Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
More specificly, will amount X of trail on a 20" wheel handle the same as amount X on a 26"wheel? How do you determine the ratio for a given wheel size.
I am interested in a cycletruck type of bike and would like to know how to arrive at a number to draft into the bike with out getting super mathmotechnoconfusical although I'm not opposed to it. I've used the searchbar some but I'm looking for one good article or explanation. Can anyone help with this?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yogii, thanks.
I can calculate trail, I am searching for an explanation on how to target a number to achieve an outcome.
lets say I build a bike that is to have a front rack that is frame mounted, with 26" wheels front and rear, and I also build a bike that is to have a front rack that is frame mounted with a 26"wheel in the back and a 20" wheel in the front, will using the same trail (mechanical or ground) make the bike handle the same for both wheel sizes?
Is "neutral" the place where handling discussions start? Is it where the steering line and the axle center converge on the ground? is there a calculation using wheel size and trail to arrive at a target 'zone'
I know most of us here can build a bike that they can ride and race with sucess by copying many years of collective bike industry experience for rake and trail on a 700c bike,
we can also draw a picture showing rake and trail (mecanical and ground) but how do we know (other than trial and error) how this target was arrived at?
I specificly searched posts by PVD as I know he is wealth of knowedge, I found only info for finding trail or arguments about which type of trail is important. Maybe he craft an explanation for these questions, I'm sure that I am just missing something simple.
There is also a chance that I am asking the question wrong but i'm positive that someone here will know what I am trying to say.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
To the best of my knowledge, trail is the only calculatable figure for handling. It does not take into account front center, wheelbase, seat tube angle, cs lenghth, or a whole host of factors that go into "how a bike handles". Only somebody who has ridden a whole lot of different kind of bikes can tell what it might be like. Handling is an art not a science!
Sorry that I could not be more help....

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That makes a lot of sense right there Yogii, I'm sure someone will have a gem of a guideline though, or at least a good explanation on what not to do, it will just depend on wether or not they want to talk about it, ;-)
thanks again!

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
IMHO , the rider determines neutral . One bike , two riders , chances are they are going to find it to handle differently . Just sayin .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.