Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 205 Posts

·
Just win baby!
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In light of a recent post, and one a few months back, I pose this question: What constitutes a "poser" in your eyes?

This word gets used a lot, unfairly most of the time, in my opinion.

It seems that for a lot of you, a poser is someone who has a more expensive bike than you do, or has more expensive riding gear than you do, or doesn't have the level of skill that you posess, or all three.

I am sure that I fall into the catagory of "poser" in the eyes of some of you, so I will explain myself a little and see what you think and why.

I started mtn. biking in 1999. I bought a GF Big Sur and rode it for two years. I loved it but it hurt my back to ride it for any length of time. In 2001 I bought a GF Sugar 1. I started out to buy a Sugar 3, but my lbs said that he would sell me a Sugar 1 that he had ordered for a guy that never came back to pick it up for $300.00 over the cost of the Sugar 3. I thought that was a killer deal, so I purchased the Sugar 1. Obviously way more bike than a guy of my skill level needed, but what the hell, eh? I rode that bike for two years before I decided that I wanted a little bit more travel and a bit more up-right position. I decided that whatever I bought, it had to be a quality bike that I would be happy and comfortable on for a long time.

I started reading all the reviews on here and I decided on the Hammerhead 100X. It sounded like the perfect bike for the type of riding that I do and the comfort and position I was after. I purchased the bike in 2003. I couldn't be happier with my choice. I love this bike, which means that I RIDE IT. I don't pamper it. I don't freak out if it gets scratched or dirty or something breaks. I crash, bleed and get hurt just like any other mtn. biker.

My skill level is not high... moderate at best. There are many riders out there that are far above me in skill level that ride less expensive bikes than I do. So what? That point alone seems to be enough for some of you to point a finger and call me a poser. Why?

I am not a young guy at 45, so I have been at my chosen profession for 27 years now. I paid my dues and I make decent money. I can afford nicer, higher quality stuff at this point in my life. So, why shouldn't I indulge myself with a nice bike, riding gear etc...? Why does this piss some of you off so much that you call guys like me "poser"?

I have my own idea of what a poser is. I would like to hear your definition of what a poser is and why.

Please, no flaming or name calling. If you are going to be an immature child, don't bother responding.

·
Registered
50 Posts
In my opinion someone that rides a lot and does it because they simply enjoy the ride will never be a "poser."

A poser rides to try and be cool. A real rider rides because there are only a few things, other then being in bed with Halle Barry, that they would rather be doing.

·
(enter witty phrase here)
2,250 Posts
pos·er1 ([font=verdana, sans-serif] P ) Pronunciation Key (p
r)
n. [/font]

n 1: a person who habitually pretends to be something he is not

A 30yro yuppie ridding a $1500 FS bike around town = poser
An old fart riding a $1500 FS bike, because it's comfortable, on the trail every week = not a poser.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
A poser would wonder whether or not other people thought they were a poser. J/K ;)

I think that MikeyVT has it correct. Anyone who is riding their bike simply because they enjoy doing it is not a poser IMHO. Someone who spends more time deciding which outfit would look best for their ride than their actual ride is a poser.

I have also paid my dues and make good money and am able to afford more expensive bikes than some other people do who have more skills than I do. It's just what helps me keep up with some of them! :D

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
A poser, defined...

X-rider said:
In light of a recent post, and one a few months back, I pose this question: What constitutes a "poser" in your eyes?

This word gets used a lot, unfairly most of the time, in my opinion.

It seems that for a lot of you, a poser is someone who has a more expensive bike than you do, or has more expensive riding gear than you do, or doesn't have the level of skill that you posess, or all three.

I am sure that I fall into the catagory of "poser" in the eyes of some of you, so I will explain myself a little and see what you think and why.

I started mtn. biking in 1999. I bought a GF Big Sur and rode it for two years. I loved it but it hurt my back to ride it for any length of time. In 2001 I bought a GF Sugar 1. I started out to buy a Sugar 3, but my lbs said that he would sell me a Sugar 1 that he had ordered for a guy that never came back to pick it up for $300.00 over the cost of the Sugar 3. I thought that was a killer deal, so I purchased the Sugar 1. Obviously way more bike than a guy of my skill level needed, but what the hell, eh? I rode that bike for two years before I decided that I wanted a little bit more travel and a bit more up-right position. I decided that whatever I bought, it had to be a quality bike that I would be happy and comfortable on for a long time.

I started reading all the reviews on here and I decided on the Hammerhead 100X. It sounded like the perfect bike for the type of riding that I do and the comfort and position I was after. I purchased the bike in 2003. I couldn't be happier with my choice. I love this bike, which means that I RIDE IT. I don't pamper it. I don't freak out if it gets scratched or dirty or something breaks. I crash, bleed and get hurt just like any other mtn. biker.

My skill level is not high... moderate at best. There are many riders out there that are far above me in skill level that ride less expensive bikes than I do. So what? That point alone seems to be enough for some of you to point a finger and call me a poser. Why?

I am not a young guy at 45, so I have been at my chosen profession for 27 years now. I paid my dues and I make decent money. I can afford nicer, higher quality stuff at this point in my life. So, why shouldn't I indulge myself with a nice bike, riding gear etc...? Why does this piss some of you off so much that you call guys like me "poser"?

I have my own idea of what a poser is. I would like to hear your definition of what a poser is and why.

Please, no flaming or name calling. If you are going to be an immature child, don't bother responding.
Well I'm immature, but I'm responding anyway.

A poser is someone who doesn't ride their bike because they enjoy riding their bike.

Ken

·
Nothing here
757 Posts
Did you guys ever read the road bike reviews at road bike review? Some of those guys are totally obsessed about if the frame will match their helmet and clothes color scheme. They actually downgrade the bike for color scheme. Unreal. I read one where the dude goes on and on about how his pedals will match his gloves or some crap like that. That kind of stuff is toatlly poseur-ish in my book. I have a road bike, but I don't care if my helmet or my "outfit" matches my bike. Geez.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Agreed on all points

First off, X, you're not a poser. You're out there riding, and you happen to enjoy nice equipment, like most of us do. These folks hit the nail on the head when they described people who think it's more about the bike and accessories than the ride. Nothing wrong with wearing matching clothes and keeping the bike in pristine condition, but hanging out at the trailhead just to look good ain't what this sport is about. I have more respect for someone who comes off the trail looking like they and their bike just went through a meat grinder than someone more concerned about the last nick or scratch they got on their bike and one-upsmanship on their bike and component selection.

Just my thoughts.

Clyde

·
wawe member
892 Posts
1. They have a kick stand on said $1500 bike.

2. When I say, "Nice Sugar, I have one too.", they look confused and reply, "Sugar? I think it's a G-a-r-y F-i-s-h-e-r" (reading the downtube)

·
Dr. Pepper drinker
1,640 Posts
Damn good question and judging by your thoughts you're probably about the furthest thing from it. Posers in the mountain bike realm are the folks that are riding because they want to be seen as someone who does something extreme, want all the coolest toys and really don't get all the best things about riding. They may or may not have the best bike out there but if they do you'll have to knock them out to keep from hearing them tell you about it every 5 minutes. Think of it this way, if you had your sweet ride taken away and were given an ancient rigid bike that you might not like as much, you would still be out there riding. Joe Poser would likely find another activity to pursue because they couldn escape the feeling of being inferior on a less 'cool' bike.

·
I'm how far behind?
571 Posts
tlg said:
A 30yro yuppie ridding a $1500 FS bike around town = poser
QUOTE]

How about a 31 year old over weight guy riding his $4500 Ti FS with a seatpost rack and pack on it, down a bike path?

Because that is me several times a week.

I guess I'm a poser!

But as usual (especially when the word poser is involved), my response only tells have the story. I'm riding to the trail head, with the pack which I'm training with for the Kokepelli Trail Race. As far as being fat, yup that's me and if 145 mile mountain bike races don't make me skinny, nothing ever will!

Come to think of it I'm definately a fat lycra wearing poser and have the avitar to prove it!

·
Registered
804 Posts
he who casts the first stone...

Unknownrash said:
Did you guys ever read the road bike reviews at road bike review? Some of those guys are totally obsessed about if the frame will match their helmet and clothes color scheme.
Some people try to match their furniture with the curtains. Some people make sure their napkins match the placemats. Some people match their socks with their underwear.

If somebody wants to match their cycling gear - what is the difference?

Personally, I am a function over fashion type of guy, but I am not going to call somebody a poser because they have more style than I.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Black Bart said:
When I say, "Nice Sugar, I have one too.", they look confused and reply, "Sugar? I think it's a G-a-r-y F-i-s-h-e-r" (reading the downtube)
Then again maybe they are riding purely for the love of riding and don't really care what kind of bike it is.

Being a bike nerd is not mutually exclusive with posing.

·
Waiting to exhale.
1,030 Posts
Sometimes I feel like a poser. Often times I ride with people who have "Cheaper" bikes than mine, but they have more skills and have been riding longer. I have only been riding less than 2 years. I was lucky enough to have 2 jobs at once a couple of years ago and I saved up enough money to buy my turner. I doubt that I would be able to spend 4 grand on a bike nowadays. Sometimes I wear leg armor and people see me and expect me to ride all hard core because I have leg armor. I don't ride all that crazy, so I feel like a poser.

·
Just win baby!
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
frank n. beans said:
If you feel the need to apply derogatory labels to others in order to boost your own self esteem, what does that say about yourself? Think about it.
I like your style frank. ;)

·
It's all ball bearings
223 Posts
posers

Im a former BMX racer- back in the day, I thought there were alot of posers in that sport, but find the same situation in mountain biking- Ive been riding MTB since the early 80's and have seen tons of posers. They generally overuse bike lingo which they pick up from mountain bike magazines- They throw around all these buzz words trying to seem like theyre hardcore, but come off a kinda lame. Terms like "north shore style" and "big hit" fly around these guys like mad- They quote mountain bike magazines, especially MTBR, not realizing that much of that mags content is hype and drivel. They talk about famous trails as if theyve ridden them.

Bottom line; they try to hard to make an impression. I honestly crack up when I run into a full blown poser really trying to impress other riders with their knowledge- Poser watching is fun! :D

·
Just win baby!
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
SMOKEY said:
Sometimes I feel like a poser. Often times I ride with people who have "Cheaper" bikes than mine, but they have more skills and have been riding longer. I have only been riding less than 2 years. I was lucky enough to have 2 jobs at once a couple of years ago and I saved up enough money to buy my turner. I doubt that I would be able to spend 4 grand on a bike nowadays. Sometimes I wear leg armor and people see me and expect me to ride all hard core because I have leg armor. I don't ride all that crazy, so I feel like a poser.
Do you actually feel like a poser, or do you think you are made to feel like a poser by the people who have less expensive gear?

I ask this because I have the same feeling as you sometimes. I think it's me more than other people. I seem to let this guilt creep over me because I have what the other guys don't, but then common sense kicks in and I go back to the way I usually think... who gives a f***k what any body else thinks? ;)

·
Who are the brain police?
10,112 Posts
..Are people really hitting the trails against their will?

"Dammit, I don't want to ride.. but I look so cool!" -Does this really happen?

1 - 20 of 205 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.