Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

· Banned
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, a friend is looking for a new bike. She's been on a steel HT and want a fully. She doesn't want a Santa Cruz but beyond that has no Idea. She asked me, and I have no Idea about suspension bikes so I'm asking the masses....
She is: 5'6"
Strong
Rides alot in NVT
Wants 4"+ inches of rear wheel travel, less the 6"
Doesn't want to break the bank

Let's hear them?!

· Black Lion
4,431 Posts
I would also second the Lisa series from Kona. For 2008 it was the Lisa Four/ 2009 is the Lisa 120..

GT also has some cool womens specific suspension bikes offering big bang for the buck. The Marathom W.

· Doesnt ride Banshees
1,406 Posts
For $400 more you could also look at the Giant Cypher. http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/bikes/women/2290/32078/ Small upgrades over the Lisa, but the main one is the fork. With the Dart being a rather low end fork that will eventually need replacing, the Fox will be a servicable fork that will prevent the $400+ upgrade in the future.

· Registered
376 Posts
I currently ride a Yeti 575 and would recommend this bike especially they now make pretty much all sizes. But it's 5.75" of travel.

For an efficient pedaling (DW-Link) bike with 5" of travel I would check the last generation of IronHorse MkIII. They slackened the head angle slightly and reduce the weight by approx. 1lb compares compared to the model I had (2005). The 2008 Elite weight around 28lbs and they are often discounted.

· Ride and Smile suckas
592 Posts
Before the Pivot I had a Stumpy FSR that was great, broke the rear shock twice, lots of flex in the rear of that bike but Fox always fixed the issues.
I have had GT, Trek and Giant before that, i have never disliked a bike that I have owned becuase I always DEMO them before I buy something. I have taken a few demos that I have not liked, but you have to wonder if your the 5th or 50th person that has ridden the bike and what kind of maint did the shop put in.
Nothing i have ridden even comes close to the Pivot but I have not tried an Ibis Mojo yet and I hear they are really good too.

· Registered
2,542 Posts
How about a Titus?

Titus Moto-Lite might be a good option. You can buy it frame only or fully built up. Titus seems to be blowing them out right now due to a model change coming up.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.