Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems everyone who owns a particular bike gives glowing reviews of it. Most people seem to love the bike they own and don't have anything bad to say about it. Nobody wants to knock their own bike right? I think this can sometimes give a generally skewed sense of a bike's worth. So I thought I'd ask if anyone had owned a bike that they didn't like at all and what they thought was wrong with it. This thread is just for kicks cause I'm bored.

·
Registered
269 Posts
2002 Trek 4900. I bought it new and traded in my 90s edition, I don't know exactly what year since I bought it used, Rock Hopper to get a little money off. It was the heaviest aluminum frame bike, it weighed more than my schwinn. The fork was nice, but the derailleurs, front and rear, broke within a week. Not only that but the front tire tread peeled off.

The bike shop I bought it from replaced the parts. All issues were blamed on vendor defects. However, after taking a spill when the tire tread peeled, the bike always felt shaky and I never felt like I had good control. The shop owner allowed me to return the bike and gave me back my Rock Hopper, which I continued to ride until I got rid of it in 2005. I've hated Trek bikes ever since then and I still feel uncomfortable on those bikes.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Previous bike: 2006 Cannondale Prophet 600. First heavy use bike. Loved almost everything about the bike. The adjustable geometry, the way it handled, the abuse is could take, and the multipurpose rides I could take it on. Couple things I didn't like about the bike..the proprietorship of Cannondale and the lefty shock, not a lot of choices for aftermarket parts like hubs and stems. Also, I guess the Lefty was as tunable as I would have liked it to be.

Current bike: 2007 Soul Cycles Sluggo. First build from the bottom up. Love how the bike handles and the slack geometry. I feel good about the fact that I picked all the parts I put on it. Lyrik u-turn kicks ass. Soul Cycles customer service is top freaking notch. Anything you need/want..tech advice, new dropouts, the vector files for making custom stickers, anything. About the only thing I can find to dislike about the bike is the rear dropouts but with a little rigging, they workout pretty good.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Couple

Gary Fisher Jashua URT P.O.S. was horrible. and one that will anger some: Santa Cruz Blur; I never found the "Magic" set up after trying for 8 for 9 months and finally having my lack of comfort on the bike and the internals of the Reba I had on it spitting out of the top of the fork, sending me to the hospital I dumped that turd.

·
some know me as mongo
692 Posts
my old weyless 67 frame. you want to talk about flexy, that thing would turn about 10 seconds after you did because of the flex. other than that i have not hated any of my bikes

·
aka Willy Vanilly
485 Posts
I really didn't like my Ellsworth Truth that much. I didn't crack it or anything like that but the standover was really high. Also, the short fork I had on there made the bike pretty darn twitchy.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Haro Sonix S. I couldn't sell it for any price either so the frame was traded for a set of brakes. Harsh. I wanted to like it sooo much but I didn't, and I can't even begin to express my disappointment in the frame... :(

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Fisher Cake - At 6'2" I wasn't even close to tall enough for the XL frame. The top tube felt like it was 8 feet long, the wheelset came brand new with a flat spot and quickly became untrue, the Bontrager seat gave me back problems, the Manitou Swinger had a rebound adjustment knob but it didn't work, three times I had chainsuck just riding around, the Bontrager tires came with simulated knobs for ultimate psuedo traction, and the Bontrager crankset was a flexy as a rubberband. The bike was slapped with an "All Mountain" label but I could only comfortably ride it on smooth fireroads. On technical singletrack, the bike was scary. Descents made me nervous, speed scared me, climbing sucked, and I was uncomfortable.

What made it worse, I replaced the 105mm stem with a 90mm to reduce the cockpit. This didn't help much but drastically affected the climbing ability. The front end got very light and uncontrollable. The bike would often lift on the slightest incline and I would have to bail before going over backwards.

I sold it after one year and I was glad to see it go.

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
marin nail trail- 74* seat angle, 71* head angle, 120mm stem and 120mm fork. Sketch.

Then the dropout broke over the course of 3 months of never-shifting-right-on-the-trail.

·
Ride and Smile
736 Posts
Not one!

I've never owned I bike I didn't like. But bikes I have owned I would never ride again. I loved my slingshot, superlght, fsr, joker (ok, didn't love the joker), 5spot and never want to ride any of them again. Mostly cause each new bike I get is better than the last and changes my riding for the better. I remember the spring I showed up for work and proflex gave bikes to the other guys and I didn't get one. I was bummed, the beast looked awesome! One of the mechanics moved the rear shock to get more travel and it was totally cool. Of course no one was riding the girvin and no one had climbing bars.

·
Super Moderator
4,971 Posts
Not so much hated the bike but had problems with it which I shouldn't have had and so never really connected with it.

Cannondale Prophet Team 4x

1. One of the first bikes to come with a Roco RC but the rebound adjuster had a QC problem and so was "all" or "nothing". Tuning and factory rebuilds never got it right.

2. Spring was too light and it irritated me that on a bike this expensive I couldn't buy it with the correctly specced spring.

3. Lefty hub / fork interface squeaked unless meticulously maintained (ie stripped down after every ride).

I wanted to love it but just didn't have the connection, sold it after 18 months and bought a Yeti 575.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I've been pretty happy with all the bikes I've owned (until I convince myself that a new bike would be better for various reasons) but I rented a Specialized Epic several years ago and absolutely hated it. The add campaign should read "All the drawbacks of a hardtail with the extra weight of suspension (that appeared to do nothing).

That bike makes my Racer X feel line a super plush downhill bike.

·
Registered
527 Posts
RED5 said:
86 Proflex Beast

First full sus bike I ever bought and also the absolute worst. Bad geometry, garbage suspension, basically just all around piece of [email protected]
Made me smile to see a Pro Flex... I test rode one at a mountain bike ride day; jumped off a small wood 6" ramp they'd built and flatted both wheels - I didn't buy!

I did used to like the old Girvin flex stem (part of Pro Flex's stable).

The bike I hated most was the Specialized Epic. I've had loads of Specialized, but couldn't get on with the Epic. It was so hard and my racing days are over... Ebayed the frame and built my current Enduro : )

1 - 20 of 171 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.