Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to by a 2006 Enduro elite and wondered if a Fox vanilla or other coil shock would fit. I just don't know if the stock air shock, DHX4.0 will be able to handle drops with a 205 lb person without blowing seals.

·
Registered
83 Posts
freerider167 said:
pretty much any coil without a resivor like a 3 way or vanilla r. maybe an AVY, but a canecreek is suppose to fit
Ehhh...the debate continues to rage on this one. Currently there are only 2 confirmed coil shocks put on the 05/06 Enduros. One is the 5th element from progressive with a remote piggyback. The cranecreek double barrel is the other, but I'm not sure it has actually been released to the public plus it is major $$$.

The problem isn't just finding a shock with the right stroke and e2e, it's in the mounting holes and whether or not you would need new bushings. Avalanche's shock would work, but they don't have the right bushings/spacers to run it on an enduro.

·
Registered
978 Posts
The hole for the pivot that attaches to the frame is ca. 16mm, the other one is ca. 15mm. If I get the Fox vanilla from my Tazer, the measurements are 15mm for both holes (sans the bushings, those are not needed on the Enduro frame). I din't have a very precise measuring tool, just an ordinary ruler.

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
An RC should fit.

dougj said:
I am going to by a 2006 Enduro elite and wondered if a Fox vanilla or other coil shock would fit. I just don't know if the stock air shock, DHX4.0 will be able to handle drops with a 205 lb person without blowing seals.
A Fox RC piggyback shock should fit easily if I'm seeing this correctly. Here's a pic of a DHX coil, a 5th coi, and an RC. All 3 of these shocks are equally moved to the left of the pic, or the piggyback end of the shock. The RC's piggyback is dwarfed by the DHX both in diameter and length. Having sized this DHX to an Enduro we have at the shop, I'd say the RC will fit easily...and you don't have to worry about accessing a schrader valve. The big problem is where will you get that oddball size RC shock to fit the Enduro?...or any other brand of shock? The 8.75 X 2.50 DHX is a non-standard size. I'm not saying you can't find one, it just makes things a little harder. I wish Specialized would get off this kick of proprietary crap. Anyway, a PUSHED Fox RC might be pretty nice. Personally I've found two of my older Enduro models did quite well without a stable platform shock.

Here's another option, though it is an air shock. I'll just show the pic, and you can see the Manitou 4-Way Air has a much more compact piggyback. I've had great results with the 4-Way on one of my Bullits.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.