Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to build a DH bike but want versatility as well. Looking at VP Free, Foes Fly, Transition Gran Mal. Any suggestions would help. I am 6'1 about 225. Want a bike that I can ride/race the DH stuff but also some agressive trail. What do you think? Should I be considering anythnig else?

·
Registered
213 Posts
foes fly baby! such and awsome bike built with that curnutt shock, butter, super stiff frame. my buddie races on his and that thing is awsome, i would defintly go with the foes for sure, also pedals pretty well.

·
N* Bomber Crew
4,271 Posts
DH bike....isn't the Fly and VP-Free Freeride bikes? I know I've seen them for Downhill but I feel that if you get a DH bike, get one with authentic Geometry designed for Downhill.

My .02

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
i would check geometry numbers first. the vpfree has a standover height of 32.3in. thats friggin lame. i like to ride inside the bike so standovers over 30in. bug me big time.
sounds like you need a frame like the demo 8. raceable and low standover and can handle a front der. do your research and i bet you will find a few frames like the demo 8 (that can race and freeride/trail).
but really your asking for a bike that does not exist. race and playride/huck/trail dont really go hand in hand. you will have to compromise.

·
Registered
9,984 Posts
jimi1114 said:
Looking to build a DH bike but want versatility as well. Looking at VP Free, Foes Fly, Transition Gran Mal. Any suggestions would help. I am 6'1 about 225. Want a bike that I can ride/race the DH stuff but also some agressive trail. What do you think? Should I be considering anythnig else?
If you are considering a VP-free you might wanna take a look at the Knolly V-tach. I added that into my search list and am more then happy with it as the overall winner. They (Noel) have been trying out the new rocco on one and it is supposed to be real nice for DH.

www.knollybikes.com

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Great feedback, thanks! I am looking at all that has been recommended. Has anyone taken a look at the Transition Gran Mal? http://transitionbikes.com/GranMal.cfm. These guys have got great feedback on their FR bikes, Dirtbag and Preston. What interest me in this bike is the flexibility you have with the geometry of the frame and ability to run just about any shock. I don't know if this makes a lot of sense or not, and the bike is just being released so I can't get feedback on it but for what the owners of the company say, which is all great of course.

Your thoughts?

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
jimi1114 said:
Great feedback, thanks! I am looking at all that has been recommended. Has anyone taken a look at the Transition Gran Mal? http://transitionbikes.com/GranMal.cfm. These guys have got great feedback on their FR bikes, Dirtbag and Preston. What interest me in this bike is the flexibility you have with the geometry of the frame and ability to run just about any shock. I don't know if this makes a lot of sense or not, and the bike is just being released so I can't get feedback on it but for what the owners of the company say, which is all great of course.

Your thoughts?
well it looks okay but with all the time proven designs out there i would go with something with race and freeride results.
like the demo 8, v10, canfield formula one or m3.
if you get a full on freeride bike imo you will shortchange yourself. they dont handle as well, are taller and slower. i know you dont want to hear this but there is no bike that will do what your asking. but a v10 and any good 5-6in trail bike (stinky, enduro, nomad, etc) will cover you for sure. if you were a light rider maybe some superlight dh race rig (orange 223 or the like) could do both but at 225 that wont work.

versatility and dh bike are like oil and water. they dont mix. but if you must do the one bike thing i would do this:
sc vpfree with two forks, hadley/823 wheels, hussefelts, hayes and a e13 two ring guide. i would run a triple crown like the new boxxer team or 888 for racing/ski resort shuttling and a fox 36 vanilla for trail riding/freeriding (unless the hucks were huge). the wheels/tubeless dh tires would be a little heavy for trail but they would climb. a second cheap trail wheelset with 2.3 trail tires would be nice too. you would not be able to beat riders of the same ability with true dh rigs but you could compete. and likewise you would be slower on the trail rides too (uphill). and at the djs you may not kill it. but it would do it "all".

ideally if you had the cash you should get a nomad and a canfield. it really takes at least two bikes to do what you ask. forget transition. not dissing them but i rate those frames below the top frames available right now. our race team was gonna do the grand mal thing but snowskilz came to his senses and went santa cruz instead. thank god. im either running my demo 8 or a new v10 next year.

jimi1114 i tried to ride a freeride bike with triple fork as a dh bike in 03. i had to risk death to keep up with riders on true dh bikes that i am better than. they would act cocky as they would be like 5 seconds ahead me. then we would switch bikes for half a run or so. i would wait for 40 seconds for the guy on my bike to show up. they would always mention that i was nuts to ride that bike at the speeds i was hittin. i got a dh bike and no more risking death to ride fast. stability at speed is essential. freeride bikes are twitchy at 30mph. they rule at 5mph on a skinny to drop section.

if you dont trust my opinion look on this forum. the freeriders mostly have dh chassis. wch, zachdank, smt, konabiker. they rarely or never race, yet their freeride bikes have dh frames and pretty much look like dh rigs (maybe heavier though). they may put sc forks on them or change tires but they still ride dh frames. lance canfield freerides on a race rig (as does his brother and rob sears). dh frames just work better for extreme type riding. full on freeride frames are a fad. they will be extinct soon. the all mountain/light freeride type frame will replace it soon as technology advances enough to make a sub 9.5lb frame that can handle prolonged abuse.

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
jimi1114 said:
Great feedback, thanks! I am looking at all that has been recommended. Has anyone taken a look at the Transition Gran Mal? http://transitionbikes.com/GranMal.cfm. These guys have got great feedback on their FR bikes, Dirtbag and Preston. What interest me in this bike is the flexibility you have with the geometry of the frame and ability to run just about any shock. I don't know if this makes a lot of sense or not, and the bike is just being released so I can't get feedback on it but for what the owners of the company say, which is all great of course.Your thoughts?
Had a Nicolai with set up close to the Mal wasnt all that. Go with the VP-Freee :)

·
Registered
420 Posts
True that no one can say if the Gran Mal is any good or not yet but coming from Transition there is a high chance it will be a winner. They've already hit it out of the park with the DirtBag and the Preston just check out reviews here and at pinkbike. I've been talking with the owners and asking questions because i'm considering a preston and they are suprisingly honest about things. When answering questions I didn't get the impression that they were just giving me the party talking points so to speak or the "awe man this bike kills it bro trust me" line. I think if you call them they will tell you point blank what the bike is or is not capable of.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
jimi1114 said:
Yea, you should get the best, an Uzzi VPX.
2 years ago Klassenvanorschott was getting on the podium with one in Norba D/H races.
It is the strongest built F/R bike made. They are framed with 2 downtubes.
Here is mine.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.