Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
been looking for a while on PB for something used without much luck so might go new, want something with a good fork, and A 30.9 or 31.6 seat tube so i can run a dropper.. as we all know so much is out of stock i keep coming up empty.. suggestions? thanks

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good to know about the pnw dropper, thanks. Yeah a friend of mine just got a nucleus for his kid like two weeks ago, it is a great bike for the price but I was less then impressed with the fork. it didn't come with a Grind fork like its pictured with, I forget which brand, but it was pretty rough feeling and stiff even with like 20 psi..

Any other suggestions welcome. Thanks a lot

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
297 Posts
nukeproof cub scout 24" race? They seem to be in stock @ CRC - Nukeproof Cub-Scout 24 Race Bike (Deore) 2021 | Chain Reaction Cycles and the fork is awesome/best there is for kids bikes. We have the 20" race (and actually had a 24" race also, but decided it was too big for my son so ordered the 20" and sold the 24")

Good to know about the pnw dropper, thanks. Yeah a friend of mine just got a nucleus for his kid like two weeks ago, it is a great bike for the price but I was less then impressed with the fork. it didn't come with a Grind fork like its pictured with, I forget which brand, but it was pretty rough feeling and stiff even with like 20 psi..

Any other suggestions welcome. Thanks a lot

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
911 Posts
It sounds like the Nucleus might be out for you based on your comments. For those still considering it, I would recommend the Brand-X Ascend Kids dropper over the Fern from PNW. Both posts are made by Tranz X, but the Brand-X is more compact and an internal post which the Nucleus will accommodate. We've been very happy with the Brand-X kid's post on our son's bike.

If you can swing a bike like the previously mentioned Nukeproof or Commencal with the JUnit fork, they are definitely worth it.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts

I only know about this bike cause I'm on Fezzari's email list. But its 3-5 weeks out, which isn't too bad by todays standards.

·
Registered
911 Posts

I only know about this bike cause I'm on Fezzari's email list. But its 3-5 weeks out, which isn't too bad by todays standards.
I wonder what length cranks are? Hopefully the spec'd the 155mm version. At least they use decent Stans rims and tubeless tires. Still, I'd have a hard time paying $1000 for the Fezzari with the Suntour XCR fork and boat anchor SX drivetrain when bikes like the CubScout Race with JUnit fork are available for $200 more.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I wonder what length cranks are? Hopefully the spec'd the 155mm version. At least they use decent Stans rims and tubeless tires. Still, I'd have a hard time paying $1000 for the Fezzari with the Suntour XCR fork and boat anchor SX drivetrain when bikes like the CubScout Race with JUnit fork are available for $200 more.
155 mm cranks are long for a kid that rides a 24" bike. That like (5'11") me riding cranks that are over 200mm. Watching hip angle, even 140 is on the long side (but workable) for my 50" son.

Agreed on the forks. The suntour has high stiction, but I wasn't in the boat where I was willing to spend that money for a bike and forks until I see my son stick with it for a couple years, and perhaps move into an adult wheel size, where we can transfer a good fork between bikes as he grows.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
been looking for a while on PB for something used without much luck so might go new, want something with a good fork, and A 30.9 or 31.6 seat tube so i can run a dropper.. as we all know so much is out of stock i keep coming up empty.. suggestions? thanks
What's your budget? Trailcraft Pineridge 24 Carbon is in stock - Pineridge 24 Carbon | Trailcraft Cycles

·
Registered
911 Posts
155 mm cranks are long for a kid that rides a 24" bike. That like (5'11") me riding cranks that are over 200mm. Watching hip angle, even 140 is on the long side (but workable) for my 50" son.

Agreed on the forks. The suntour has high stiction, but I wasn't in the boat where I was willing to spend that money for a bike and forks until I see my son stick with it for a couple years, and perhaps move into an adult wheel size, where we can transfer a good fork between bikes as he grows.
No doubt! And I probably should have been more clear. My comment that "hopefully they spec'd the 155mm version" is because that is the shortest length available in the SRAM SX cranks. The bike should be spec'd with about a 140mm crank IMO. Almost all of my kids bike have had the cranks swapped to something shorter as soon as possible. The exception being my oldest's Vitus Kids 24+. The bike came equipped with narrow Q 140mm cranks. They were a little long for him at first, but he seems to be fit quite well and comfortable on them now at 54" tall.

·
Registered
Status 140, NS Suburban
465 Posts
Just Bought Giant SPT FS 20 / 24 for kids, I would consider this a quality HT for the price around $700 each (tax and shipping included) for 5 and 7 years old boys

Vitus Nukleous - good deal as well and in stock;

What is good fork for the kid in your opinion ? Also how old/tall kid are? Since I would say it is better to ride subpar bike now, then not ride at all and wait for ideal bike, kids tend to grow super fast and tend to not to care about latest technology on their bike at all

I used to ride 24' inch bike when I was 25years and weight 190 pounds with height of 6 + feet ( quite different requirements for the bike )

·
Registered
911 Posts
If the Nucleus is out due to not liking the Suntour XCR Air fork, then the Giant equipped with an XCT coil fork shouldn't even be a consideration. The Giant is decent for the money otherwise, but I would immediately replace the fork with a Manitou Markhor 26 for about $250. With that your creeping dangerously close to Nukeproof Cub-Scout 24 Race money, IF you could find one.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.