Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wrong on every level. Just had to show this. Ha ha. I took some spare parts including wheels and assembled a 1x7 bike on a frame that is made for 26 mountain wheels and put a 700c tubular set on it. I used tall adjustable v brakes I bought years back for move the shoes higher. The crazy part…it's not a GT mountain frame but an old Trek Easton bonded frame from the mid 90's. I had it powder coated yellow years ago to get close to the GT forks. These are actual Zaskar decals from eBay 12 years ago. I didn't know how this would turn out but crazy as it is, it rides well.

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
24,864 Posts
What kind of brakes are those? For a minute I thought they were Paul's, but my memory was playing tricks.

Nice ride, I have an old Cannondale mtb that I bought built up similarly, and yeah, it's comfy & fast. (y)

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
What were you thinking with the stickers? The GT hardtails, as epitomized by the Zaskar, could almost be the most recognizable vintage hardtails around. This is like slapping a Lamborghini badge on anything but a Lamborghini. People will not assume ironic intent. They'll assume you got ripped off on Craigslist.

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
24,864 Posts
What were you thinking with the stickers? The GT hardtails, as epitomized by the Zaskar, could almost be the most recognizable vintage hardtails around. This is like slapping a Lamborghini badge on anything but a Lamborghini. People will not assume ironic intent. They'll assume you got ripped off on Craigslist.
Annnnd, who cares, really?

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Because it was funny. Don't care what people think. And The Trek frames back then were better anyway.

·
Hoolie Ghoulie on Strava.
Ripmo
3,557 Posts
If that bike fits well, all you did was save $3000. Even an awesome top of the line road bike gets tiresome riding curly bars if you are a mountain biker, just road riding for keeping fit. That bike you built looks super comfortable. I love the “ipad handlebar bracket”, put a tablet on there, and its like a Tesla. You can get in shape while you take a nap, self riding.

·
Registered
2022 Ibis Ripmo AF 2020 Intense Tazer MX Expert
317 Posts
I built something similar a few years ago. Picked up an all original 93 GT Timberline for $25 off Craigslist. I had a giftcard for Dicks Sporting goods and bought some Kenda Slick street tires in a 26" size. Changed the front chainring to a 1 by and proceded to ride the **** out of the bike. I rode trail and street with it! I owned a supermoto motorcycle at the time and thought the street slicks would be kinda fun on the trail and I was right! Gave it to my step son for college and it got stolen about a week later....

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Wrong on every level. Just had to show this. Ha ha. I took some spare parts including wheels and assembled a 1x7 bike on a frame that is made for 26 mountain wheels and put a 700c tubular set on it. I used tall adjustable v brakes I bought years back for move the shoes higher. The crazy part…it's not a GT mountain frame but an old Trek Easton bonded frame from the mid 90's. I had it powder coated yellow years ago to get close to the GT forks. These are actual Zaskar decals from eBay 12 years ago. I didn't know how this would turn out but crazy as it is, it rides well. View attachment 1940739 View attachment 1940740 View attachment 1940741 View attachment 1940742 View attachment 1940743

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
I've ridden an actual Zaskar I owned set up like that in the NYC 5 Boro tour a couple times back in the 90's. That ride is about 45 miles long and the bike did just fine. Since then I've gotten actual road bikes and passed the Zaskar on to my youngest son who had it stolen while he was going to college in Montreal.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
More like putting Nissan 240sx stickers on a Lexus SC.
Kinda weird, anyone who knows the bikes will know, one isnt all that much better than the other, but ok, its your ride.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
8,325 Posts
Because it was funny. Don't care what people think. And The Trek frames back then were better anyway.
oh yeah I agree, that series Trek frame rocks. I've done plenty of death march hammer rides on my 7000 and many other riders were big GT fans on Zaskars or other double/parallel GT's (it was a GT shop ride anyway)

the trek bike did not hold me back one bit. it rocked. it's only weakness was I'd run my chainrings until they sharkfinned (poor) and eventually after a few seasons chainsuck ate thru the chainstay. but I rode the paint off that thing before it died.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
More like putting Nissan 240sx stickers on a Lexus SC.
Kinda weird, anyone who knows the bikes will know, one isnt all that much better than the other, but ok, its your ride.
Sure, your simile is better. Was not trying to claim that the GT was a better bike. I don't have great opinion of Lambos other than their unmistakable silhouette, which is why I opted for that simile.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.