 teeth
Chain Shimano HG53-9
Seatpost Funn Splined V3, 30.0mm diameter
Saddle WTB Pure V Race
Handlebar Funn 318
Handlebar Extensions Not included
Handlebar Stem FUNN Rippa OS
Headset 1 1/2" FSA Big Fat Pig

Wheels
Hubs Alloy DH Disc, Thru Axle
Rims Sun MTX-S, 32-hole
Tires 26 x 2.50" Maxxis Minion DH
Spoke Brand DT Champion stainless steel, 14ga. (2.0mm)
Spoke Nipples Unspecified
What size is it?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.