Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a clyde at 225 lbs. I just bought a Bianchi SASS rigid single speed from a member here. Not sure what the gearing up front is but the rear cog is 20T. I'd like to try an 18T but I don't know what I need. I'm running the stock Bianchi rear hub with horizontal drop outs. Will this hub fit normal cogs? The reason I ask is because I'm unfamiliar with Single Speed rear hubs and the Bianchi rear hub was way different than my multi speed hubs on other bikes. Yeah, so I'm a noobie. Help?

Oh and what would be a good rear wheel / hub to upgrade to. I'd like to lighten the rear end but durability is a must with my weight and size.

Thanks,
Brain

·
Registered
54 Posts
Well, I did a quick search and it seems that the SASS came with a shimano bmx cassette hub. Those hubs usually come with a shimano bmx cog on stock bikes. Pretty much any cog that fits on shimano cassette hub bodies (which is nearly all of them) should work. At least thats my understanding of it.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Be careful! There are two different sizes of BMX freewheels. One size is standard and the other is a smaller diameter thread for "flip-flop" hubs. The smaller size is used for smaller tooth count. (less than 15 teeth I believe)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hold on a second, is this a cassette hub or a thread on hub? From the specs I saw online it appeared that this was one of the single speed cassette hubs that accepts shimano splined cogs. Some of you are posting assuming its a thread on freewheel hub. I'm confused.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.