Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I am looking for some hyd. brakes for my bike. I have mechanical that I am replacing. It is a full suspension 29er. I am running a 203mm rotor on the front and a 180mm on the back. I am trying to stay under $200. I found some avid elixir 7 brake set new for $145.00 shipped. What do you think?? It is so hard to choose, so many to choose from?

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Just say no to Avid Elixirs. You might get lucky and receive a good set but the odds are against it. Be prepared to deal with leaks, mushy levers, bleeding issues galore, and brakes that squeal like Ned Betty in Deliverance.

Get a set of Shimano SLX brakes and call it done.
Shimano SLX M675 Disc Brake | Chain Reaction Cycles

If you need or want to buy new rotors, go one down to the M615 Deore. It's a bit heavier and doesn't have the ceramic pistons and tool free reach adjust on the levers, but everything else is essentially the same. Then get a set of Shimano RT67 or RT76 rotors depending on which hubs you have, or the RT86 Ice-tech rotors if you need more fade resistance.
Shimano Deore M615 Disc Brake | Chain Reaction Cycles

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK ya those look good thanks for the help. I do have the standard I.S. mount stuff on there and I can use that stuff still right? It will mount right up and use what I have?

·
Registered
65 Posts
OK ya those look good thanks for the help. I do have the standard I.S. mount stuff on there and I can use that stuff still right? It will mount right up and use what I have?
Order the Deore 615 from China. It'll take about 10 days to arrive, but you can get them for $115 shipped. Ride what you have until then. If you already have mechanical brakes installed, they will mount to the same hardware.

Deore or SLX is the best dollar-to-performance ratio equipment you can get. I use deore front to back and the performance is astounding for the price.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Order the Deore 615 from China. It'll take about 10 days to arrive, but you can get them for $115 shipped. Ride what you have until then. If you already have mechanical brakes installed, they will mount to the same hardware.

Deore or SLX is the best dollar-to-performance ratio equipment you can get. I use deore front to back and the performance is astounding for the price.
Do you know the website or link to where you can find them that cheap? Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts