1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is the best bike in the world ???
:D

ok on to my real question .
i was just wondering if you all would help point me in the right direction and help me figure out what bikes i should look at in the $400 - $600 range .

i have looked at a few Iron horse bikes ( Warrior 4.0 ) and i am going to check out some GT's and Haro today . i just need some more options .

any way , thx in advance every one :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
adhumston said:
Check out the Giant Yukon FX. Not a "true" AM machine (just 4" of travel i think) , but a good buy for a FS bike. Can be found for around $700
than you thank you !!! :)
i am actually going to a bike shop that sells Giant in the next few days and i will definitely give the Yukon FX a look .

·
Registered
100 Posts
mrpercussive said:
in that price range i would stick to a hard tail... some of the Yakuza hardtails make some nice AM hardtails...
I agree under 1k you would not be getting much of a full suspension.
I would also look on Craigs, you never know what kind of deal you will find there. I scored a 05 yeti 575 with 4 rides on it for 1k there. It was the low end build kit but even with the upgrades to Talas & XO parts I will still in it for under 2k.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I work at a bike shop and I highly discourage anyone from buying the Yukon Fx. The suspension set-up is decent, but when it comes to the rear shock and the front fork, they are among the lowest quality you'll find anywhere. For that price your wayyyy better off with a hardtail.

·
BrassBalled DropbarNinja
11,813 Posts
rweddy1 said:
I agree under 1k you would not be getting much of a full suspension.
I would also look on Craigs, you never know what kind of deal you will find there. I scored a 05 yeti 575 with 4 rides on it for 1k there. It was the low end build kit but even with the upgrades to Talas & XO parts I will still in it for under 2k.
yea... only bike i can think of worth looking at for under 1k is these and they're out of stock for most sizes...

http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/IGN-SUP-Details.html

Dude... you scored on that 575... XD

·
Ride the dream
1,381 Posts
scralatchtica824 said:
I work at a bike shop and I highly discourage anyone from buying the Yukon Fx. The suspension set-up is decent, but when it comes to the rear shock and the front fork, they are among the lowest quality you'll find anywhere. For that price your wayyyy better off with a hardtail.
I would agree that most people are better of with a hardtail - but from the POV that spending that amount, generally, its your first serious bike and you're better with a hardtail for skills.

However, that bike is the only full-susser in that price bracket thats actually worth considering - for people not so bothered about skills (casual/leisure riders), or who cannot afford a more expensive fullsus bike, they are the cheapest worthwhile fullsus out there.
Sure, the shock and fork aren't brilliant, but are functional, and the frame is pretty decent - there is a market for it, and it takes it all to itself IMO.

Also, please dont try the "I work at a bike shop" line to try and inject authority, alot of people here will take it exactly the oposite - if you know what you're talking about it will be obvious, and if you dont it will also be obvious.
There are many people that work in bike shops that know next to nothing about bikes, whats best for who and so on... If you think you know your stuff, you wont need to use that line to justify your position (which IMO is not correct in this instance).

·
*Contents Under Pressure
352 Posts
shop rats have opinons too?

EnglishT said:
Also, please dont try the "I work at a bike shop" line to try and inject authority, alot of people here will take it exactly the oposite - if you know what you're talking about it will be obvious, and if you dont it will also be obvious.
There are many people that work in bike shops that know next to nothing about bikes, whats best for who and so on... If you think you know your stuff, you wont need to use that line to justify your position (which IMO is not correct in this instance).
Maybe he is just saying that because he works in a bike shop that sells the Yukon and has had people come in complaining about it..that is what i got out of it anyways.

At that price range i do think a hard tail would be a better choice (my opinion with no authority injected). The components on the hard tail will be better and you don't have to be a hardcore mountain biker to appreciate that. but then this is coming from a guy who doesnt own a full sus and has no desire to get one. so much of it depends on how you ride, where u ride, and how much abuse your body can take ect..

·
Ride the dream
1,381 Posts
I just dislike people that try to make their opinion seem more informed or important by saying things like that.

The fact of the matter is that working in a shop doesnt make the blindest bit of difference, there are uninformed bikers and uninformed shop workers - and there are informed bikers and informed shop workers.

Just seems that some people drop that line so people think they know what theyre talking about, when they dont - as if they did know what they were talking about, they wouldnt need to say it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
EnglishT said:
I just dislike people that try to make their opinion seem more informed or important by saying things like that.

The fact of the matter is that working in a shop doesnt make the blindest bit of difference, there are uninformed bikers and uninformed shop workers - and there are informed bikers and informed shop workers.

Just seems that some people drop that line so people think they know what theyre talking about, when they dont - as if they did know what they were talking about, they wouldnt need to say it.
Calm down man, there's no need to jump all over him. Especially since he gave good advice.

Unless you find a great deal on a used full suspension bike, stay away from any in that price range. With your budget I would recommend an Iron Horse warrior 3.0. Deore shifters, derailleurs, and brakes make it a great bike for the money.

As much as I like GT bikes, i would not get an avalanche as they are spec'd with crappy sun tour forks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hey guys thx for all the replies ! :)

1 thing i wanted to get out of the way real quick is ...
i don't have much experience on MT bikes . i do have lot's of experience with DJ , freestyle / half pipe , BMX , and loads of urban street riding . i have been riding bikes since i was 6 and stopped because of work / injury when i was 20 - 21. about 9 years ago . i am not sure when you all say it would be better to learn on a HT over a full suspension really apply to me or not ?

side note :
i still lower the seat on every bike i have tried all the way down ... to the amusement of who ever is helping me at the bike shops :)

anyway i have been looking around a few local bike shops and i think i have found a few bikes i liked . 3 to be exact .

Iron Horse warrior 4.5
Iron Horse 3.5 HT
and Iron Horse 5.0 .

odly enough the 4.5 ( a full sus bike ) is speced out very similar to the 5.0 and 3.5 .
i am kind of leaning toward the 4.5 but still unsure .

·
BrassBalled DropbarNinja
11,813 Posts
nek0s said:
hey guys thx for all the replies ! :)

1 thing i wanted to get out of the way real quick is ...
i don't have much experience on MT bikes . i do have lot's of experience with DJ , freestyle / half pie , BMX , and loads of urban street riding . i have been riding bikes since i was 6 and stopped because of work / injury when i was 20 - 21. about 9 years ago . i am not sure when you all say it would be better to learn on a HT over a full suspension really apply to me or not ?

side note :
i still lower the seat on every bike i have tried all the way down ... to the amusement of who ever is helping me at the bike shops :)

anyway i have been looking around a few local bike shops and i think i have found a few bikes i liked . 3 to be exact .

Iron Horse warrior 4.5
Iron Horse 3.5 HT
and Iron Horse 5.0 .

odly enough the 4.5 ( a full sus bike ) is speced out very similar to the 5.0 and 3.5 .
i am kind of leaning toward the 4.5 but still unsure .
sounds like you'd prefer a hardtail over an FS rig... Since you're looking into Ironhorses... check out the Yakuzas... AM worthy and pretty decent at DJ as well... The geometry might be something you'd be more used to as well over the XC ht geometry which you are looking at right now...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
mrpercussive said:
sounds like you'd prefer a hardtail over an FS rig... Since you're looking into Ironhorses... check out the Yakuzas... AM worthy and pretty decent at DJ as well... The geometry might be something you'd be more used to as well over the XC ht geometry which you are looking at right now...
sadly i have not been able to find any of the Yakuzas to test ride ...

i just got back home from test riding a GF Mullet SS .
http://www.fisherbikes.com/bike/model/mullet

this bike seemed the most comfortable of all i have test rode .
i am afraid it might be a little to aggressive of a bike for what i plan on using it for .
i do plan on jumping what ever bike i get but i need something that will be good XC as well.

any one have experience with the Mullet ???

again , thx for all the help every one :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.