Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Way shredded my stock shimano on the new HiFi last week. I'm trying the Sram 971. I hadn't tried the powerlink before. Thank goodness I ran into a rider who shared one with me. Not only did I break my chain once but 3 times. Once you move a shimano rivet it's basically dead.

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
I think all Shimano instructions say you should always use new pins.

I have had two Shimano chains break on me and both times it was a badly made joint. Still running Shimano chains and they are working fine. Recently started using them with SRAM Power Links.

(HG-53 is sort of OK chain, CN-7701 is the best I've tried. I am not all that big by clyde standards.)

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Second that...

perttime said:
I think all Shimano instructions say you should always use new pins.

I have had two Shimano chains break on me and both times it was a badly made joint. Still running Shimano chains and they are working fine. Recently started using them with SRAM Power Links.

(HG-53 is sort of OK chain, CN-7701 is the best I've tried. I am not all that big by clyde standards.)
XTR chain with SRAM Powerlink is the shiznit. Never broke this setup, and XTR chains take me for frickin' evar to wear out. I wear SRAM chains past the wear limit in 3-400 miles, but I get at least double that out of XTR chains.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I surmised that there must be special technology involved when it snapped the third time. As it came on a new bike I kinda wish the LBS had said something about having spare pins or a powerlink. I know this isn't the LBS rant thread but...:skep:

·
Registered
75 Posts
I use SRAM chains and have broken one but I think it was just a fluke, it broke while I was riding on a gravel road not pushing hard at all. All the other SRAMs I've run have held up fine, even a time or two when I was cross-chained (not recommended, but it happens) in the big-big cresting a hill. I really like the removable link feature, too.

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
My lbs is amazed at how often I break chains.:eek:
Big racing clyde and I run the big ring for everything.
I have broken 971s, HG53s, XTR, and KMCs. The 971s seem to last a little longer than the others. They are a good compromise price as well. Not as expensive as shimanos, not as cheap as KMCs.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Shimano CN-7701 XTR/Dura-Ace is the only chain I haven't broken. I always carry a couple spare pins in my pack, because you cannot re-use them. Also make sure your chain is long enough to handle the big ring/big cog combo and any chain growth caused by rear suspension.

·
Registered
820 Posts
SRAM PC 870...it's an 8 speed chain, but it's also very popular with single speeders, which is how I use it. Single speeders stand a LOT...and breaking a chain could be catastrophic for us.

·
The plough
662 Posts
SRAM 991 got totally destroyed by me. The fourth time it broke, it actually broke in two places, at the same time. Yes, I ended up with TWO chain fragments.

I am now using the Shimano LX (HG-73, made by KMC) as my featherweight friend breaks his Shimano XT almost every time we ride. Its rather hilly here. The KMC is going strong. My next chain will be a KMC X9 in TiN gold finish :D

Also, if you do buy Shimano, forget about that pin that comes in the package. Its worse than useless. Use KMC or SRAM missing/magic links instead.

V.

·
Dirt Deviant
3,694 Posts
Is your bike an 8 or 9 speed?

For a 9 speed setup I choose no other than the Sram PC991 ( non hollow pin )
For 8 speed I guess it would be a PC870

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
vmajor said:
SRAM 991 got totally destroyed by me. The fourth time it broke, it actually broke in two places, at the same time. Yes, I ended up with TWO chain fragments.

I am now using the Shimano LX (HG-73, made by KMC) as my featherweight friend breaks his Shimano XT almost every time we ride. Its rather hilly here. The KMC is going strong. My next chain will be a KMC X9 in TiN gold finish :D

Also, if you do buy Shimano, forget about that pin that comes in the package. Its worse than useless. Use KMC or SRAM missing/magic links instead.

V.
i totally agree with everythng but the last paragraph. quick links always seem to explode or separate on me. After about the 5th link, they have become an emergency-only tool. YMMV.

The only advantage of sram chains is that since they don't press the ends of the pins you can push them back into place with a chain tool when they pop open. Can't do that with a shimano, but you shouldn't need to.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.