Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2011 Specialized Epic Elite and it has a Sram x7 front derailleur. It is junk i was at Saw Wee Kee Park mountain biking last weekend and it would not shift from first to second gear for it life. it was so slow and hesitant it would not shift it took way more effort than it should I just gave up. On my Epic i am going to buy a Shimano XTR front derailleur to match my rear. I have a question which one do I buy my Derailleur is mounted with a hex type bolt to the frame itself. there is no clamp that goes around the tube. which one do i buy? Thanks Guys!

·
Trail Tire TV on blogger
4,237 Posts
front derailleurs have little to do with shifting other than just pushing the chain over. shift speed is more the spacing (tooth count, not side to side spacing), lift spots and pins on the rings. That being said the derailleurs height on the frame, and the line up of the cage can make a difference. Cables and housing issue can drag it also.. I'm guessing you have other issues than the derailleur it's self.. worn out/dirt/in need of lube shifter is also a possibility.

The only advantage of upper end front derailleurs is weight savings, but if you are dead set on a new derailleur you need a direct mount. One other thing, you're better off getting a SRAM front derailleur that is set up for which ever pull you have (if the cable comes from the top.. it's a top pull..) avoid the dual pulls, and here's why.. the sram's shift the mechanic's out and over the chain/cranks more and the Shimano's in general shift it more behind the seat tube. the Shimanos' get not only more crud in them from the tire spit, but also lower your tire clearance ..

you got the year right? don' think they made an epic in 2001...?:confused:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.