Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hows it going looking to buy a hardtail bike i have a hardtime choosing between these my budget is under 1k wich one should i get?

1.giant talon 29er
2.specialized rock hopper sport
3.diamondback overdrive sport
4.trek marlin 5 6 or 7

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dont really kno much bout mtb but i the trek marlin 7 is nice and the diamondback overdrive sport is nice too but dont really like the color scheme blue

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
$1k will get you a lot of used bike. Also start asking around about end of model year closeouts. You can save a LOT of money buying a 2014 bike or a 2015 once the 2016's hit the shops. I got my last bike for nearly 50% off last year because it was a 2013 left over.

·
Registered
172 Posts
If your budget is 1K, why not step up to the Trek X-Caliber 7 or 8? Both are a step up from the Marlin.

·
Super Moderator
2,165 Posts
The Marlin 7 has a really bad fork. Rockhopper sport is ok.

You can get a really good deal on an used one that's in mint condition.

·
Registered
9 Posts
On the overdrive sport, Nashbar.com has them in grey but they are out of stock until 8-05-15. When they are in stock and doing their normal sale, they go for around 529.

I got my last year 2014 version from them in april for 388 plus tax and 15 for shipping and used the money I saved to put the suntour raidon fork on through suntour's upgrade program. I doubt I will find a deal like that again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok thats a good choise also i think i over exaggerate with the 1k if i can save money and get something decent that would be great i thing the overdrive is nice then i can use some of the money and upgrade it

·
Registered
9 Posts
Once dialed in I am impressed. I did have a shop reverse the brake handles as I always rode motocross style in the past. I dont think they tightened it down enough as the front blew out oil and I gotta fix that.

I got the Xl as im 6'5 and it felt perfect to me
The brakes, when working were very nice. Not top of the line or anything for my first try at hydraulics, they felt really good

Rear alcera derailleure seemed a little "clunky" but seems to lighten up a little with break in.

I was too heavy for the xcr front fork so i went from max preload to an air raidon that I dialed in with 15 cc of oil in the air chamber and sag set good. Felt much better than the xcr on trails.

This was my first 29er so the thing i noticed was a little more rolling resistance on paved roads than i thought I would have. But, when I got on trails, I found where this thing really shined.

When I first got it, I did change some parts out. I put a wtb pure saddle on it. I changed the grips out to some larger diameter oury lock grips. I did the raidon fork and I got a nice set of platform pedals to replace the generic ones it came with. I changed out the rear tire to a forte tsali.

I'm quite happy with my purchase as getting the deal on it made it very worth while. The thing about getting the lower level bike, it will come with the lower level parts. Sometimes when you spend a little more, there is less things you change out of the gate. I did tons of research and ignored the "Diamondbacks suck" sentiment, dialed it in and the thing feels great to me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts