Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Card Carrying Member
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Worked on my bike, played with some cinder blocks and did an urban ride. I also saw SDizzle, and met 36Cycleplane at the farmer's market (on my urban rde).

Most importantly though, figured out pedal kicks enough to go forward, side to side, over, on and backwards. It was like I had some kind of break through.
'bout time too, no progress on those buggers for a long time was getting me bummed. Now if I could just figure out how to get them higher. ??? What happened to the trials section here on mtbr?

A trials specific rig is looking mighty tempting these days...

Time for Adult Swim! Yippee!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
An SDizzle sighting?

Nice trials work, and good driving too. Until two years ago, I had a 2nd gen Jetta 16v in the incredibly rare (gasp!) two door. It was one of my favorite cars, and I wonder why I ever sold it. The 4th gen is nice, but not proving even remotely as problem free as the old one...

I tried chasing after you, not for a race (gasp!), but to get you to ride with Naia (my passenger at the time) and me in the afternoon. The ride sucked, and I flatted in a rain storm, and we hiked out. Sniffle. Welcome home, eh? Anywhoo, we're going down to CO Springs this afternoon for the weekend, and will be riding there and up around Victor, if you'd care to make the journey. Or anyone else, for that matter. Adieu!

·
Card Carrying Member
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SDizzle said:
Nice trials work, and good driving too. Until two years ago, I had a 2nd gen Jetta 16v in the incredibly rare (gasp!) two door. It was one of my favorite cars, and I wonder why I ever sold it. The 4th gen is nice, but not proving even remotely as problem free as the old one...

I tried chasing after you, not for a race (gasp!), but to get you to ride with Naia (my passenger at the time) and me in the afternoon. The ride sucked, and I flatted in a rain storm, and we hiked out. Sniffle. Welcome home, eh? Anywhoo, we're going down to CO Springs this afternoon for the weekend, and will be riding there and up around Victor, if you'd care to make the journey. Or anyone else, for that matter. Adieu!
hehe, I thought you were playing in the car. I was on a mad search for a part to get my bike rolling and at that point it wasn't looking good. As you can see, I did manage to get it out of the fixed gear situation it was in. :)

That sucks about the ride, I watched the lighting from the 36 lookout above Boulder... Trying in vain to get a good lightning photo. 300 pics and only one capture, but it was wimpy. Lighting isn't the easiest thing to photog. hehe

Some ppl say the A2 16v coupe was never a VW option, but there are a handful out there who swear their 16v coupe is factory. Who knows, not me ??? There are a lot of Coupe swaps out there, as it can be done in a matter of hours. There are even a couple VR6 and 1.8T Coupe swaps out there. I'd like to put my 16v into a mint Rabbit and swap all of the other GLI/Wolfsburg over to it, make it look modern... etc. At any rate, the Coupe is the lightest of the A2 dubs and with a 16v it probably screamed! My brother had a 8v coupe and it was pretty swift without mods. Those ARE rare cars, but out here, there are quite a few. Don't know why, but maybe I'll end up with one for a toy some day.

Can't get down to the Springs today, but I wish I could. I'm either heading down there this WE or to Vail, have yet to decide. Right now, I'm having a blast riding new obstacles in my neighborhood, but my arms are sore as heII. :D

·
Card Carrying Member
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ibmkidIII said:
Impressive shiznit....even more impressive on the camera work. One of the kids or did u use a timer?
My buddy Ty Merr did the camera work. :p I've been using video as a training tool for a while. It's easy to see what you're doing wrong when you watch them side by side with a vid of someone who KNOWS what they're doing. hehe. I wasn't humping my stem enough before, video gave that away and I corrected... problem solved.

·
Perpetually single track
3,175 Posts
Yeah, really all about the stem humping. You need a trials bike for sure.

And on a different note, I got a new BB 3 months ago...put a new chain ring on today...f'ing thing's got play in it already...wtf! Damn I hate Shimano!

·
Card Carrying Member
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ibmkidIII said:
Yeah, really all about the stem humping. You need a trials bike for sure.

And on a different note, I got a new BB 3 months ago...put a new chain ring on today...f'ing thing's got play in it already...wtf! Damn I hate Shimano!
What cranks/bb? (lemme guess, LX/XT ES70-71) I've got a couple Shitmano bbs that will NEVER be used again, you're more than welcome to them. I also went through a couple of bbs with shimano, I'm currently trying to rid my bike of Shitmano. No offense to anyone who uses it, but I've had nothing but bad luck with it.

I'll look & see what I've got.

·
Non Dual Bliss
6,240 Posts
kitchenware said:
What cranks/bb? (lemme guess, LX/XT ES70-71) I've got a couple Shitmano bbs that will NEVER be used again, you're more than welcome to them. I also went through a couple of bbs with shimano, I'm currently trying to rid my bike of Shitmano. No offense to anyone who uses it, but I've had nothing but bad luck with it.

I'll look & see what I've got.
Good work on the kicks. I've never been able to do that but I don't have the wheelie gene either; skipped me and my son got it.

None of my personal MTB's use Shimano save the front derailleur and the cassettes. Shimano has those down cold and the SRAMs are lame. I cut bait with them as much as I could in '95 when my 2nd set of rapiddire shifters **** the bed within a month. I use SRAM for the shifters and the rear D. Everything else is a smorgasboard of parts and I've never missed Shimano and I've never felt like my setup doesn't work as good or better than the best Shimano offers.

All ISIS and Shimano Octolink BB's suck. Period. Game over. The large OD spindle just doesn't leave enough room in an English BB shell for bearings so BB life is drastically reduced. You're better off with a good square taper like a stainless spindle Phil BB. If you want the stiffness of a the big BB spindle, you've got to go to outboard bearings ala Sweet Wings, Magic, etc. and now SURPRISE! the new Shitmano stuff. I still ride a square taper BB & cranks and I haven't broken squat and I'm a borderline Clyde who rides hard.

Where the square taper BB spindles lose it is when people want to cut weight and go to reduced OD or Ti spindles. If you need the burliness to ride hard, then you're going to Profiles or something similar and the bearing life still sucks. In my not so humble opinion, all bikes designed to be ridden hard (DJ, FR, DH) should be using American (BMX) sized BB shells so we can have some BBs & cranksets that are up to the abuse we put them through. The English BB shell has far outlived its usefulness for todays burly MTB's and is an archaic leftover from roadbikes and the current fad of outboard bearings is treating the symptom and is not the cure!

Just say NO to english BB shells on bikes designed to be ridden hard!!!

·
Perpetually single track
3,175 Posts
Thks...not sure the model type w/o pulling it, but it's the splined, 68x113mm one. Thinking about making a run to performance today. They have the SRAM X-7's derailleir on sale for $49.

·
Card Carrying Member
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ibmkidIII said:
Thks...not sure the model type w/o pulling it, but it's the splined, 68x113mm one. Thinking about making a run to performance today. They have the SRAM X-7's derailleir on sale for $49.
What cranks are they? That'll tell since Shitmano is so farking specific. If they're LX or XT, I've got you covered with a 68/113 as that's what all of my 'Cruz bikes have used.

Also, I bet Larry has those X7s, I got my X9 there and it's WAY more burly than an XT. I bent my hanger nearly horizontal twice and the Der. is still perfect, aside from scratches. Can't say the same for my hanger though.

·
Perpetually single track
3,175 Posts
Really? Exact opposite for me. I've destroyed two derailleurs so far, and my hanger has just shrugged off the impact. F'ing thing is burly...for $40 bucks, what do I expect.

So shimano has different types of splined??? F'ing idiots. Anyways, they're the XT hollotech 2003 cranks. I'm actually gonna be in Boulder in about 30 min if I could pick them up from you that'd be awesome. I'll PM you my cell number.

·
Perpetually single track
3,175 Posts
Yeah, I just decided...I'm doing it. X-7 instead of X-9 though....course I can upgrade later once I've started using their shifters. Sadly I'll be using one quasi-monoply (Performance) to rid myself of another (Shimano).
Now where the hell's my walmart? What!?!? One mile away??? Not close enough!! I demand one on ever block.

·
contains quinine
4,639 Posts
fortunately you've got a starbucks on every other corner, for your caffiene needs.

btw, I'd go x9 for the upgrades over 7. sealed pulley bearings, if i remember correctly, was one of them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts