Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it the outer plates plus the inner plates?:madman:

So if I'm sizing a chain with the big big + 2 link method I would add two outer plates and two inner plates?

I hope this question makes sense.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Ha. Thanks Spec. I don't have all the answers, but I know a little and I'm happy to share. All of us posters have different knowledge, experiences, and perspective, so all together, I think we give good advice. Believe it or not, I learn a lot on this forum too. :)

·
wyrd bið ful ãræd
1,725 Posts
crawland said:
... So if I'm sizing a chain with the big big + 2 link method I would add two outer plates and two inner plates? ...
It is better to add 1 extra link than to add 3, if you know what I mean, as you will never get into the big and big combo ...

another tip: get a powerlink, sram makes a pretty good one and will fit shimano chains. makes removel/cleaning so much easier ...

edit: i must have confused quite a few people there with the 1 instead of 3 when it is 2 that you need ... pls refer post below ... confused??? ... :smilewinkgrin:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
chinaman said:
It is better to add 1 extra link than to add 3, if you know what I mean, as you will never get into the big and big combo ...
When I first saw your post I thought your name was Chainman...:D

Back on point, I don't know what you mean.:madman: I thought the method for sizing your chain was to put the chain on the two big gears and find where they meet (I know not to ride that way:thumbsup: ) and then add two links to it to get your correct size. You lost me with the 1 link and 3 link stuff.

·
MTBR Member
3,008 Posts
spec4life said:
mook they should give you an award or something...you keep this begginer forum held down nicely...All of us other members post and wait for your final opinion and hope we line up..(and im not tryin to be sarcastic you really do give good advice)
I second that opinion...keep up the good work mook. You are really helpful.

·
wyrd bið ful ãræd
1,725 Posts
Chainman has a nice ring to it as well ... ;)

It is not always that you can add 2 links ... because 1 link is an outer plate and inner plate ... meaning when you measure up on the big and big combo, what if the chain length that wraps up the big and big combo tightly measures up at 2 outer plates, so you should only add 1 inner plate, an outer plate and another inner plate, effectively 1 and 1/2 link. Your other alternative will be to add 2 and 1/2 links, which I personally would not recommended as the chain will be too long ...

·
Registered
290 Posts
Speaking of learning new things....Chinaman, can you elaborate on your 2.5 link theory?
If you're recommending 1.5 links longer than the distance around the largest cogs, are you suggesting the use of a halflink on a geared drivetrain?

I have to imagine that a half-link difference in length could be handled by a derailleur. Without using an actual halflink, you just round up or down, using whole links depending on your preference, and the derailleur literally picks up the slack. Halflinks are really only useful in single-speed applications, when chain length is more critical.

This is a "halflink":

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.