Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got the Park Tool chain cleaner and I love it but don't want to be on the hook for a proprietary cleaner. Can I use Dawn dishsoap or something else simple to degrease the chain, and then use a proper lube for the last step? I know I might be overthinking it, but don't want my chain to rust or otherwise degrade by not using the right thing.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is a 'dry lube'? I figure I can use Dawn diluted with water, dry off the chain and use a quality lube after? I forget the brand but I use a lube where I put a drop on each link of the chain.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I use a jar of gasoline, clean the chain, hang outside to dry, then relube each link with boeshield. Waiting for my wife to decide that we need a new Crock-Pot then I will take our old one and try waxing the chains - I hear that is good.
Gasoline definitely dissolves grease but I would not be recommend anyone use it for cleaning anything as its far to volatile a substance of have in an open jar. One spark and you have yourself an explosion. You generally don't get a second chance with it.

·
Registered
10,234 Posts
Gasoline definitely dissolves grease but I would not be recommend anyone use it for cleaning anything as its far to volatile a substance of have in an open jar. One spark and you have yourself an explosion. You generally don't get a second chance with it.
Forgot we are on the Internetz.

Yes, keep the lid on your jar/container.

Always wear gloves.

And eye protection.

And a condom. Ya can never be too safe.

·
Formerly of Kent
14,154 Posts
I use dilute simple green (2parts water 1 part SG)in an ultrasonic cleaner. Then straight water . you can eat off the chain when it's done.
J
Don't use SImpleGreen on chains unless it's the aviation version. The regular version is known to make them more brittle and prone to breaking.

I go with 2oz of mineral spirits in a water bottle. Shake vigorously. Then use isopropyl alcohol in the same manner. Won't corrode, and won't leave ANY residue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.