Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im gettin an STP from my friend and im only running a rear brake on it...but what brake should i run? I want hydrolic and hopefully under $100 and i can get them at a discount because i work at a shop...any ideas?

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
snaky69 said:
I'd get a juicy 5. Some like the HFX-9, some don't, I liked it.
i hated the hfx...please do yourself a favour and dont get it...the brake is either on, or it is off there is nothing but grab and you wont like it for uban, especilly if you are doing wheelies because as soon as you tap the brake to balance its going to grab and you are going to go forward.

personally i would recomend some bb7's or equivilant but you want hydros

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
East Coast Bender said:
alright so it looks like Avid is the way to go but which avid brake?
Code?
Juicy 5?
Juicy 7?
I think that codes and juicy 7's would be too much, I really like my juicy 5's that I have for my blur 4x, very powerful

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
J5isalive said:
why are you gonna put hydros on a bike that is gonna get tossed to the ground and take big falls and huge hits. i'd rethink and throw a BB7 on the back.

IMHO.

John
word, couldn't of said it better myself. you want this type of bike to be strong and simple. mechs are where it's at. i love my bb7.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
haha ive actually never thought about that part of it, the only reason i was thinking hydros is they always seem to have a better feel to me then mech, the best mech ive used is a bb5 and it was decent but it seemed to not modulate as well as the magura louise fr brakes i have

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
f0ggy said:
I think that codes and juicy 7's would be too much, I really like my juicy 5's that I have for my blur 4x, very powerful
Carbons, 7s, and 5s are the exact same. Carbon has some lighter hardware and a carbon lever, 7s have the knob. From a performance standpoint they are the SAME.

Codes are overkill on a urban/dj bike.

Nines have poor reliability and poor modulation.

·
Premium Member
1,842 Posts
BB-7s, Juicy 7s, or Shimano Deore/LX/XTs.

I don't like Juicy 5s because you can't adjust the pad contact and they always end up feeling crappy. Hayes are pretty worthless, they're super unreliable.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
XSL_WiLL said:
Carbons, 7s, and 5s are the exact same. Carbon has some lighter hardware and a carbon lever, 7s have the knob. From a performance standpoint they are the SAME.

Codes are overkill on a urban/dj bike.

Nines have poor reliability and poor modulation.
didnt mean to say they were different brakes all togeather, just ment too much money

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.