Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I just bought this bike because I figured I had a good deal on it (~450 USD)

It's a Devinci Chilipepper 2003 http://www.devinci.com/english/allterrainbikes2003.html

I have ridden XC for a year (last year) with a Devinci Desperado. But I wanted to start ridding more aggressively, with some (small) drops to start with, getting a little into freeriding and DH.

What kind of drops can this bike take and well do you think it's a good bike and please confirm it was a deal!

·
Registered
10,027 Posts
Devinci said:
Hi,

It's a Devinci Chilipepper 2003 http://www.devinci.com/english/allterrainbikes2003.html

I have ridden XC for a year (last year) with a Devinci Desperado. But I wanted to start ridding more aggressively, with some (small) drops to start with, getting a little into freeriding and DH.

What kind of drops can this bike take and well do you think it's a good bike and please confirm it was a deal!
It is interesting that the frame is designed around a 100-150mm fork (according to their site) Geometry claims a 67* HA, but is that with a150mm fork, if so the 100mm fork it has in the link you provided will make a HA of @70*, pretty steep for freeride/DH.

Not a bad deal for the price you paid though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
006_007 said:
It is interesting that the frame is designed around a 100-150mm fork (according to their site) Geometry claims a 67* HA, but is that with a150mm fork, if so the 100mm fork it has in the link you provided will make a HA of @70*, pretty steep for freeride/DH.

Not a bad deal for the price you paid though.
I figured it be good, because, that's pretty much what I do, a lot of XC, but I wanted to add some challenges to my riding, ie drops. And the local trails I ride include lots of technical riding where my body would need days to recover after a big ride on my HT. But I'm still too scared to drop anything higher than 2' LOL. We also strated to build some skinny bridges and I just cant do it!!! Arrgh.. It's all in my head!!

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Devinci said:
We also strated to build some skinny bridges and I just cant do it!!! Arrgh.. It's all in my head!!
Look forward, not at your wheel;stand up, keep an even pedal cadence (if you are pedaling) and drag your rear brake just a bit to give you something to pedal against...

practice on stuff close to the ground, do not use pedals that you clip into (i.e. use flats) - wear pads, you will probably crash some and logs and ladders are unforgiving

·
Registered
421 Posts
Devinci said:
Hi,

Looks like a nice bike, especially at 450. How much do you weigh? Lighter riders could get away with a lot more than heavy ones. I think the frame and fork could take some pretty big hits but I don't know about the cranks or rims. Unless your a real heavy rider that bike should take 3+ drops all day long.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
jkish said:
Looks like a nice bike, especially at 450. How much do you weigh? Lighter riders could get away with a lot more than heavy ones. I think the frame and fork could take some pretty big hits but I don't know about the cranks or rims. Unless your a real heavy rider that bike should take 3+ drops all day long.
I weight 160 lbs.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I would say no more than 4ft and this at the most. Great bike for aggresive XC but eventually if you get more into FR you will probably want a heavyer duty bike.

Keep Riding

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I suppose this will be good enough for the summer since I still have a long way to go before I get the courage to hit drops bigger than 3-4'.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.