Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2005 Kona Dawg mountain bike recently, think I might have overbought for what riding I do, wife and I mostly ride local bike paths, some coastal trails along the ocean when trailer camping there, but no heavy duty offroad, I love the looks of the Dawg but it seems sluggish and heavy on the trails we ride, wife wants me to upgrade the tires from knobbies to Serfas Drifters for better rolling resistance, but I think I may need to reconsider going back to a light weight quality hardtail, any suggestions, I am leaning towards something like a Motobecane fantom Pro Ti. or??

·
What could go wrong ...
1,996 Posts
you probably will never need 6" of travel on the local bike paths so yeah its not the best bike for the type of riding you plan to do but it looks like you know what you do need, a lighter weight hardtail. Last year I got my SO a 2005 Kona Coiler and it turned out to be too much bike for the XC riding we do, sold it and moved on. let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I got a KHS 555 not long ago and I do mostly urban and trail, but some light free ride and heavier stuff as well. I'm also a bigger rider. I ended up deciding I like a hardtail for most my riding better, and just got a heavier/more durable hard tail to compensate for when I do free ride type stuff. If all you're on is trail though you're probably best off going with a light hardtail. There are plenty of good lightweight full suspensions too though, they just need to be a little more tailored to your riding than the one you got. Also, I don't know what you're budget is like, but have you looked at carbon frames? I wouldn't upgrade and replace tires to try and get your bike to something you like, sell it and buy something fit for you right off and I guarantee you'll enjoy it a lot more.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I got carried away with the looks of the Dawg when I bought it, it also fit me fine for my size when I road tested it, but just doesn't feel right on the trails, (wife can run circles around me) my last mountain bike was a superlight older M1000 cannondale, and I miss the lightness and responsiveness on the trails. Had to get rid of it since it was getting old and in need of major parts,etc. Plus I wanted front suspension which it didn't have. I am not up on current lightweight hardtails, models etc. Other than I saw the moto fantom pro ti, at around 22 lbs.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
You might be able to trade the Dawg with someone who wants to go bigger for a real nice hardtail of equal value which could keep you from losing any $ from changing bikes- just a thought.

·
Combat Wombat
1,848 Posts
propfishn said:
I bought a 2005 Kona Dawg mountain bike recently, think I might have overbought for what riding I do, wife and I mostly ride local bike paths, some coastal trails along the ocean when trailer camping there, but no heavy duty offroad, I love the looks of the Dawg but it seems sluggish and heavy on the trails we ride, wife wants me to upgrade the tires from knobbies to Serfas Drifters for better rolling resistance, but I think I may need to reconsider going back to a light weight quality hardtail, any suggestions, I am leaning towards something like a Motobecane fantom Pro Ti. or??
For the type of riding you are describing, I would seriously consider a rigid 29er.

Just wondering, what was the motivation for buying a Kona Dawg?

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
propfishn said:
My thoughts exactly on the trade, I posted an ad on our local craigslist today to that effect, no action yet.
If you are willing to ship you might have good luck posting it here in the classifieds as a trade. Also pinkbike.com is a more downhill/freeride focused site with a for trade section.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I got my 05 Kona Dawg sold finally, made some guy very happy! I been looking at lighter framed FS bikes still, The Dawg was 34 lbs. I am kinda interested in the Santa Cruz Superlight, that would give me the FS I want in a somewhat lighter bike. Still might end up with a hardtail, not sure, also looking at Specialized Stumpjumpers in hardtail, that is what the wife has. Hard part is I don't want to spend over 700.00 so that limits what I can look at.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
propfishn said:
Well, I got my 05 Kona Dawg sold finally, made some guy very happy! I been looking at lighter framed FS bikes still, The Dawg was 34 lbs. I am kinda interested in the Santa Cruz Superlight, that would give me the FS I want in a somewhat lighter bike. Still might end up with a hardtail, not sure, also looking at Specialized Stumpjumpers in hardtail, that is what the wife has. Hard part is I don't want to spend over 700.00 so that limits what I can look at.
For the riding you have said you do ANY full suspension bike is overkill. A hard tail or even rigid is best for your rides and budget, and do not be afraid to look at used bikes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the input, I am looking at used for sure, best bang for my bucks, I probably will settle for a Specialized Stumpjumper disc model if I can find a clean used one here local with good components.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
propfishn said:
I mostly ride local bike paths, some coastal trails along the ocean when trailer camping there, but no heavy duty offroad
For the riding you describe why do you feel you need suspension???

I agree with others, you sound like a perfect candidate for a RIGID bike.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I had a 2008 Giant XTC Alliance hardtail with a Reba up front... I miss that bike every time I ride XC. It rode so well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Finally found a bike I really like, ended up buying a used Santa Cruz Superlight, 2006 model, much lighter than the Dawg about 6.5 lbs lighter, not as clean, but will slowly upgrade the few parts it needs replacing to clean it up, frame is nice shape, rims like new, will need shifters and brake controllers is about it to upgrade the looks to par. Has XT derailleurs, Push rebuilt rear shock, very decent bike, I am happy. FS and a light bike to boot.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.