Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm torn between the matte clear and matte grey frame. If I go matte clear I'll get the red linkages and if I go with the matte grey then I'll go with blue linkages. Let's hear your thoughts and see some pictures if you guys have them of your bikes in either color.

Happy New Year.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Why the SL? It only saves you 130 grams, clear vs. clear, but the standard looks 100x better in the glossy clear or even the orange looks pretty tight. Either way go with red links!

Here's a pic of mine in clear and a pic I found of an orange one.

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All those bikes look great. That's what makes this decision so hard. I guess either way it'll look nice. I'm partial to the matte clear cause I figure if I've got the carbon why hide it. But the grey is so different that anything out there, and looks cool too. Thanks for the photos so far. Keep them coming.

·
No dabs.
320 Posts
FYI - the Mojo SL comes in a slightly modified brown from 08. Richer and darker than the previous version you show above. Mine in the new brown below.

My opinion on color is that you should have a plan going in as far as color accents, component selection and color, etc. For example, I think iClique is right on the gloss clear for his case, as he went with the DT shock and fork that have sort of a gloss carbon look. (Or is that fork more of a matte carbon on the lowers now?)

Personally, I prefer the look of the matte finish - silky and luscious. And while carbon is cool, it can get overdone. And keep in mind that probably 90% of Mojo owners have clear carbon. The stealth black look is popular. Not that there's anything wrong with that - but the unique factor will be lessened. But it is lighter without the paint, dammit! The grey with blue links is cool, but fork colors could make or break the look. One thing that shifted my color scheme was that the Fox forks started coming in white only (when you don't get them as part of the bike).

I rode with a guy on an orange Mojo today. They call it the Creamsicle. Tough to develop a color palette with that strong of base color though.

Bottom line: I'm down with brown.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Personally I thnk all the colored links and clamps look bad. Looks like the underhood of a honda civic that a guy who works at Kragen would have. I'd opt for a solid color and black bits and pieces personally. Just my opinion tho...

·
Registered
452 Posts
wheelhot said:
mikuteit your bike is AWESOME!!!, the best brown colored Mojo I have seen so far :)

Well I like the matte finish SL cause there is no other bike brand in the industry that has such paint ;)
Actually, the old Kestrel Talon SL's have a very similar finish - they don't use rubberized paint, but it's the same sexy matte clear look :)

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
wheelhot said:
mikuteit your bike is AWESOME!!!, the best brown colored Mojo I have seen so far :)

Well I like the matte finish SL cause there is no other bike brand in the industry that has such paint ;)
I agree, that is the best brown build I have seen so far. The only thing I would personally change is to take those 355 rims and change them to stans flows. Absolutly beatiful. :thumbsup: Love the way the brown looks with the white fork.

Erik

·
No dabs.
320 Posts
bedell99 said:
I agree, that is the best brown build I have seen so far. The only thing I would personally change is to take those 355 rims and change them to stans flows. Absolutly beatiful. :thumbsup: Love the way the brown looks with the white fork.

Erik
Thanks, guys. I've been really pleased with the rims, though I'm sure the Flows would keep things even more stable. But I do I have one big change coming - a 20mm Magura Thor sitting in my garage, waiting for the holiday hoopla to subside so it can be installed. I'll post some shots once done. Should look even better with the "red sock" design and dual arches - and getting rid of the blue graphics on the Fox fork.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Guiness into the mix

I just wanted to add my guiness mojo into the mix here, I went more with a subtle restrained approach which suites me fine. It isnt all bling like some of the rides posted here. Although iCliques ride is amazing. I agree with Yody, I think that one can get carried away with too many colors and over co-ordination.

Chuck don't over think it, focus on getting the right size bike, a good deal on a frame if you can and right mix of components if your gonna build it up like I did. If I could do it again, I'd get the guiness again, it looks amazing in real life most pics dont do it justice, or I'd go for the matte grey SL which is vary unique among frame colors. Good luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
I agree, that is the best brown build I have seen so far. The only thing I would personally change is to take those 355 rims and change them to stans flows. Absolutly beatiful. Love the way the brown looks with the white fork.
Yup but I wonder how it will look with white hoops?

I just wanted to add my guiness mojo into the mix here, I went more with a subtle restrained approach which suites me fine. It isnt all bling like some of the rides posted here. Although iCliques ride is amazing. I agree with Yody, I think that one can get carried away with too many colors and over co-ordination.
Yup, like how I always think about designing, there is 2 main things you want to set it straight, professional simplicity or professional fanciness. Decide which you want and then follow your design based on what you want, dont make it too fancy till it look yucky and no more professional. Dont pick odd colors or colors that dont go well together. Also you can ask for our opinion if you want :D

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Since you are partial to matte clear I say good choice. I love the understated carbon w red links (There are alot of the cheaper glossy carbon clearcoats out there, not too many mattes or non-gloss.)
If you are a semi-weight weenie like me,
you probably save roughly 60 or 70 grams (.15lb) frame weight or even more verses my painted gray in medium,
but, I really love my gray and hate my diet.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.