Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a recent talk with a family friend whos a GP my dads been convinced that i need to buy body armor to protect my "vital organs." Although not convinced my dads set on making me get some and said either find some to buy or i'll just get u something for christmas. Normally id just be like sure get it for me for chirstmas and let him pick something, wait a few months of wearing it and if i dont feel the nede for it slowly stop weairnig it, but if i do do that hes said that i cant ride till i get the "proper protection." Seeing i havnt rode for 1 month and my new forks are coming this week, i really want to get back on a bike asap. As i dont really have a way of geeting out of it, whats the best thing to get considereing i dont want some massive full lenght body armor that weighs a ton. I just want somthing simple and protective that protects my lower chest area? What do you recomend? Also is it really that nesesery to have that area protected for the type of riding im doing, which is at the moment is just doing small drops, light trails, and average sized dirt jumps, considering my dad worried about me driving the handle bars through my stomach or sumthing crazy. I really need some help with this one guys.

Cheers,
Si
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
445 Posts
Dainese

The dainese safety jacket is pretty good but a tad expensive. has the hard plastic chest protector and kidney belt.
Others will probably recommend 661 pressure suit or the rockgarden jobbie.
 

·
noMAD man
Joined
·
12,117 Posts
How much will you have to pedal/climb?

Chalkie said:
After a recent talk with a family friend whos a GP my dads been convinced that i need to buy body armor to protect my "vital organs." Although not convinced my dads set on making me get some and said either find some to buy or i'll just get u something for christmas. Normally id just be like sure get it for me for chirstmas and let him pick something, wait a few months of wearing it and if i dont feel the nede for it slowly stop weairnig it, but if i do do that hes said that i cant ride till i get the "proper protection." Seeing i havnt rode for 1 month and my new forks are coming this week, i really want to get back on a bike asap. As i dont really have a way of geeting out of it, whats the best thing to get considereing i dont want some massive full lenght body armor that weighs a ton. I just want somthing simple and protective that protects my lower chest area? What do you recomend? Also is it really that nesesery to have that area protected for the type of riding im doing, which is at the moment is just doing small drops, light trails, and average sized dirt jumps, considering my dad worried about me driving the handle bars through my stomach or sumthing crazy. I really need some help with this one guys.

Cheers,
Si
You get lots of opinions about the design and types of body armor available. Those Dainese and other "body suit" types are obviously the most protection you can get, but they can become a body cooker if you have to climb, do a fair amount of hard pedaling, or the outside temp is into the 80's. A lot of riders take them off for the climbs and put them on at the top for the descent. What do you do if you're terrain is constantly going up and down? I use a high quality MX style body armor set from Answer called APEX. Some will contend that the hard MX armor is just roost protection. That has changed dramatically over the last few years. Quality hard MX armor has padding and foam based "stand offs" in all the critical areas for impact absorption. It is critical that if you use hard MX armor that you get the style that has these impact areas designed in them. Some designs are just plasic panels all attached in a unit, and while these are better than nothing, they do not absorb energy on impact. Here's a pic of what I use. The ideal setup would be to use the pressure suit designs for cooler weather and shuttle-only applications and then use the hard MX design for extended pedaling and warmer weather. Additionally I use the triangular MX pant hip inserts tucked inside my riding shorts. The velcro on the hip inserts grip that lycra material inside all my baggies just like it does in my MX pants.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
I use Hoots Vorpal Body Armour.It's saved me on numerous occasions.Light and comfortable.However,when you climb in the heat,it does get REALLY hot!
Dave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah ive had a look at some of the suggested brands and the sixsisxone looks good but i think its gonna be a little to deer. can u sorta just get like a belt that goes around you abdomen area to protect that
 

·
Loose Nut Behind d' Wheel
Joined
·
1,500 Posts
TNC said:
You get lots of opinions about the design and types of body armor available. Those Dainese and other "body suit" types are obviously the most protection you can get, but they can become a body cooker if you have to climb, do a fair amount of hard pedaling, or the outside temp is into the 80's. A lot of riders take them off for the climbs and put them on at the top for the descent. What do you do if you're terrain is constantly going up and down? I use a high quality MX style body armor set from Answer called APEX. Some will contend that the hard MX armor is just roost protection. That has changed dramatically over the last few years. Quality hard MX armor has padding and foam based "stand offs" in all the critical areas for impact absorption. It is critical that if you use hard MX armor that you get the style that has these impact areas designed in them. Some designs are just plasic panels all attached in a unit, and while these are better than nothing, they do not absorb energy on impact. Here's a pic of what I use. The ideal setup would be to use the pressure suit designs for cooler weather and shuttle-only applications and then use the hard MX design for extended pedaling and warmer weather. Additionally I use the triangular MX pant hip inserts tucked inside my riding shorts. The velcro on the hip inserts grip that lycra material inside all my baggies just like it does in my MX pants.
What do you mean by "roost protection". Does it keep chickens from landing on your shoulders? ;^P

Seriously, I need to wear a chest protector due to bad bones, and I don't know what the term "roost protection" means. I currently wear a junior-sized Fox BMX chest protector that looks similar to what you show, but it has a distinct lack of padding over the little rivets that hold the meager pads in place. They're nowhere near as thick as what you show. I've attached some stick-on helmet pads on some of the contact spots that cause the most discomfort. I'd love to get something better, but I need a small size. Where did you get yours?

Even the plastic chest plate is bloody hot in the summer. I can't imagine riding uphill wearing body-suit style armor.

Thanks!
Kathy
 

·
noMAD man
Joined
·
12,117 Posts
Like I said.

Lucky said:
What do you mean by "roost protection". Does it keep chickens from landing on your shoulders? ;^P

Seriously, I need to wear a chest protector due to bad bones, and I don't know what the term "roost protection" means. I currently wear a junior-sized Fox BMX chest protector that looks similar to what you show, but it has a distinct lack of padding over the little rivets that hold the meager pads in place. They're nowhere near as thick as what you show. I've attached some stick-on helmet pads on some of the contact spots that cause the most discomfort. I'd love to get something better, but I need a small size. Where did you get yours?

Even the plastic chest plate is bloody hot in the summer. I can't imagine riding uphill wearing body-suit style armor.

Thanks!
Kathy
Your experience with the discomfort and fitting issues on the lower end MX style armor is what I was talking about--some of them are just plastic panels bradded together. Some of them don't have much ventilation either. The "stand offs" pictured here also hold the armor off of your body for added ventilation. You want lots of vents with padded, foam stand offs for energy impact absorption and cooling. I've worn this body armor in late May in Moab with no heat real heat effects.

Man, you must be young if you don't recognize the term "roost". It's what happens when you're behind and within 100' of a Honda CR500 dirt motorcyle in loose or rocky terrain, and he's on the gas really hard...50mph missles consisting of rocks, dirt clods, or anything his 5.30 knobby can pick up and throw at you.
 

·
Loose Nut Behind d' Wheel
Joined
·
1,500 Posts
TNC said:
Man, you must be young if you don't recognize the term "roost".
Thank you, thank you, thank you! ;^D

I'm afraid I'm anything but young. I just never rode a motorcycle, hence my ignorance.

Yeah, I was looking at your description and your armor sounds so much more comfy than what I've got. I'm going to see if I can find a source.

Kathy
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top