Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
The Other Dude
3,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since i started mountain biking I have always been intrigued by the Pugsly. And after some thought, and thinking that the bike would be a blast to have here in the winter, and just a fun all around bike for anytime of the year, i am thinking about building/buying one of these awesome bikes.

I have built up a few bikes now, and I have always ran into those "unexpected" costs. Though I would be willing to buy one used, i work part time at a bike shop and can a decent deal on the parts from QBP. This will be my first experience with a Surly frame though. What can I expect money wise to have into one of these bikes? Any parts that are "must haves"? I know the large marge rims and the surly tires, but are there other options/opinions? If i do a build myself, i am thinking a 1x9 is what i want. What might be a good price on a used one if I come across one?

Thanks in advance guys.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
I asked Chain Reaction Cycles (an Alaskan bike shop that has contracted out a USA made aluminum frame) what it would cost to build up one of their frame, assuming I only had to buy the "special" fat tire bits. Here was their answer:

Frame -499.00 (907)

Fork-116.00 (Surly)

BB-60.00 (FSA)

Wheels- 450.00 (Vicious 80mm with Deore Hubs)

Tires and Tubes-252.00

Total-1377.00

Or you can get a Complete Build for $1799.00

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Been looking at this myself...

jut8 said:
Ever since i started mountain biking I have always been intrigued by the Pugsly. And after some thought, and thinking that the bike would be a blast to have here in the winter, and just a fun all around bike for anytime of the year, i am thinking about building/buying one of these awesome bikes.

I have built up a few bikes now, and I have always ran into those "unexpected" costs. Though I would be willing to buy one used, i work part time at a bike shop and can a decent deal on the parts from QBP. This will be my first experience with a Surly frame though. What can I expect money wise to have into one of these bikes? Any parts that are "must haves"? I know the large marge rims and the surly tires, but are there other options/opinions? If i do a build myself, i am thinking a 1x9 is what i want. What might be a good price on a used one if I come across one?

Thanks in advance guys.
... but I'm a ways off of pulling the trigger. I'm broke, car just needed service so expensive I could have bought another car, and going to sell the house soon and buy another one.

FWIU, Pug Specific parts are...

frame/fork (duh)
Bottom Bracket
crazy wide rims
... built into wheelset.... basically two rear wheels with a funky offset dish, so you can't really swap them to and from other bikes... Of course, you can use regular kinda disk hubs (or rim brake hubs if you're gonna run rim brakes... I woulnd't).

Tires
tubes

The rest are pretty much common parts.

If you have an unruly parts bin like I do, you can do pretty well with all but these parts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.