Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Stiff yet compliant
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New Reign X1 here. It came with a 500lb coil and with the preload cranked all the way down it still sags a little bit more than I want. Would a 550lb be enough or should I jump to a 600?

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
Moustache rider said:
New Reign X1 here. It came with a 500lb coil and with the preload cranked all the way down it still sags a little bit more than I want. Would a 550lb be enough or should I jump to a 600?
How many turns of preload? If it's like 8 turns, then probably worth going up 100lb.
Do you already have max boost pressure? (can't remember if it's 150 or 200psi?) I hear that can affect sag a bit.

Also, when you say it sags more than you want, what is it? I hear these bikes need ~35% sag in the rear to work best, and that's working on mine, so don't assume you need to run 25% sag.

·
Registered
13 Posts
if you haven't already, search "spring rate calculator" here on mtbr.com, you'll know for sure which spring you need depending on your body wt. w/ gear and all. where do you live man? Im in so.cal and if it happens to be the 600lb you need I have a brand new 1 i'm willing to trade with your 500lb. my x1 came with 450lb spring so i then bought a 550 and a 600lb spring, I put the 550lb on 1st and it worked fine but i've lost some wt recently. If ur interested let me know.

·
Stiff yet compliant
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses guys. Looks like a 600 spring may work best for me. I'm still playing around with the adjustments and getting my set up dialed in. I tend to prefer less sag on my FS bikes than most people. Possibly because I ride a hardtail half the time and am accustomed to a more firm rear end.
avid28- alas I live in Colorado.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
fsrxc said:
How many turns of preload? If it's like 8 turns, then probably worth going up 100lb.
If you are using 8 turns, back that off right away. Most shocks and springs are designed around 2 turns max. Knowing that most engineers aren't going to design with zero safety factor or tolerance allowance, I bet 4 turns wouldn't cause damage. That said, if your spring goes solid, your shock will go boom!!!

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
Moustache rider said:
Thanks for the responses guys. Looks like a 600 spring may work best for me. I'm still playing around with the adjustments and getting my set up dialed in. I tend to prefer less sag on my FS bikes than most people. Possibly because I ride a hardtail half the time and am accustomed to a more firm rear end.
avid28- alas I live in Colorado.
The thing is, Maestro suspension is designed to work with a decent amount of sag (I don't know the exact number, but I've heard 30-40%) so if you "like" a firmer feel, and run less sag, the bike won't work the way it's designed and you would be better off getting a bike with less travel, like a Trance or something.

Another option, you could run proper sag, but add some boost pressure to firm up the compression damping a bit, which might feel better to you.

·
Build More = Ride More
1,442 Posts
fsrxc said:
The thing is, Maestro suspension is designed to work with a decent amount of sag (I don't know the exact number, but I've heard 30-40%) so if you "like" a firmer feel, and run less sag, the bike won't work the way it's designed and you would be better off getting a bike with less travel, like a Trance or something.

Another option, you could run proper sag, but add some boost pressure to firm up the compression damping a bit, which might feel better to you.
Nope. That is only true with DW linkage. People just assumed they were the same.

Maestro requires 25-30% sag range on the RX models and 30-35% range for the glory.

The funny thing about Maestro is that it remains smooth on small bumps when you decrease the sag amount. I can set mine to 25% sag and it still feels smooth. This is due to the initial reward axle path.

I notice the bump comliance actually goes down when you go over 30% sag on the Reign X.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.