Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently been getting into DJing and free riding with a specialized rockhopper (its has been taking a beating) I want to get a new bike for djing and freeriding Im looking to spend around 700 bucks, I would be willing to go a bit higher if it was worth it. I also would use this bike for some some light xc so SS is outta the question.

these are the bikes ive looked at Kona Shred/scrap, GT chucker and rukus, the p2 and stp (a little more than id want to pay). I might be able to get an awsome deal on an Iron horse sachem 5.0 but does a 140mm travel fork suit djing ?

so my question is what would be the best bike for me (a good bike to learn dj'ing and freeriding but also at least somewhat capable of climbing) ?

thanks

·
40 oz to freedom
1,049 Posts
The Kona's, P2, STP and all amazing bikes. I would highly reccomend them to anyone looking for a good started DJ bike.

The GT's are well lets say lacking for a DJ bike. You wont be happy with it IMO.

And for XC riding I think you would be fine with a single speed, just make sure you get the right gearing. Sure its harder and takes more skill but you'll feel more accomplished once you do. I just set my bike in a gear I like when I'm riding XC and ride my heart out.

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
Vinny :rolleyes:

the GT's are very capable for DJ. GT make some very high quality bikes.

P.2, STP Kona are very good bikes. if you're wanting to do some XC every once and a while, dont get the STP they arent as friendly to the trail :p I use a P. series for everything. I've seen a lot of guys XC riding on cowans etc.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for all the advice. I guess its narrowed down to the kona, p series or STP.....just a matter of finding a good deal on one.....are there any other brands I should maybe look at?

·
40 oz to freedom
1,049 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
bentMywookie said:
ok maybe ill sack up and not put SS out of the question.

is this a good deal on a good bike , KHS dirt jump 300 for 569.99
http://wheelworld.com/itemdetails.cfm?catalogId=39&id=3885

the same site is selling frames for what looks like a good deal http://wheelworld.com/itemlist.cfm?category=87

khs dirt jump for 119.00 or Bump APblaster for 179.00 are these good deals? myabe i could do a cheap ss build up (i have good access to used parts) .
"This manufacturer currently prohibits us from selling this item via Mail Order. We can only sell this item in our retail store. However, if you have a friend or a relative that can walk-in and make the purchase, we can ship it to where ever they ask. We are very sorry for the inconvenience but also want to remain loyal to our distributor's wishes. Thank you for your understanding and please visit us soon!"

you'd have to pick it up from them in person. extremly good deal though.

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
Vinny A said:
Really Todd? Would you care to point out a few? The Ruckus DJ is the only DJ bike they have that I would consider touching. Its also significantly more than the P.1 or P.2 Cromo. It is also more than most Konas.
http://www.gtbikes.com/mountain/catalog/detail.php?id=2726&country=usa&brand=moun
Yeah, it has pretty good specs, I still think its too much money.
GT UF 26 and 24. the duro fork has held up great on my friends bike. its not the best fork. but still. the 24" version is a SICK bike. amazing value. I got my friend to get one, one really slick bike.

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
bentMywookie said:
yeah it would be a 2 hour drive fer me. Do ya think I should get the whole bike or be better off with the frame and make a ss build out of it
go for the whole build. that is one sick bike. I know that if I have the $$$$ when I head over that way, I might pick one up.

·
40 oz to freedom
1,049 Posts
todd_freeride said:
GT UF 26 and 24. the duro fork has held up great on my friends bike. its not the best fork. but still. the 24" version is a SICK bike. amazing value. I got my friend to get one, one really slick bike.
I completely agree with you on the 24." The only reason why I didn't mention it is because I thought we were talking about 26" here, and with a suspension fork.

However I think the 26" is horrible. The fork sucks so much, I wouldn't touch it just because of the fork.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.