Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hanging out in Santa Cruz for two and a half days visiting my daughter, picking strawberries, and riding trails! THAT'S WHAT! :thumbsup: :D

This is my daughter's first year and even though she sorta 'cringed' when I told her how I was planning on visiting her at school as much as possible... seeing as how it's so close to Humboldt County :p ... I figured I was getting an extra bonus with all the mtb'ing around here.

I appreciate what you all have here and what folks have done to keep these great trail systems going!

I got into town last night around 7pm after a 7 hour drive down through Memorial Day traffic, and checked into the Mission Inn (it's becoming my regular stay due to it's unique location...right across the street from Ferrell's 24-hour Ice Cream and Donut shop{sometimes I think I should just check in there and stay}, Companion Bakers, and of course... ABS (Another Bike Shop).
I dumped my gear into the room, suited up and grabbed my bike, then made a beeline for Mission St behind ABS (a nice road/path to Wilder Ranch), which I hauled up quickly last night to watch the sunset from the hills at Wilder Ranch :cool:
... a cool note... I caught this guy hauling ass back out on the path from Wilder on one of the huge unicycles I've only seen on youtube until now.

I piddled around too long this morning and shot down my plans to get out early to ride Soquel.
But... I wound up spending a few hours with my girl, checking out an Origami Exhibit at the Eloise Perkins Smith Art Gallery on campus, hanging out at ABS, drinking coffee and eating good stuff at Companion, picking strawberries at Swanton's (in addition to having some awesome strawberry lemonade and a truffle)... an awesome morning/afternoon.

Then... after dropping back in at ABS (I'm sure they'll get tired of me at some point :p), I hurried to my room, changed and got to the trailhead at Demo around 5ish.

Being concerned about losing light and being on unfamiliar trails... I decided to go straight over the bridge, ride out Hihn's to Sulpher, up to Corral, up Corral to Ridge, down Braille and back out Hihn's.

I met two guys from San Jose up just off Ridge and they seemed surprised I was riding up Corral. I just figured it would be faster than riding from the trailhead out Highland to the Eureka Canyon entrance folks have told me about, than all the way back up to Ridge.

Next time out here... I'm definitely getting my butt out of this hotel early enough to spend a few hours out there exploring.

Other than the skunk toddling out in front of me on Ridge... the ride was fantastic!
I luckily stopped and backed up as fast as I could while the skunk raised its tail and danced around a bit, finally heading off trail enough to where I felt safe zipping by and continuing on my way :thumbsup:

Being my first time out there... I had to do Braille :D
It was a really good ride even if I didn't hit all the jumps.
I have to say... I do miss my 26er for a trail like that! My 29 Stumpy did alright, but I always feel a bit "too tall" on that thing when the pitch gets steep.

And as per numerous posts about riding Demo... I stopped at Summit Store and Deli and got myself a Tri-tip sandwich, Green Tea, and Good Golly!... a slice of Ollalieberry Pie! :D:D:D

I have to say.. I've been eating quite well on this trip... so glad I've been able to bike enough to justify it... in my mind at least!

Tomorrow I'll do my last pass through town, then head north to Annadel!
I plan on checking out that place for an hour or two, then I've got my last 4 hour drive back home to the waiting arms of my sweetie :eek: I do miss that woman! It'll be my last good night :devil: before going back to the daily work grind Thursday.

Thanks again Santa Cruz for a really cool trip! :thumbsup:

·
Weird huh?
2,286 Posts
Damn! Awesome! Talk about doing it all in a compressed time. That's cool to read. I've a friend in from New York next week and we are planning a very similar SC do it all bash as well.

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
Good stuff. I moved down here from Arcata 12 years ago. I miss Humboldt sometimes but this place has a lot going for it. Drop a line next time your in town and maybe I can show you around a bit.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank all!
I finished that trip off with a visit to Annadel, Wednesday evening... a very short visit :D

I hit the trail at Annadel around 5pm, rode for 40ish minutes and had a blast!

I still made it home by 9:45pm so I could spend some time with my girlfriend.

This trip was so incredibly cool... yeah... lots packed into it but everything worked out WAY better than my usual trips!

I can see many more trips down that way with the bike... but hopefully next time at Demo... I'll have something more than my FSR 29er :thumbsup:

Carl... I met a guy at ABS who has history with Arcata and Revolution Bicycle.
Is there some mystical connection between Arcata and Santa Cruz? LOL
Sorta like when I moved to Humboldt from Fairbanks, Alaska... kept meeting all sorts of folks with connections of some sort to Alaska... even people who knew people that I knew!

I'll give a shout out to you next time I come down and see if you have time to meet.
Always glad to meet new folks :D

Now... if I could get my daughter interested in serious MTB'ing with me... that would be sweet!

'Course... it sounds as if it's a might difficult hanging on to a bike in Santa Cruz! What a shame :nonod:

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
Carl... I met a guy at ABS who has history with Arcata and Revolution Bicycle.
Is there some mystical connection between Arcata and Santa Cruz? LOL
Sorta like when I moved to Humboldt from Fairbanks, Alaska... kept meeting all sorts of folks with connections of some sort to Alaska... even people who knew people that I knew!
Yeah, I believe that was the owner of Revolution when I was there back in the late 90's. I didn't know he was still at ABS. Quite a few former-Humboldtians around town. Santa Cruz is like a bigger Arcata with more $$. People say "Santa Cruz is so weird." and I say, have you been to Arcata? I miss those sleepy summer days in Arcata sometimes.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Def a connection between Monterey Bay and Humboldt. When I first moved up here, the people I rode with included folks from Santa Cruz, Soquel, Carmel Valley, and Prunedale (me..). We did not know each other back home.

And Demo, when done correctly, is ridden from Aptos. With some detours on the way back. That is guaranteed to burn off a meal or two.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I believe that was the owner of Revolution when I was there back in the late 90's. I didn't know he was still at ABS. Quite a few former-Humboldtians around town. Santa Cruz is like a bigger Arcata with more $$. People say "Santa Cruz is so weird." and I say, have you been to Arcata? I miss those sleepy summer days in Arcata sometimes.
Yeah... that's him. I didn't see him this time around, but the last two times I was down that way he was there.

I grew up in West Texas and thought THOSE people were normal and all Californians were WEIRD! :D
Learned a lot over the years, and with all the places I've been... ;)

Def a connection between Monterey Bay and Humboldt. When I first moved up here, the people I rode with included folks from Santa Cruz, Soquel, Carmel Valley, and Prunedale (me..). We did not know each other back home.

And Demo, when done correctly, is ridden from Aptos. With some detours on the way back. That is guaranteed to burn off a meal or two.
From Aptos huh? I'll have to look into that, thanks :thumbsup:
You are talking multi-stage... right? :p lol

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh & if u do the aptos to demo thing you should definitely sag hella beer.
That would be easy for me... I never get past one beer before it just doesn't taste good anymore.. same for wine.
Stronger alcohol... just don't like the stuff... never did.
Guess my tastebuds are weird that way :p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts