Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I've been riding a road bike for years and have recently started mountain biking. It is just a blast and I can't wait to get my own machine. Therein lies the problem, I need some advice about the best bang for my buck. A little information:

- I'm 6'4", 205 lbs., 37 yrs. young
- I ride on a variety of trails...some relatively smooth, some pretty rough with roots, rocks, etc. I do a little jumping but will likely do more as I get more comfortable
- I would like a full suspension bike (seems to offer the most possibilities)
- My budget is $1300
- I don't have bike-source preferences (e.g., LBS, online, etc.)
- I've just started looking online and it seems the Motobecane Fantom DS Elite is a good deal (http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/fantom_eds.htm) compared to just a few other bikes I've seen.

Any advice about the Motobecane would be great. I would also love to hear other recommendations.

Many thanks!

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
At your height, I would recommend a 29er. However, with $1300 your going to be hard pressed to find a full suspension 29er new. Hardtail 29ers ride significantly smoother than a hardtail 26er...but it won't replace full suspension if your dead set on it.

If your interested, the Windsor Cliff 29er Team offers a fantastic value for the money.

·
Dawgwalker
209 Posts
MBA Mag Buyers Guide Feb '09

Giant Yukon FX $850
Haro Shift R3 $1145
Lapierre Technic FS 900 $1499

Plenty others not in guide.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
FS 29er for $2k?

Many thanks "pcxmbfj" and "mtnbiker72"! I really appreciate the advice. I will start researching those possibilities.

I've had several people tell me that I need a 29er. I've only ridden one and it wasn't for long. It felt great, but I also missed the rear suspension.

At what price point do FS 29ers start? If I upped my cap to $2k, could I get a full suspension 29er of good quality?

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
Well...the Fisher's start at $2500 BUT here is a suggestion

Get the Windsor for $980 then a full suspension frame such as the Voodoo Canzo for $800. All you'll need is a headset(traditional) and a front derailleur (bottom swing), everything else will swap over from the Windsor. You could probably sell the Windsor frame for $100-$150 so you'll be under $2000 even if you have a shop do the work for you.

Just a thought

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Yeah it may be a tight fit on the 19 inch frame there but um isn't this thread titled "what bike would you buy" not "what bike should I buy"?

But anyway, Motobecane seems to have a pretty solid rep if, like with Ibex, you don't mind ordering online and I can say for certain that the Giant Yukon FX has been well received.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Iron Horse MKIII

I'd say go to Rscycle.com, order up one of the Iron Horse MKIIIs. They'll coach you on the size, but 21" probably. You'll have a few choices (Sport/Trail/Comp models) in 07 or 08 models.

Prices are nice, but move a bit. They just had some great 25% off w/ free shipping, but have since cut prices a bit and dropped the 25%. You can easily stay in your $$ range.

Friend bought from them. Good service, loves the bike.

My $.02. Good luck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Does anyone offer complete steel 29er bikes? It seems that steel is frame only nowadays.

Also, the Windsor for $980 is only offered in the small frame size. Do you think "small" is too small for someone 5'8"?

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
I would think the 17" would be about the right size for someone 5'8"...its got a 23" ETT (effective top tube) which should be good.

Good catch on the low stock though, having only a 17" might not work out for the OP even if he would part it out because the fork steerer might be cut too short for a 20" Voodoo frame.

I've heard that BikesDirect will be coming out with a higher spec'd Motobecane 29er soon.

PS-KHS, Jamis, Redline, and Haro offer steel 29ers complete

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks everyone for the advice!

Thanks very much to everyone who provided advice, it's been a huge help! I really appreciate the input and will definitely have to keep doing some research and try riding as many of these possibilities as I can.

Thanks again!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.