Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry guys, I'm not moving over to the dark side yet but I would like to convert my townie to an 8 speed (actually a 6 or even a 4 would be ideal except for the difficulty finding and up/downgrading parts). I'd like to keep only a 42 or 44 tooth ring on front and was wondering what the best way to go would be.

Other than simply removing the grannie and middle ring what are my options for a suitable crank (preferably in the sub-$100 range) that only has a spider for 1 ring?

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Actually, the "Dark Side" is riding a multi-speed full-squishy. Makes the riding too easy and the maintenance too hard.
You have Seen The Light when you go singlespeed! :D

Don't sweat the crank. Just remove the rings you don't use. You will need BMX/track chainring bolts if you do not use a guard ring. Very few actual "singlespeed" cranks, excluding BMX.

Easy to go 2, 3, 4 or 5-speed on the rear, too. Break down a cassette. Pick the cogs you want. use the loose spacers between cogs and to fill the FH body. Adjust the limit screws on the derailleur and you are good to go!

·
dirty hippy mountainbiker
1,146 Posts
right spacers

I'd add that you need to use the right spacers for the type of shifter. 7, 8, and 9 have different spacing. I think. Also "breaking down" a cassette can necessatate a hack saw.

Nice complexity bashing, Shiggy.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Take equal parts Spedu-o-phed.....

Oooop's wrong forum, I thought we were talking about crank..., not cranks.....

But while were are on the subject, I like the Eno cranks myself.

-JS-

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
wolfy said:
I'd add that you need to use the right spacers for the type of shifter. 7, 8, and 9 have different spacing. I think. Also "breaking down" a cassette can necessatate a hack saw.

Nice complexity bashing, Shiggy.
Just use a lower-end (Deore or lower) cassette. No cog carrier. May have to drill out a couple of pins - no hacksawing. The spacers you need are in the cassette. Just need a few extra for space filling.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.