Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

My 5 yr old is ripping on his Spawn Yoji 16" hard tail, it's been an awesome bike for him and last year I upgraded his cockpit with a larger / higher rise handle bar but he's sadly outgrown it (lucky for his 3 yr old brother who's stoked).

I wanted to ask the community to see if any other parents have had this dilemma though.. his riding style is still decidedly freestyle with his preference being the skate park or dirt jump / pump track over any trail riding yet so I want to get him a longer wheelbase 16" or a 18" BMX bike to allow him to still toss it around. I feel the jump to a geared, front suspension 20" MTB would be way too much for him, he still weighs less than 50lbs.

Does anyone out there have suggestions for a good transitional bike for him from the Yoji 16"? I love how light that bike is, his riding really jumped when we got it for him and I fear putting him on a big bike will slow the progress. Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
If he wants to MTB, a nice 20” hard tail like a Prevelo Zulu or Cub Scout Race or Orbea Lafiery (hard to find) etc is the way to go. It’ll be fine for his weight. Highly recommend something with a Manitou JUnit fork if you are dropping 1k$ or more, no contest and they are light. We’ve had the Yoji as well as everything else (2 boys). The Yoji still should be more than a proper fit for a Dirt Jumper for him. My 49” youngest kid still likes it better than the 16” BMX for fitment, tho it’s getting small. He rides that and a 20” MTB hard tail. 18” BMX is for kids that are like 4-10-ish so that would be huge for a 5yro.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'll be curious to hear what others have to say.

I just upgraded my soon-to-be 6yo son from a 16" Spawn Banshee to a 20" Commencal Meta HT - he absolutely loves it. It is definitely on the big side for him but I expect that to not be an issue by next spring. He was REALLY ready for gears, and Im surprised how fast he integrated shifting into his riding routine after only 2 days on the Commencal.

With that said, I've been wondering if keeping the 16" Spawn as a DJ/Park bike would make any sense? I have zero personal experience with riding anything other than MTB trails so I'm not exactly sure which defining characteristics make for a good skatepark bike.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll be curious to hear what others have to say.
For that purpose, Cult Juvenile 16. A few places even have them in stock right now!
RMC, just a few days too late but I may well take that advice as an interim option. I just bit the bullet and picked up a 20" Spawn Kotori for him which is a sweet bike but still likely a bit burly for his little frame... Regardless, a nice bike for him to grow into I suppose. Will be giving it to him for Christmas so he's got some time yet to keep eating his broccoli!

Bicycle Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Wheel Tire Crankset

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes... that's certainly where his riding is trending, even in the skate park he's really focused on the transitions and jumps. He and I are building a few plywood jumps this weekend for him to play on too (we had a few last summer but moved house and they didn't come with).

·
Registered
782 Posts
In the skatepark my son prefers his Cult. For me it's pretty easy to justify since it cost a fraction of what his trail bike and DJ cost. It also stays super clean and when he outgrows it I should be able to flip it for $200+ easily (will probably roll that right into a 18").

·
Registered
782 Posts
I'm seeing it shown as in stock at a few different places. DansComp and Performance Bike also have a $25 off coupon going (OCT2521) for orders over $250.

edit: Oh, wait, you're in Canada. That might be the problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.