Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I was wondering which Camelbak would have enough space to also hold a laptop and a few tools. I am hoping to be able to use this to make the commute to school, because on past rides I have been getting really thirsty. I was looking at the Camelbak HAWG, but don't know if that can fit a laptop or not.

·
Super Moderator
48,237 Posts
ExZeRoEx said:
Hi, I was wondering which Camelbak would have enough space to also hold a laptop and a few tools. I am hoping to be able to use this to make the commute to school, because on past rides I have been getting really thirsty. I was looking at the Camelbak HAWG, but don't know if that can fit a laptop or not.
Forget the Camelbak. Get a largest day pack designed for a laptop and a water bottle and cage for the bike.

First, few, if any, of the hydration packs are large enough for the computer. Second, I would not want the potential of a serious water leak anywhere near my computer.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Unless by laptop you're talking about a PDA, I can't see it fitting. Just buy a regular backpack and take a water bottle with you on your ride to school.

Just curious, how long is this ride to school?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's only about 2-3 miles I would guess, but I think that I drink more water than most people that I know. I'm just always abnormally thirsty or something. Also, I thought it would be nice to invest in a camelbak for longer rides too.

·
himom!
684 Posts
Get a backpack with a slot for a bladder. An outdoor store like REI will have many models to pick from. Then just buy the bladder. Or a cheap camelback, since they often are the same price as a bladder alone.

·
Registered
55 Posts
ExZeRoEx said:
It's only about 2-3 miles I would guess, but I think that I drink more water than most people that I know. I'm just always abnormally thirsty or something. Also, I thought it would be nice to invest in a camelbak for longer rides too.
I drink a lot of water each day. My ride to school is 5.3 miles and, despite how much I drink a day, I don't drink any water during the ride. Just drink some before you ride and drink some after you ride, your 2-3 miles should be lasting like 15 minutes unless you're going on hills or something, or shorter if you don't need to stop for anything.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've got a Camelback Rimrunner

It's got a 2 or 3 liter bladder and fit my 14" laptop no problem in addition to a Nikon D40 and some other stuff. If you want a Camelback I'd reccommend this one. The risk of leaking is pretty low I'd say. Never happened to me.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
The camelbak Motherlode will easily hold a laptop and a lot of other stuff. It's kinda big for a trail riding pack though.

M

·
0 Posts
rumin8 said:
I've got a Camelback Rimrunner

It's got a 2 or 3 liter bladder and fit my 14" laptop no problem in addition to a Nikon D40 and some other stuff. If you want a Camelback I'd reccommend this one. The risk of leaking is pretty low I'd say. Never happened to me.
i've got a RimRunner too and carry a good bit of stuff to and from work in it.

the RimRunner also makes after work rides a little easier too--i don't have to stop at home.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I've got a HAWG...the average laptop wouldn't fit in it.

If you're not married to Camelbak, check out the Ergon BC3. It has about twice the holding volume that the HAWG has. The USA rep (Jeff...he's a regular poster on these boards) said it was developed for the commuter in mind and should hold a laptop. It's just been released so I've never seen one. Price is a not too cheap $200 and doesn't include a bladder.

·
Ergon Bike
879 Posts
Rotmilky said:
If you're not married to Camelbak, check out the Ergon BC3. It has about twice the holding volume that the HAWG has. The USA rep (Jeff...he's a regular poster on these boards) said it was developed for the commuter in mind and should hold a laptop. It's just been released so I've never seen one. Price is a not too cheap $200 and doesn't include a bladder.
The Ergon BC3 will hold up to a 18 in. laptop...and is highly waterproof. The pack is set for a late April release. In fact, the pack is on its way to the USA as I type this.

Jeff
Ergon USA

Attachments

·
Nice no rass
682 Posts
Laptop backpacks are available at circuit city, best buy, etc. You *could* fit a bladder in there, but I'd be real careful of doing that next to a LT. Any leaks or sweating could cause problems. Safest bet for a 3 mile commute would be two bottle cages and bottles while the LT stays dry in a pack.

·
Fat guy on a bike
703 Posts
I have an Agent, the predecessor to the Motherload, and not only will it carry your laptop, but also a weeks worth of gear. That being said they are a bit big heh.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Depends on the size of your laptop. I originally purchased my HAWG specifically b/c my lappie fitted.

Why don't you head down to your LBS and take your lappie with you? See what fits.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts