Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Nimble 9 and love/like it a lot. Yet my old bones will like a FS frame. I have looked around some but most 29'ers have a steeper HA than I want or that I see listed. Not wanting to bust the bank as I have a Knolly for that. But what frames fit close to a 120/130mm of travel, yet also have close to a 67/68 degree HA?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Intense Spider Comp (68.5 HTA w/130mm fork, travel adjustable from 114-127mm)

Rocky Mountain Instinct (67.7-69.3 HTA, 130mm travel)

·
Registered
304 Posts
But keep in mind that just matching the HTA of the N9 won't give you the same feel. All of the FS 29'ers that have been listed have chainstays that are on the order of 3/4" longer and their wheelbases will be at least 2" longer. The Devinci Atlas has some of the shortest chainstays of any FS 29'er, but its travel (110mm) and slackest head angle (70.6 degrees) aren't what you're looking for.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Actually if he's looking for something like the Yelli, but that will just take the edge off, I'd have to say Phantom over the Prime, he'll get much closer to that nimble feel of the Yelli. If you don't know about it, 105mm of rear travel, KS Link (multi/mini link design), adjustable geo 67.5*/68*/68.5* HTA, designed around a 531mm/120mm travel fork.

My story, coming off the same steep angled bikes you referenced - first got a Paradox, couldn't believe how much fun it was, how great it climbed, how sweet it was descending, overall the confidence the slacker geo gave. Then I got a Prime, it was heavier and burlier than the Paradox by far, it had longer stays, but the handling still felt pretty close and it out-climbed the Paradox on anything not flat , something I never thought it would, then point it DH and Whoa Moma does it ever just haul and inspire. Just now got a Phantom and had sold my V1 Paradox and got a replacement for that in a V2 Paradox, built up the Phantom with parts from the Prime, did a few test rides, loved it, perfect for me, built up the Paradox, took it for one test ride and determined that I no longer needed a HT with the Phantom. I think it would perfectly suit what you're looking for.

Yeti SB95, Banshee Prime.

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Think the new Salsa Horsethief has caught my eye. I'm just checking to be sure my componenst will transfer over and on to how stiff the rear section is, as I am a heavy guy.

I am sure the new Banshee is nice. But after being a 1st gen Spitfire owner. I would never buy another Banshee product.

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rage had a Horsethief and SB95 last time I was there.
Spoke with Curly already today. Have not checked but the Yeti might be out of my price range. I just want something with some cushy for Brown's Ranch and such. Still have my Knolly for PMP. Did a longer Greenbelt ride last night and the HT was killing my back at the end of the ride. Doc says longer easier rides to get a few pounds off for a transplant. So I want to be able to go out to Browns or the greenbelt and lay down some miles without a back issue.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Kona Satori: This one is a steal if you ride a Large/19": The Path Bike Shop | Orange County | CA | Bicycles | Mountain | Road | Custom Build | Repair | Bike Fit
Kona Process if you're OK with 111mm
Salsa Horsethief either new or old (should be able to find a 2012-2013 for cheap)

EDIT: Forgot some obvious ones:
Transition Covert
Transition Bandit (first year models had more travel before the Covert came to be)
Hammerhead Thumper, basically a Satori with Horst Link (Last year models being blown out dirt cheap:Hammerhead Thumper Frame ? 27.5 | 29er | Switchback Bikes)

Check Home - The Path Bike Shop | Orange County | CA | Bicycles | Mountain | Road | Custom Build | Repair | Bike Fit under "Clearance Frames" They've got a bunch for short money.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts