Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took a video of my bike which sounds perfect and then my wife bike that has a hard feel and vibration when going over bumps. I just changed out her stem and that's all and not sure if it started after that or not. Everything is tight and I am thinking maybe its in the shock. I can do a better video if needed but here is link... Let me know... Thanks...

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I took apart the headset again and it might have been that because it doesnt do it as much now. What is the correct way to make sure the headset is tight. Do I tighten the stem first then tighten the top screw or vice versa? How much torque can I do the top screw as well? Thnaks...

·
Registered
851 Posts
top screw first preload the system. Then line your stem up and tighten it. I would check the hub out as well... It looked like the tire stoped in the video - did I see that correctly or did you grab the brake?

·
Registered
826 Posts
Top screw before stem otherwise you will strip the thread on the headset bolt as it will only be tightening against the stem. Do it until it grips but not too tight and then make sure it all turns smoothly. Then tighten the stem bolts and this acts as extra security by gripping the fork steerer. When finished you can hold the front break and rock the bike forwards and backwards. There should be no loose movement in the headset.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To Aga, I didnt use the front brake but I was tighting my toptube first on my bike and broke the bolt so I guess you cant overtighten too much. When I get home I will take it off again and then tighten the toptube first pretty snug then the stem and then the toptube again? Thx...

·
Registered
851 Posts
How did you break the bolt that goes through the top cap? Did you screw up the star nut at the same time? I think more pics would be helpful if this doesn't work...

If you didn't grab the brake I think you should take a look at your hub; it seemed to stop really quickly. How much lateral movement is in the hub? If you take the wheel off the fork and move the axle (not the QR) is there more than just a little movement? If you grab the axle and spin the wheel how does it feel? It should feel very smooth and spin for a long time. When you put the wheel back on and tighten up the QR most/all of that movement should be gone. If its not or if the wheel doesn't turn well, it might not be a bad idea to go over the hub.

If your still having problems take the fork off the bike and put the lower stanchion onto a soft surface and grab the steerer tub. With your free hand grab the top of the lower stanchion (the support between the two legs) and try to rock it back and forth (not up and down). There should be no movement, if there is movement it's time to get the fork rebuilt.

The top tube bolt just preloads the system - in fact it really has no use once the stem is tight. So, preload the system with the top tube bolt (there should be clearence between where the steering tube ends and the top of the stem) then line up your stem and tighten it; then your done - hopefully it works at this point...

Now turn the headset - how does it feel? It should feel really smooth. If it doesn't the headset is setup incorrectly or its broken (prob missing parts). More pictures would be needed.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thx. I took wheel off and the hub seems fine. There is no play left and right when on the bike. My bike had that problem and replaced the bearings and that fixed that so I know what it should feel like and her bike is fine there. As far as how I broke my top bolt, I was keep tightening it before I tightened the stem and it didnt feel real tight so I kept tightening and it eventually broke. I git it out and replaced and now I know I dont need to tighten it that much just till the headset is tight everywhere then tighten the stem. I think I will be fine when I get home so thx for all the help... Eventually I will know everything with the 2 bikes but thx for all you guys till I do...

·
Registered
78 Posts
You mentioned you changed the stem on the bike... Does that model of Safire have that funky adjustable stem angle feature with the shims and special top cap (Pro-set or Comp-set)? If so, you may have not reinstalled it correctly leading to the noise you are hearing.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes it does and yes it was removed and instaled properly. The problem that happened is I tightened the stem before the top bolt thus not tightening the headset... Once I get home I will loosen stem and tighten top bolt till snug then tighten stem and should be all fine..... Thx...

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I knew it. I broke the top bolt tightening too tight. Lucky for me I had a spare as this happened to my bike a month back. Well all tight and no wiggle and sounds great. Thx all.

Anyone need a stock 2008 Specialized stem and Seatpost from a Safire. PM me

·
Registered
143 Posts
You know what I love about this site, that I can do a thread search and find this information. I was going to head to the bike shop tomorrow. I replaced my stem tonight and had a bunch of play in my front fork at the headset. I had tightened the stem before the top bolt. Thanks, I'm in business for tomorrow afternoon on Mt. Hood.

jim

1 - 14 of 14 Posts