Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm thinking of buying a Scalpel 2000 and I'm trying to figure out what it will handle. I ride XC and don't do any large drops, but I do ride hard and have a few long stretches of rooted downhill at the local trails. Has anyone had any problems with this bike from riding it too hard? I love the way it climbs but I want to make sure it won't have problems over the long run from the downhills.

·
Registered
47 Posts
cripen said:
I'm thinking of buying a Scalpel 2000 and I'm trying to figure out what it will handle. I ride XC and don't do any large drops, but I do ride hard and have a few long stretches of rooted downhill at the local trails. Has anyone had any problems with this bike from riding it too hard? I love the way it climbs but I want to make sure it won't have problems over the long run from the downhills.
Yes, me too I want to know what I can handle before I go out in the trail, break it and walk home. So far, I'm just riding on the road. It handle stairs pretty well so far.

Twon

·
Registered
215 Posts
I've had my Scalpel since 2002. I've ridden lots of stuff like you described but I'm definitely not a hucker. My bike's still in great shape. You'll be fine...enjoy.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
I've had my Sclapel since the beginningof 2004.
It's covered about 6000km since then and is still going strong.
It's just recently finished the Cape Epic MTB Stage race in South Africa (900km of MTB racing in 8 days) and was [probably one of the few brands that had very little trouble.
Only Scalep that suffered any mechaniclas was one whose owner had incorrectly serviced the Lefty and the lower assembly fell apart due to a broken bearing.
Scalpels were super reliable and also did'nt suffer any Chain suck unlike the 4 bar designs.

For racing and Light trail riding the bike is really very well made and strong despite it's plastic rear end.
The frame has survived what my rear wheel has not.... :D

·
Registered
217 Posts
I've had my Scalpel 800 since early 2003.
It has seen plenty of hard ridden off road miles.
Including some wicked long downhills.
It's still in great shape.
No worries.

·
Out riding my Scalpel
249 Posts
Scalpel is a great bike!!

I have a 2005 Scalpel 1000, had for about a month and its awesome. I've taken my Scalpel on some great XC rides with lots of technical climbs and technical decents and it has handle great. I've taken it to places I used to take my 2003 Jekyll and it has done great. In some places where my Jekyll and I couldn't handle my Scalpel has did with ease. I'm no hucker but the Scalpel is very nice ride. I love it. The more I ride it the more I really like it. It's fast and handles great.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
cripen said:
I had a 2003 Scalpel 800 and sheared off the top rear shock mounting bolt after about 9 months - presumably from bottoming the shock. Only noticed when I was cleaning it. I was running a Fox Float with about 9mm sag - quite soft for a Scalpel setup. Apart from that it physically survived everything my 190 lbs threw at it really quite well.

Not the best bike in the world on rooty descents though. There isn't much travel going on at either end so the ride is always going to be harsh. I had a few endos on mine pushing its limits on the kind of rooty downhills my 5.5" trailbike takes without any effort. Definitely a no-compromise XC racer rather than an all-day ride, even for XC.

I would look at the Prophet or similar longer travel bike for a more versatile harder riding XC bike. The new slightly shorter travel Prophet SL might be right up your street come to think of it. I think the Scalpel is on its way to retirement quite soon.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Good point UKTM.

The Prophet may actually be a better bike for the intended purpose.

A Scalpel is a race bike. It's not designed to keep you comfortable. It's designed for fast acceleration and climbing traction.
On rooty descents you need to have the balls to keep your hands off the brakes to get the most from it. The Prophet is definately more forgiving in this department.

I have my Scalpel set up quite nicely now and have found what works for me and what doesn't. Finding a comfortable set up on a prophet is much easier.

Re the Scalpels retirement; Fortunately thats not going to happen in the next 18months.
Scalpel is still on the list for next year but they are looking at replacing it with a lighter and perhaps slightly longer rear travel ZXC race bike for 2007.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.