Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
the unvarnished nonsense
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Granted, I realize that the vast majority of you own your bikes and wouldn't need to rent a rig, but...

Hypothetical situation. Let's pretend that I just became the manager of a new board/ski/bike shop at a major east coast destination, one that has a "Whistler-type" park. The official shops of the resort are locked into a deal that allows their shops to rent only one manufacturer's frames. My new "pretend" shop isn't locked into any sort of deal like this and we would be looking into stocking our rental stable with the DH/freeride bikes that people really want, hypothetically. So, hypothetically, if I were to take a pretend trip to the big bike expo this year, which manufacturers should I be seeking out, hypothetically, in your opinion? I'm more of an XC guy, so I'm really not that knowledgeable about this incredible facet of cycling that is DH/freeride. TIA for any opinions.

·
notabouttoseeyourlight
2,664 Posts
seriously... hook up some highlines and DHRs and you'll be stoked. Durable, low maintenance, magically fit everyone who rides them...

·
notabouttoseeyourlight
2,664 Posts
I'd go with Santa Cruz but for a rental bike that's seeing tons of use you're going to be going through VPP bearings like crazy and that will add to the headache of running the shop. Especially since it's an east coast place and is probably muddy for a good amount of time every year.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
first off it would have to be a major player

think Kona, Giant or Specialized

the Intenses, turners are out

might get Santa cruz

·
the unvarnished nonsense
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thanks all...

Thanks for all of the responses, you've given me a good head start. I'm starting to contact manufacturers now. If you want to know who we end up with, be sure to stop in the new shop located in the ultra-plush new Soaring Eagle Lodge at the TOP of Snowshoe. We'll be right next to the new high speed quad lift, easily visible from the main parking area. I'm thinking that with an elevation of 4,799 feet above sea level (measured at the slab of our recently poured floor) we'll be the highest demo shop in the east! 2007 will be our first bike season, but we'll be doing the board/ski thing this season.

BTW, anybody coming to Monster Park (Aug 18-20)? Maybe I'll see you there!

·
the unvarnished nonsense
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Actually, its beyond the hypothetical. OK, so I lied...

I wouldn't amke any actual decisions based upon this one post, but was looking for more opinions and just to get a quick litmus test of what people are looking for. Granted, I had a list in mind, and this has done little to change that list. Some on my list weren't mentioned at all, some several times. Its just one aspect of the decision making process, not nearly as important as reliabilty, servicability, and manufacturer's support, but the more info one has, the better off they are, right?

Again thanks, and maybe we'll see you on the mountain!

·
Banned
1,372 Posts
I was up at Killington the other weekend, and they were renting some sort of lower line Kona 6" travel bikes, with Marzocchi Drop Off IV's........god damn those forks seriously suck compared to my 66sl, they were like pogo sticks.....though the difference is probably lost on the average renter, renting bikes with better suspension would be really nice.

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
turbodog said:
I was up at Killington the other weekend, and they were renting some sort of lower line Kona 6" travel bikes, with Marzocchi Drop Off IV's........god damn those forks seriously suck compared to my 66sl, they were like pogo sticks.....though the difference is probably lost on the average renter, renting bikes with better suspension would be really nice.
I noticed that, the middle-range Kona and Norco FR bikes have SSV forks, which wouldn't be the best for a resort rental for anybody that rides much.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Good to see someone giving the MAC competition! Snowshoe will be better for it. My vote would be Santa Cruz, because we sorely need a new SC dealer in WV!

BTW- Kona is the brand that Davis alluded to that is already contractually locked into with Snowshoe.

·
Banned
1,372 Posts
Yeah.....it was Kona Coiler rentals at Killington, and they had changed the tires over to some kenda DH tires as I recall. The bikes seemed pretty decent overall, but the fork was total crap. I didn't rent one, my buddy did.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.