Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 6' and 160lbs, and i'm going to buy a decent bike for urban riding. i'm going to do some 6'-12' drops on it, a lot of stair jumpind, jumping on the picknic tables, benches in the park and so on. also i'd like to use it for commuting (it should be not very slow and enouth of the seat height for quit comfortable riding). I'm looking for specialized p.3.
http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBk...p?sid=05PSeries
but i'd apreciate any coments or advises, what bike will suite the best the riding i'm going to do, maby i should go fo FS bike, or to buy just a frame and build it up myself.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
819 Posts
p.3's are pretty sick. so are t he p.2's. soul cycles has some good stuff. i like hardtails more for urban and commuting. i would also look at used bikes.

·
Registered
228 Posts
The P. seriouse is a good choice however they aren't as good for 6 - 12 foot drops. If you wanted the tope of line HT go with a Banshee Morphine, however if you wante a bike that preforms just as good but doesn't have as highend components look at Norco's Shore Hardtails http://www.norco.com/05/2005bikes/shore.php , I ride a Norco HT and I am still amazed at the versitilty and strength of it, I can just point and shoot the bike and it just rides through asking for more. Definately the best bang for a biker on a budget or seasoned pros at that. There are also many different price ranges availible so you can easly find the right bike.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
If money is no object id say go Evil Imperial with a Breakout Plus. Great, super burly ht that can take anything you have to offer (Ps. The fork is adjustable from 170mm to 130mm so you can do urban in the 5" mode and drops and such in the 7" mode.)

·
Registered
34 Posts
get a giant stp. there are three in the series and the best one costs only 1000 bucks. the set ups are not all that bad and all of my friends that ride them love them.

·
Clever Slogan
543 Posts
Owned several...

I've had a Balfa Minuteman & a P3, both are too small for your height. At least, they were too small for what I liked and I'm 6ft. tall. Also consider frame/component integrity, especially if you're going to be doing 6-12 ft. drops. I did a 6 ft. to flat on the scratch on Sunday, no problems. the 48 spoke rear wheel is good, I weigh 250 lbs.

sticking with this:

Attachments

·
Bad Hand In Life
154 Posts
I'd have to second a STP. Top of the line model starts just under $1000. Great specs for the money and you'd have some extra cash for upgrades. I know a couple people with them, and no regrets for urban riding what so ever. But, how about a frame and then build it up for less than, lets say a P3 with better specs. Check out the Da Bomb Boom Box frame from Cambria Bike, $200.

·
Registered
215 Posts
The Imperial is a bit inconvinient for commuting (I own one)
If money is no object: Sinister Ridge with Sherman Jumper 1.5
Otherwise: Giant STP or Spec. P series, both are good IMO.

Coldfire

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, i'm going to spend something around $1500, as far as i see Banshee is the perfect HT for big drops, but it's too weighty for some tricks like bunnyhop (i guess), and it probably will overgo my budget compleatly build, I was looking for Giant STP before but but most of the parts looks not very good for my riding. I have now opinion about evil, but it seams quite dificult to find. I'm coming from Lithuania to work in Louisiana, Lake Charles for this summer, and don't know bike shops were i can build up my bike. Maby i could find some good bike Shops i texas or so.

·
Registered
819 Posts
id look at the cannodale chase 1. sick bike
the transition trail or park looks awsome-bit heavy but steel
azionic steel head steel
santa cruz chameleon

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Red Bull said:
Whats your AIM again?
Basically i'm going to do some park riding (i mean bunnyhoping, jumping from stairs or custom made platforms), some riding in skateparks (i'm not sure if it's the right word :D)
Besides that i'd like to use the bike for commuting and to do some big jumps, but it seams that i'm loking for too much versatile bike, so i can narow with urban riding if it's not posible to have quite a good bike for all my wants in one bike.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
sToNedRidER said:
Basically i'm going to do some park riding (i mean bunnyhoping, jumping from stairs or custom made platforms), some riding in skateparks (i'm not sure if it's the right word :D)
Besides that i'd like to use the bike for commuting and to do some big jumps, but it seams that i'm loking for too much versatile bike, so i can narow with urban riding if it's not posible to have quite a good bike for all my wants in one bike.
Well, than id go for the P3. Its nice to have people like you around here, they understand that they arent going to get a bike that can do everything, and realize it.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Hey I ride an 05' Specialized P3. I ride alot of urban with it and it suits the job well. Im right at 6'0" and the geometry feels great. Id highly recommend the bike! Also, I dont know about shops in Louisiana but there are some good shops that deal Specialized and other brands here in central Texas (thats where I live). I can give you all the names of shops around here if you are going to buy a bike in Texas. :cool:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
mtb care bear said:
Hey I ride an 05' Specialized P3. I ride alot of urban with it and it suits the job well. Im right at 6'0" and the geometry feels great. Id highly recommend the bike! Also, I dont know about shops in Louisiana but there are some good shops that deal Specialized and other brands here in central Texas (thats where I live). I can give you all the names of shops around here if you are going to buy a bike in Texas. :cool:
Considering that i'm coming in US for summer, probably i'll not be able to buy a car, and for transportation i'll be using a buses or so. i found one specialized shop which is closest to the place where i'm going to stay
BEAUMONT BICYCLE SPORTS INC
2770 INTERSTATE 10 EAST
BEAUMONT, TX 77703
it's about 60 miles to go. but the other adresses would help if thease shops arn't very far from the buss stations.
Tahnx a lot.

·
Registered
308 Posts
sToNedRidER said:
p3 p3 p3 p3 all i have to say is i have hit up to a 15' drop on mine and it took it like a champ i also ride park street and dh and dj and i love my bike and im 6'1" 185 p3 all the way ready to rip out the box.. :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
i personally built up a surly instigator (BURLY!!!) and i love it, the only problem i have is that i cant quite hop up a 5 stair like i used to (weight). But after snapping an aluminium head tube i didnt want to take any risks, so i started riding steel.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.