Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just built up my El Comandante which I race XC on. Thinking of some Hopes to go with it.. but just wondering, will the M4 be overkill? I heard the mono mini may not have enough braking power... Really like the look of the new red limited brakes and think that the 183mm front would probably be better on the 29er than the 160mm mono mini....??

I weigh around 165 with gear

Thoughts?

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Depends....

ryan123 said:
Just built up my El Comandante which I race XC on. Thinking of some Hopes to go with it.. but just wondering, will the M4 be overkill? I heard the mono mini may not have enough braking power... Really like the look of the new red limited brakes and think that the 183mm front would probably be better on the 29er than the 160mm mono mini....??

I weigh around 165 with gear

Thoughts?
... on your weight and where/how your ride. I'm 200 pounds and ride on 160mm 2005 Mono Minis, and most of the time they are great. There is once descent that I regularly do that drops around 1200 feet in a couple of miles, with a really steep drop of 600 feet in the middle of that. If I don't watch it, I smoke my brakes on that steep section, but that is the only real trouble spot.

Despite what some think, wheel size makes no difference. It's all about converting momentum into heat, and getting rid of that heat so you don't smoke the brakes.

Other than that, I love my Mono Minis.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I'm going with the Shimano Saint M810. This is the new 4 piston caliper like the old XT 755 brakes. The Saints just came out on the market, but with the success of the old Shimano XT M755 I am all in on the Saints for 2008.

BFE

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
I've been waiting for those

BIGfatED said:
I'm going with the Shimano Saint M810. This is the new 4 piston caliper like the old XT 755 brakes. The Saints just came out on the market, but with the success of the old Shimano XT M755 I am all in on the Saints for 2008.

BFE
I had a set of M755s, and they felt great. The had amazing power while retaining good modulation. The primary problem I had with them was that they dragged all the frickin time, and all the 0.2mm shims added and taken away wouldn't fix the issue. I hear this was a common issue with the M755s. They were kinda heavy too. I finally dumped them. It broke my heart. Okay, not really, but you get the ideer.

They probably solved that problem with the new Saint version.

·
Is my rear tire flat?
858 Posts
Kona Kula 29

Shimano XTR Hydraulics. 5th year on these brakes, other than routine bleeding and brake pad replacement, they have been bullet proof.

I really like some of the newer brakes out there like the Avid Ultimates but I would want to ride and compare them before buying them.

db

·
Go make a difference
1,249 Posts
I'm probably another wrong person to ask, but I keep it simple: Avid BB7 with FR5 levers and 203mm rotors. Thinking of doing something different on my next build with smaller rotors, but I doubt I'll change. I like basics and being able to swap parts from one frame to another if needed. These work for me.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.